Quantcast

Technology is out of control…

Apr 3, 2005
12th smartest state
so who has an ipod that bikes with it...i had a g3 15gb one but it crapped out on me so i bought a 4 gb nano and ive contimplated taking it biking for several reasons:
-wanna hear the wind n my ear
-dont wanna break it if i wipe out
-dont wanna ruin the ride
and several others

what do u guys think?

mindlessfr

Monkey
Sep 8, 2004
richmond, va
Westy said:
Meanwhile Automotive technology has barely made but a few baby steps in 30 years.
i must disagree cars today have more computer systems in them than the rocket in the first apollo mission. im in an automotive tech class in high school and trust me the electrical systems of old cars vs. new cars theres a major difference. and not to mention all the other technical aspects of the engine and drivetrain:mumble:

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Can we please shut up about old tech? We all know how ****e it was. Now let us focus on the glorious shiny offerings of tomorrow.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
mindlessfr said:
i must disagree cars today have more computer systems in them than the rocket in the first apollo mission. im in an automotive tech class in high school and trust me the electrical systems of old cars vs. new cars theres a major difference. and not to mention all the other technical aspects of the engine and drivetrain:mumble:
You are talking about the means and not the ends. Considering the pace of almost every other technology cars have moved little. The actual performance has improved very little. Jet engines have become significanlty more powerful, quieter and more effiecient over the past 20 years yet we are still getting the same MPG out of slightly more powerful engines. The only real improvements have come in the ways of safety.

justsomeguy

Monkey
Oct 3, 2005
Westy said:
The actual performance has improved very little.
I disagree.

Flog a 70's era Corvette, Porsche, Ferrari, MB, etc. around the track for a while and then do the same in a modern day equivalent and the significant performace differences are readily apparent.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
justsomeguy said:
I disagree.

Flog a 70's era Corvette, Porsche, Ferrari, MB, etc. around the track for a while and then do the same in a modern day equivalent and the significant performace differences are readily apparent.
Really expensive cars have gotten even more expensive and better. Look at the average joe daily driver.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Westy said:
You are talking about the means and not the ends. Considering the pace of almost every other technology cars have moved little. The actual performance has improved very little. Jet engines have become significanlty more powerful, quieter and more effiecient over the past 20 years yet we are still getting the same MPG out of slightly more powerful engines. The only real improvements have come in the ways of safety.
Not meaning to start a bitchfest, b/c you're mainly correct, but the safety improvements you tout are the #1 reason vehicle weights have skyrocketed despite use of lightweight materials. If you compare the current version of a vehicle to the same car 20 years ago, in terms of emissions/power/MPG/reliability, the advances would become pretty clear.

Back when I was driving my 79 subaru 4x4 wagon, which was only slightly more modern than my 67 VW camper, I couldn't conceive of a 300hp STI being the result of the technological evolution of that basic design.

justsomeguy

Monkey
Oct 3, 2005
Westy said:
Really expensive cars have gotten even more expensive and better. Look at the average joe daily driver.
The same comparison that illustrates the significant performace differences can be done for "average" cars. Pinto vs. Contour, Caprice vs. Cobalt, etc.