Quantcast

Tech Question

sixgun_sound

Monkey
Sep 24, 2007
Yakima, WA
I ride a Giant STP 1. Single chainring.

I got a new chain and chainring last night, and the new chainring is a little bit wider. So now my e13 chainguide "squeezes" the chain at certain points in the rotation. Not the bashgaurd, but the part that sits behind the chainring.

-Since it's only at some points during the rotation, does that mean that my spider is bent? (really, it's just one point in the rotation of the chainring.)

-Is there a way to straighten a spider?

-This weather is awesome. Can I take the e13 deal off until I figure this out?

w00dy

In heaven there is no beer
Jun 18, 2004
that's why we drink it here
It's not uncommon to have a little wander in your chain ring especially if you're bashing it off things. Your call on taking it off. Dropping the chain a few times is better than not riding for sure.

sixgun_sound

Monkey
Sep 24, 2007
Yakima, WA
Definitely not bashing it off of things, and since the chainring is brand new, I figure the spider must be bent. Unless the spindle isn't straight. The guys at the shop told me to just get a file and remove some plastic from the e13 guide pieces. I guess that's the right thing to do...

BikeMike

Monkey
Feb 24, 2006
Another possibility is that the chain ring is out of true. It shouldn't be, since it's new and all, but it happens...if you see a wobble in the chain ring, you can GENTLY bend it back into shape with a large crescent wrench or slotted bar stock.

scag

Monkey
Nov 19, 2004
Sounds like it has to do with how you tighten the bolt that connects the crank arm to the chain ring and bash guard. play with the adjustment on that. Mine does the same thing, rides fine.

sixgun_sound

Monkey
Sep 24, 2007
Yakima, WA
Sounds like it has to do with how you tighten the bolt that connects the crank arm to the chain ring and bash guard. play with the adjustment on that. Mine does the same thing, rides fine.
You mean the four chainring bolts? I used a dremel tool to remove A LOT of material from the plastic guides, but I don't think it made a difference at all. When I take the crank arm off, I notice there is a washer that sits behind it on the spindle. Can I just put a few more washers in there?

Also, I like to ride in 7th gear at the jumps, but since I got the new chain, it seems to be skipping teeth or something, but only in 7th gear. Just my luck. Is this because the new chain is too long? It seems really loose.

Thanks for the help, I grew up with BMX bikes. I'm new to these kinds of complications.

Jun 29, 2007
Alabama
If the chainring is a 4mm thick DH type ring then it's not gonna work perfect with the E13. E13 guides are designed to work with a standard chainring, ss ring, or E13 guidering. These rings have a 1.5mm half-step. Thicker DH rings have a 2mm half-step. Doesn't sound like much but it's enough to make an E13 not work without rubbing. You're better off with a ramped ring if this is the case. The best option with an E13 is definitely their guidering.

sixgun_sound

Monkey
Sep 24, 2007
Yakima, WA
Well thank you to the stupid idiots at Greg's Greenlake Cycle in Seattle Washington. I'll never go in there again. If anyone in Seattle is reading this, spit on that place twice when you drive by it.

The guy talked me into the $50 chainring, come to find out the $30 one would have worked better. I hate that place.

If anyone cares, I've been riding a few days without the guides on, just the bashguard. No problems.

bent^biker

Turbo Monkey
Feb 22, 2006
pdx
Well thank you to the stupid idiots at Greg's Greenlake Cycle in Seattle Washington. I'll never go in there again. If anyone in Seattle is reading this, spit on that place twice when you drive by it.

The guy talked me into the $50 chainring, come to find out the $30 one would have worked better. I hate that place.

If anyone cares, I've been riding a few days without the guides on, just the bashguard. No problems.
ya greggs basically doesn't know anything about decent bikes. just take your stuff down to zeb at fluidride, he knows his ish. oh, and your skipping is prolly is due to too long of a chain, just leave enough links in that you can run in your largest diameter gear with your der stretched to the max.