Quantcast

Tell JCOS we need DH trails in person May 17th

mtbdirteater

Chimp
Oct 19, 2003
over the rear tire
It's on the Trails Use Task Force meeting agenda again

http://www.co.jefferson.co.us/jeffco/openspace_uploads/mayagend_tutf.pdf

for this Thursday, May 17th's meeting. Show up and let the Jefferson County Open Space director and staff know how you feel about having a DH run or runs somewhere in Jefferson County. I've done two Open Space Advisory Committee presentations in the last two years and had several staff meetings on this topic, open for discussion again Thursday night. The director told me that he "owes it to us to let us know where they stand" on this issue, come tell him what you think too. I have been presenting this as a conflict solution in Open Space parks for a long time, we need a DH run to shuttle to address the growing Downhill portion of our user group and the way we all use the parks together. See the example maps below. DH isn't going away any more than baseball or football, and it's time we put this issue on the table one more time. That time is Thursday night in the Open Space building in Golden, 7:00pm in the OSAC hearing room.

The idea is to adapt to the current uses in Open Space parks that involve us all, in ways that does not discriminate against any user group and their ability to continue to use these public parks. We have hiking trails, did they solve some of our problems? Do we have any bike trails in Open Space to address these same types of concerns about "park user experience", user conflict potential, speed differential and traffic patterns? No. Do we need them? Many of us think so, and if you do too, let them know.

See the below example of a new multi-use park (equal mileage too, but not necessary for the solution), with a DH down trail, bike up only, and hiker use. Got any more ideas? Bring them with you Thursday night and let everyone know. Do we want to let them ban bikes from any existing park or change traffic patterns in sacred places like Apex? No. Do we want to let them implement more alternating day schedules like Centennial Cone? What do you think? Do we want to let them suggest bike bans like Reynolds and the original staff proposal for alternating bike restrictions for NTM (that we since reversed through the NTM Ad-Hoc committee's hard work)? Absolutely not. Is riding your bikes down hill, whatever type of bike you chose to ride, and whatever you chose to call it, not a valid use for Open Space parks? Suddenly, even though it has evolved into "DH" over the years? We need to address this problem and work out a solution with staff once and for all.

Do you have something to say to them as they are approaching a decision on our activities? Have some great suggestions or solutions of your own to present? Then I hope you attend and let them know Thursday night. If you want to speak, arrive before 7:00pm and sign up on the sheet to do so, then you can tell them and ask any questions you have. Check out the agenda linked above, here's your chance. Let's hope it's not our last chance, make this one count. I've been busting my butt on this for years, and I know many of you have been too. Judgment time, let's make it count.

See you at the TUTF meeting Thursday night.

Cheers,

Dave Cohen
Trails Use Task Force Biker Representative

mtbdirteater

Chimp
Oct 19, 2003
over the rear tire
Yeah, it's not as long of a run as Apex, but check out the location. Access to the top? Not impossible on this particular parcel, but requires some land access work on the part of Open Space. Will this plan work elsewhere? Certainly. Just an example here, but one that's already County owned Open Space land that has no current plans and it's not developed yet.

For reference in this example, the current shuttle route is in green, new proposal in red. The two red "roads" up on the left are two alternate examples, or can go up steeper entirely on County property. Now would this mean we would say "no bikes" on Apex? Heck no! We suggest you continue to ride and enjoy Apex with the other trail users in a multi-use park, but those that SHUTTLE, shuttle the DH bikes down somewhere more appropriate. Close by. With a shorter and more neighborhood, traffic and user friendly route. Get the concept now?

Will ideas like this help us preserve trail access for future riding and solve some evolving problems for everyone involved? I hope so, but you should come say so if you think so too, or present your ideas. We've reached a point where a solution is required, and I'm not in favor of any "solution" that bans us from riding in the parks.

Better ideas? Let us know.

And let them know what matters Thursday night.

Dave

Attachments