Quantcast

tell me about air dams

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
yes, it's gg again, car questions...

The mazda I'm getting has an air dam on the front. Does this serve any actual purpose besides looking sporty? I'm thinking it's something that will just get smacked into things...

edumacate me please.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Probably just for looks but if properly engineered it could
-reduce aerodynamic lift at hight speed, not really any benefit for a safely driven car.
-reduce drag cause by turbulence underneath the car giving very marginal mileage gains

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
yes, it's gg again, car questions...

The mazda I'm getting has an air dam on the front. Does this serve any actual purpose besides looking sporty? I'm thinking it's something that will just get smacked into things...

edumacate me please.
let me search some pics and get back to you...on some cars they're functional but not on most...D

SPINTECK

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2005
abc
I always thought air dams prevented the front end from floating at highway speeds. If it was my car, I'd leave it on- just watch out for driveways and speed bumps.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
If your talking about the Air damn that is on the bottom of the car, that needs to stay on, that directs air up into the radiator while at highway speeds, without it you will overheat the engine, and shorten the life of your new car.

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
If your talking about the Air damn that is on the bottom of the car, that needs to stay on, that directs air up into the radiator while at highway speeds, without it you will overheat the engine, and shorten the life of your new car.

you sure about that? Then how come it's not on all models, and is part of a set of options that includes a compass in the mirror?

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Do you have a picture by chance, and if its the one I am thinking of YES. I am not for sure exactly what you mean, but if it is somehting that doesnt come on all models, your probably talking about the ground effects, thats different than an Air damn. Those are mostly for looks. I am an Auto Technition, so if you have a pic it will help alot.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
you sure about that? Then how come it's not on all models, and is part of a set of options that includes a compass in the mirror?
it's cosmetic. if you don't like how the car looks with it then have the dealer pull it off and sell it on craigslist to some other unwitting mazda3 owner. if you don't mind it, keep it, it's what you're paying for with the GT package.

Zutroy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
Ventura,CA
If your getting a Mazda 3 it's a cosmetic fascia. It's pretty pricey from what i remember, I'd try to have them pull it off and give ya the money back if possible

trailhacker

Turbo Monkey
Jan 6, 2003
In the hills around Seattle
Keep in mind that the car was probably painted with the "spoiler" installed. When you remove it, you will probably need to have them shoot that area again.

I wouldn't take it off. If its an OEM part than it probably "flows" into the coresponding pieces over the front wheels. Which "flow" into the pieces below the doors. Which flow into the pieces above the rear wheels. Which "flow" into... get it?

Seriously, the only time it will be a problem is when pulling up to curbs. After the first time you hear that sound of the plastic scraping over the top of the curb you start to pay attention.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
If you take it off you could affect the resale value. If its one of the visible pieces of the GT package you might have a problem convincing the next owner that it does in fact have the GT package if the air dam is missing. Or they are going to wonder what sort of front end crash happened that made it go bye bye.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
I think DRB got it. Its bad to remove OEM factory trim items - it will hurt your resale and might cause other headaches in the future...

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Leave it on. It doesn't hang down that much and there is enough fender gap between the wheels and the fender you could smuggle a mexican in to the US in the fender well. It's not like the car sits really low to the ground.

Zutroy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
Ventura,CA
The air damn it not a stock GT part and it's an option on the GTs, so not all of them have it. I want to say it's like a 500 option.

Alot of those air damns and factory large wings are actually put on by the dealership. Some of them cause issues for transportation on the haulers

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
The air damn it not a stock GT part and it's an option on the GTs, so not all of them have it. I want to say it's like a 500 option.

Alot of those air damns and factory large wings are actually put on by the dealership. Some of them cause issues for transportation on the haulers
that is correct.

They've offered to uninstall it, I think I'll just take a look once the car gets here. There were only 4 5speed GTs without navigation in the region, and the two silver ones were gone in the matter of hours. So red or black were my choices.

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
that is correct.

They've offered to uninstall it, I think I'll just take a look once the car gets here. There were only 4 5speed GTs without navigation in the region, and the two silver ones were gone in the matter of hours. So red or black were my choices.

well if they will give you credit for it then I say do away with it since it doesn't seem to be functional...otherwise keep it and sell it to some yahoo who has banged up their front end...actually you would probably get more money for it selling it after market than getting credit from the dealer...D