Quantcast

Tech 2 idler to Tech 3 Stealth Idler....?

RMboy

Monkey
Dec 1, 2006
England the Great...
Tech 2 idler to Tech 3 Stealth Idler....?

How is the new one more stealth when its a harder material?

Just wanted to know if anyone knows. I know its abit random, but i do industrial design so the small details interest me!

I have set mine up, and its all in in line, but makes quite a lot of noise.. But as soon as i changed the idler to the old one, with the softer material its alot better....:confused:

Anyone who designed it on this forum?

(oh the rest of it is very very well designed, good luck on trying to improve that in the next few years, if you do i don't think anything else will stand a chance)

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
The old one was horrible, I know it wasn't just me. It swells up and falls off the bearing. Absolute rubbish - top work e13, I emailed them and they didn't offer to replace it. Even though I had the same thing happen with two (brand new) guides and various chainlubes, and the part can't cost them more than a few bucks.

I had a friend that had the same thing happen to him. They just told me to buy a new chainguide - thanks guys. Great support.

Anyway, I believe the tech3 idler fixes this issue. I presume they found a material that doesn't react to chains and lubes, you know those things that rollers are exposed to. :)

RMboy

Monkey
Dec 1, 2006
England the Great...
The old one was horrible, I know it wasn't just me. It swells up and falls off the bearing. Absolute rubbish - top work e13, I emailed them and they didn't offer to replace it. Even though I had the same thing happen with two (brand new) guides and various chainlubes, and the part can't cost them more than a few bucks.

I had a friend that had the same thing happen to him. They just told me to buy a new chainguide - thanks guys. Great support.

Anyway, I believe the tech3 idler fixes this issue. I presume they found a material that doesn't react to chains and lubes, you know those things that rollers are exposed to. :)
Wow, swelled up? What lube did you use to do that? I have put on a few different ones and the idler seems to stay the same.

Yeah it must cost them practically nothing to produce them.. Still cost a fortune though to replace.. seems a bit unfair!:D

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Wow, swelled up? What lube did you use to do that? I have put on a few different ones and the idler seems to stay the same.
DW mentioned this in the E13 forum

Hey guys,

I'm going to let Michael chime in on this because he has all of the info, but as of the end of 2008/ beginning of 2009 we switched to a new chemical resistant and slightly higher durmoeter idler material . We did a lot of testing with different lubes and the new material has no ill effects with any lubes we could find. The sliders are still susceptible to any petroleum based lubricants, so beware. We tested sound levels at 6' with a nifty decibel gage, and the sound difference between the new roller and old roller is negligible, so it was a win-win all around.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Yeah basically that post above is a clean way of saying our last generation of roller reacted with some common lubricants (I've used fully synthetic products in at least one of the swelling cases, still happened) and so we fixed it.

Just a little annoyed that they wouldn't have the decency to send me a couple of rollers (sans bearings would have been fine) when I asked politely and went as far as providing serial numbers for the complete bikes they came on. Clearly there was a problem or they wouldn't have fixed it, yet they won't honour an incredibly cheap request?

E13 are you listening? Take a page from Malcolm @ Cane Creek's book, upon having a tiny leak from my DB, I was sent a brand new shock no questions asked, while I still had the old shock; which they then refunded my return shipping for. <3

PhilipW

Monkey
Mar 13, 2007
Leominster, MA
Yeah basically that post above is a clean way of saying our last generation of roller reacted with some common lubricants (I've used fully synthetic products in at least one of the swelling cases, still happened) and so we fixed it.

Just a little annoyed that they wouldn't have the decency to send me a couple of rollers (sans bearings would have been fine) when I asked politely and went as far as providing serial numbers for the complete bikes they came on. Clearly there was a problem or they wouldn't have fixed it, yet they won't honour an incredibly cheap request?

E13 are you listening? Take a page from Malcolm @ Cane Creek's book, upon having a tiny leak from my DB, I was sent a brand new shock no questions asked, while I still had the old shock; which they then refunded my return shipping for. <3
Warranties are usually handled by your countries respective distributor. It was a little dodgy in Australia as we switched to a new distributor, but now Dirt Works is up and running and should have replacement parts.

Unlike the original SRS roller design, the Tech2 and Tech3 rollers are molded around the actual bearing, and comes as a complete unit. Tech 1 used a molded plastic piece that literally lasts forever, at the expense of making some crazy moto sounds.

We did blind testing between the Tech2 and Tech3 materials, and (when new) there is no noticeable noise difference between the two materials.

UDI, shoot me an email (philipw@e13components.com) and I'll get you hooked up with the Warranty guy at DirtWorks (Jonathan).

Cheers,
philip