Quantcast

Technology-Sports Rant

Gumbo

Chimp
Jun 29, 2007
Stow, MA
Technology is great for the sports fan, and can suck too! Classic example is today - I DVR'd the Celtics Game 7 against the Cavs since my daughter is in her second 3-hour dance recital of the weekend. It overlaps completely in timing. But, as you know, the critical thing about recording a game is not hearing the score otherwise it is pointless to watch. The beers were on ice and I just had to make it through the recital.

This is where the doofus comes in. With cell phones anyone can pick up scores. At the intermission I actually stay in my seat so I can avoid the lobby where someone will certainly spout out the score. But then the doofus right in front of me says the score:disgust1: I mean have some respect - if you are a real sport fan you would be recording it too. He just needed to seem important with his awesome connectivity to the world.

The good news! - my daughter already finished her dance and wanted to sit with us so I abandoned my seat and told my wife it was OK and I would sit in the car in the rain and wait for the end of the show. It would be brownie points except my wife knows it is only since I want to see the game without knowing the score.

Better news! I get in the car and my wife calls my cell and says she found a ride home so I get to take off.

Anyways - the moral of the story is don't blurt out the score and be a spoiler! Let the hard core sports junkies enjoy their fix and shut the f... up:clapping:

MTBstud12

Monkey
Jan 24, 2008
Tejas
Technology is great for the sports fan, and can suck too! Classic example is today - I DVR'd the Celtics Game 7 against the Cavs since my daughter is in her second 3-hour dance recital of the weekend. It overlaps completely in timing. But, as you know, the critical thing about recording a game is not hearing the score otherwise it is pointless to watch. The beers were on ice and I just had to make it through the recital.

This is where the doofus comes in. With cell phones anyone can pick up scores. At the intermission I actually stay in my seat so I can avoid the lobby where someone will certainly spout out the score. But then the doofus right in front of me says the score:disgust1: I mean have some respect - if you are a real sport fan you would be recording it too. He just needed to seem important with his awesome connectivity to the world.

The good news! - my daughter already finished her dance and wanted to sit with us so I abandoned my seat and told my wife it was OK and I would sit in the car in the rain and wait for the end of the show. It would be brownie points except my wife knows it is only since I want to see the game without knowing the score.

Better news! I get in the car and my wife calls my cell and says she found a ride home so I get to take off.

Anyways - the moral of the story is don't blurt out the score and be a spoiler! Let the hard core sports junkies enjoy their fix and shut the f... up:clapping:
People are just ignorant! Glad you got to enjoy the game!

I get the updates on my Blackberry, but always ask before i state the scores i receive.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Next time, lean in and YELL, "Dude, SPOILER!" Seriously tho, I would've said something.

Did your daughter podium?

Gumbo

Chimp
Jun 29, 2007
Stow, MA
My daughter did great! It was an end of the year recital not a competition - don't get me wrong - she was the focus of attention but both nights she was on for 3 minutes so after that my mind can wander without guilt. I was the good Dad and recorded it for all to see for eternityh. Yes it can be very difficult being a sports fan but it helps being a Boston fan these days:banana:

No matter where you are a fan though you don't need the spoiler:disgust: You are right I should have called him out but I didn't:banghead:

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
What kind of "real sports fan" skips the big game to watch some lame dance recital?

Pfffffft.