Quantcast

Tech Poll: Does it matter to you if your music player uses the Microsoft Music Engine

Does it matter about the Microsoft Music Engine?

• Yes

Votes: 4 40.0%
  • No

Votes: 4 40.0%
  • Don't know/don't use music player

Votes: 2 20.0%

• Total voters

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/03/09/technology/circuits/09pogue.html
Like almost all non-iPod music players, the Z5 is based on Microsoft's music-player software. That is, it doesn't work with the Macintosh. And while the Z5 can't play songs from Apple's iTunes Music Store, it can play songs from Rhapsody, Napster, Musicmatch, MSN Music, Wal-Mart, AOL Music Now, Yahoo Music and other members of the "MMS-MMS" consortium (Microsoft-based Music Stores with Minuscule Market Share).

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Sigh... Microsoft really had a chance to take a big chunk of Apple's market share. Unfortunately, iTunes is too integrated into people's brains and lack of iTunes support is going to be a deal breaker for a lot of people. IMO.

I'm not sure if iTunes support is proprietary, though, so it may not be Microsoft's fault...

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
binary visions said:
Sigh... Microsoft really had a chance to take a big chunk of Apple's market share. Unfortunately, iTunes is too integrated into people's brains and lack of iTunes support is going to be a deal breaker for a lot of people.

I'm not sure if iTunes support is proprietary, though, so it may not be Microsoft's fault...
BTW, my thinking before I bought an Ipod was that I wanted something else, because I didn't want to be beholden to the industry leader. But I found out that all the players use MS products, I was like, Fascism is bad, so I am going to join the Nazi party...

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
apple hit the nail on the head with how a portable music player should work. i've used a lot of them in the past, and was always frustrated. i used to use mini-discs, but grew frustrated at having to manually convert many songs into the proper format (and some just wouldn't work period). i liked the MD's because of size and cost. software was the downside. itunes may all be proprietary, but it works, plain and simple. i just wish they would come out with a linux version, i want to cut all ties from micro$oft.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
sanjuro said:
BTW, my thinking before I bought an Ipod was that I wanted something else, because I didn't want to be beholden to the industry leader. But I found out that all the players use MS products, I was like, Fascism is bad, so I am going to join the Nazi party...
I don't really take market share into consideration when I buy things... If I want Shimano, I buy Shimano because it works best for me, I don't boycott them just because they're the industry leader.

This Zune player could be an awesome little device. They're going to support peer-to-peer song streaming via WiFi, so if your buddy has the same player, you can stream songs to each other. Very neat. Nice, big screen, too.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
binary visions said:
I don't really take market share into consideration when I buy things... If I want Shimano, I buy Shimano because it works best for me, I don't boycott them just because they're the industry leader.

This Zune player could be an awesome little device. They're going to support peer-to-peer song streaming via WiFi, so if your buddy has the same player, you can stream songs to each other. Very neat. Nice, big screen, too.
I agree about market share, but Shimano does not prevent technology improvements or have a monopoly...

bballe336

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2005
MA
binary visions said:
The zune will go belly up very fast. If you have been reading up on it then you probably know what I'm talking about. The yare releasing multiple versions apparently. One will be music only, some can do video and games, and so on. Basically instead of making a player that does video, games, music, chat, internet, etc they are making multiple players. Not to mention the lack of iTunes support will drive away most customers. Plus I am betting that the price will be something outrageous.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
bballe336 said:
The zune will go belly up very fast. If you have been reading up on it then you probably know what I'm talking about. The yare releasing multiple versions apparently. One will be music only, some can do video and games, and so on. Basically instead of making a player that does video, games, music, chat, internet, etc they are making multiple players. Not to mention the lack of iTunes support will drive away most customers. Plus I am betting that the price will be something outrageous.
And that "What if MS produced the Ipod" video really sums it up...