Quantcast

Tearing off derailers

SomeFear

Chimp
Nov 17, 2004
We need help trying to figure out why our derailers keeps getting torn off.
Heres the low down .. Kona Stinky... on drops or just recently dirt jumping . The chain seems to be slacking (guess on the slacking) and ends up behide first gear, ounce this happens wheel locks and the derailer is simply torn off. Tension on the chain seems ok. Last derailer was a long cage .. not sure if this could add to the problem. We put a front guide (single ring) on the bike to keep everything square. We were thinking the chain was droping up front then causing the havac in the back. Any ideas?

Handlebarsfsr

Monkey
Dec 6, 2004
ct
for whatever reason, stinky's seem to enjoy distroying derailleurs, especially sram's. i ate through 6 this season.

Benton

Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
SLC
I'm not sure I understand your description. Is the chain getting sucked in between the spokes and the cassette? If so you might be able to adjust your deraileur hard stops to prevent that, or get one of those super cool dork disks that sits between the cassette and the spokes.

Jayridesacove

Turbo Monkey
Feb 21, 2004
Falls Church, VA
see if your hanger is bent first, if it is, replace it.

other then that, fine tune the shifting limits using the adjustment screws.

if your bike only goes downhill, you might consider shortening your chain so you can't shift into the large cog.

MikeT

Monkey
Feb 17, 2002
Hell
yea what Jay said. Make sure u set ur upper limit, so that the deraiileur cant move beyond the biggest gear. Adjust the limit so that when u shift, u can BARELY get onto the biggest gear. Also make sure ur chain is not too long. In ur biggest gears front and rear, the deraileur should be almost at FULL extension, but not as tight as it wont let u shift down.