Quantcast

telescoping seat post

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
What are the options out there? Is the Titec the only one out there?

Im looking for something more like the Titec but light.

Last edited:

slowitdown

Monkey
Mar 30, 2009
I think Kanter is talking about posts like the Titec Scoper, not a Crank Bros Joplin or Gravity Dropper styled post... I think he means a post designed for a bike with a really short seat tube, or a seat tube that is interrupted with a pivot or other choke point that won't allow full insertion.

Kanter, that Titec Scoper is the only one I know of. It seems a lot of frame mfrs are trying to get away from that problem that makes a Scoper the right call, which suggests there isn't much of a market for competition for the Scoper.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
I think Kanter is talking about posts like the Titec Scoper, not a Crank Bros Joplin or Gravity Dropper styled post... I think he means a post designed for a bike with a really short seat tube, or a seat tube that is interrupted with a pivot or other choke point that won't allow full insertion.

Kanter, that Titec Scoper is the only one I know of. It seems a lot of frame mfrs are trying to get away from that problem that makes a Scoper the right call, which suggests there isn't much of a market for competition for the Scoper.
Thanks. I edited my post above. Im looking for something more like the Titec. I really dont want anything like the Dravity Dropper, Crank Bros, Rase, etc.

So Titec is the only option?

Price POint'a brand Sette makes one. Real cheap too!
I cant find it...

Last edited:

NoUseForAName

Monkey
Mar 26, 2008
There was a rumour a couple of years ago about Thomson making one...
Probably died unborn with the arrival of Gravity dropper style posts.

davet

Monkey
Jun 24, 2004
A few more options are Axiom, Praxxys and SDG actually made a few I-Beam OEM posts for Norco bikes in the past but don't offer anything aftermarket.

Nothing is really going to be light, after all you have essentially 2 posts and additional clamp. Most are in the 300-400g range.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
I might just look into the Gravity Dropper Decender. They are made about 20-30 miles away. I gotta ride the new 951 UPHILL once in awhile. :)

spocomptonrider

sportin' the CROCS
Nov 30, 2007
spokanistan
Just curious, but why didn't you buy something more pedal friendly considering you are constantly looking for ways to make your bike go uphills?

gonefirefightin

free wieners
I have to tell ya, wasnt a fan of the gravity dropper until I rode a buddys, since them I have one on every bike I own. simple housing and shifter cable, self repairs, solid machining and the last and last.

they are a smidge heavy but I gain more performance and overall speed with less discomfort and strain.

I checked all the tele posts before I bought anything and the gravity dropper has by far been the best choice.

note: be sure and get the largest throw you can get.

spocomptonrider

sportin' the CROCS
Nov 30, 2007
spokanistan
The only thing that turns me off to the Gravity Dropper is the ridiculous 1mm bolt to remove/ adjust the cable (I don't know if they still run that) but damn those things are as rare as rocking horse poop, lose the one it comes with and good luck finding a replacement... I'm sure you could find one on the internet but I have never seen one in the hardware store.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
There was a rumour a couple of years ago about Thomson making one...
Probably died unborn with the arrival of Gravity dropper style posts.
can't remember everything I was told recently from the horses mouth, but I don't think that was mentioned. They are going to actually introduce a few things, one of which is in true Thomson fashion. As in, "Oh, yeah. That's much simpler."

Edit: ever mind...it's out. Eurobike:

Last edited:

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Just curious, but why didn't you buy something more pedal friendly considering you are constantly looking for ways to make your bike go uphills?
Because I like to go DH and we need a long seatpost and granny to get to the top around here. I see you are in Spokane. Come on over to Kalispell and Ill show you some rides.

I just took a XC guy from Oregon on a XC ride. I met him on MTBR. When we were done with the 15 mile loop with 4000 vert of up and 4000 vert of DH, he looks at me and says, "I can see why you ride a big bike. The DH would have been a lot more fun." He was beat from the DH. I did it all on my 36.9 lb Socom.

Some of you will laugh, but my 951 is going to have a HammerSchmidt, Gravity Dropper, and a 66 ETA. I like having one bike for everything with an emphasis on DH.

Im going to talk with the Gravity Dropper guy tomorrow. He lives right by me. I dont think I want the one with the remote adjustment. I think Ill just get the one with the knob. Its lighter and cheaper. Im trying to keep this bike around 36-37 lbs.

spocomptonrider

sportin' the CROCS
Nov 30, 2007
spokanistan
Because I like to go DH and we need a long seatpost and granny to get to the top around here. I see you are in Spokane. Come on over to Kalispell and Ill show you some rides.

I just took a XC guy from Oregon on a XC ride. I met him on MTBR. When we were done with the 15 mile loop with 4000 vert of up and 4000 vert of DH, he looks at me and says, "I can see why you ride a big bike. The DH would have been a lot more fun." He was beat from the DH. I did it all on my 36.9 lb Socom.

Some of you will laugh, but my 951 is going to have a HammerSchmidt, Gravity Dropper, and a 66 ETA. I like having one bike for everything with an emphasis on DH.

Im going to talk with the Gravity Dropper guy tomorrow. He lives right by me. I dont think I want the one with the remote adjustment. I think Ill just get the one with the knob. Its lighter and cheaper. Im trying to keep this bike around 36-37 lbs.
Wasn't trying to come off dickish, I was just curious. 4000 feet of climbing on a DH bike is commitment, nothing but respect brother. BTW wasn't there going to be a race at Bitterroot mountain next weekend? I thought I remembered hearing something about it earlier in the season.

When does the season end over there? I would love to make a trip before the snow flies in the high country. I've heard nothing but great things about the trails over in that neck of the woods.

Come to SilverRoxx dude, good times will be had even if the race is a bit of a joke.

Last edited:

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Wasn't trying to come off dickish, I was just curious. 4000 feet of climbing on a DH bike is commitment, nothing but respect brother. BTW wasn't there going to be a race at Bitterroot mountain next weekend? I thought I remembered hearing something about it earlier in the season.

When does the season end over there? I would love to make a trip before the snow flies in the high country. I've heard nothing but great things about the trails over in that neck of the woods.

Come to SilverRoxx dude, good times will be had even if the race is a bit of a joke.
I was just explaining. Sorry if I came off dickish. :) The season is closing to a close soon. We are doing a HUGE ride today. Its my B-Day!! The ride will be about 15 miles with about 3000 vert of pushing and climbing and about 6500 vert of DH. Its an awesome loop. Ill post some pics tonight. The DH is the most techy in the valley. There are even a few drops on the actual hiking trail.

The Bitteroot Race is soon. Might check their website.

MinorThreat

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
Nine Mile Falls, WA
Button version should work just fine/better for your purposes. If you can't swing something with the GD guy, do look at KindShock (KS) as mentioned above. They make a lever-trip version. I have the PricePoint house-brand cheapie (that I just know was made on contract with KS) that has absolutely amazed me in that it actually works and has revolutionized my trailriding. Best $30 I ever spent. Got it on my 7&6½ trail bike.