Quantcast

Tell me about Bootleg Canyon

Edgy

Monkey
May 1, 2003
O.C
Gonna check out Bootleg Cyn this weekend. What trails should we/should we not hit(I'm no Kyle Strait and won't be doing massive drops/hucks). I did check out their site and saw some good info/pics but personal experience would probably give me more realistic expectations. Any info is appreciated.
Thanks

R

Rabie

Edgy said:
Gonna check out Bootleg Cyn this weekend. What trails should we/should we not hit(I'm no Kyle Strait and won't be doing massive drops/hucks). I did check out their site and saw some good info/pics but personal experience would probably give me more realistic expectations. Any info is appreciated.
Thanks
Who's "we"? "We" are a bunch of bitches.

Edgy

Monkey
May 1, 2003
O.C
Rabie said:
Who's "we"? "We" are a bunch of bitches.
Yeah..they are a couple of bitches...but you could be my bitch too.. if you'd get off your fat A$$ and come with us. They have jumps there..... and I promise you won't come up short...really! :evil:

Besides,those kids don't want to really know their grades anyway..if you teach like you ride..then all that $hit went right over their heads.

R

Rabie

Edgy said:
Yeah..they are a couple of bitches...but you could be my bitch too.. if you'd get off your fat A$$ and come with us. They have jumps there..... and I promise you won't come up short...really! :evil:

Besides,those kids don't want to really know their grades anyway..if you teach like you ride..then all that $hit went right over their heads.
As much as I'd love to be your bitch, I really have to stay local this weekend. Bootleg Canyon is gay.

Edgy

Monkey
May 1, 2003
O.C
Well...let me tell you about Bootleg Canyon...This place rocks!!!!! Got there bout 9AM Sat, talked to the guys at All Mountain Cyclery they gave us the low down and we headed over to the main park area to catch the shuttle up. Shuttle is cool, a little pricey( shuttle yourselves...its quicker and you get twice a s many runs in.) Perhaps it was due to the recent rains but the trail conds. were excellent. This is desert terrain with alot sharp rocks but it was grippy as hell.(this place eats tires)

This place is suited for all levels- techy single track, some slow, some real fast, small, med to John Cowan size MX and diry style jumps- all built really well. We hooked up a couple of local guys Dave and Travis Black who showed us the way. Theres about 9-10 main DH trails, some offshoot from others. We mainly rode Snakeback/Sidewinder to Diva or Reaper and these can best be descibed as: starts off as rocky technical off camber(deceiving cuz its alot grippier than it looks), then turns into fast single track ala lower SJT with jumps, G-outs w/step ups and drops. These were probably the easist of the trails but the locals also said they were the fastest/funnest. From top to bottom on these trials they said fastest times are like 5 mins and after about 5-6 runs you're pretty worked. We played around on several jumps(many to choose from-all sizes) and had the most fun on a 15ft gap whcih we got some pics of -hopefully I'll be able to post them later.

All in all I highly recommend Bootleg. Bring 2 cars and shuttle yourselves, camp or stay in a motel/ hotel. The locals were telling us that the City is looking to close down the operation at Bootleg-cuz its not generating a lot of $. I haven't had this much fun since Whistler so get out there, email the city and tell em you had a great time, etc and show support for this park...these guys are doing it right with new trails, maintenance, etc.

BTW, if you're into XC.....they have plenty and they looked pretty dang fun too!
Thanks to Hanz & Dave @ Bootleg and local maniac/ripper Travis Black. :thumb:

sonic rbz

Chimp
Aug 24, 2004
FL
Did you camp or stay in a motel. I am wondering about camping when I go. How much was the pricey shuttle?

Edgy

Monkey
May 1, 2003
O.C
sonic rbz said:
Did you camp or stay in a motel. I am wondering about camping when I go. How much was the pricey shuttle?
We stayed in a motel bout $80/nite...you can probably find some for less...we weren't in the mood to drive /shop for the best price.
The signs said you should have a permit to camp but the local guys said don't worry just drive up into Bootleg Canyon and camp in one of the canyons.

Shuttle price on the weekend was $20/all day(from bout 9-10 til dark) or $10 /half day and $5/per. IMO, the shuttle takes too long. Since there are several end or pick up spots you have wait till the guy makes all the stops, loads the bikes, etc. If you have a large group the guy said he can work a deal (?).
We're planning on going back March 11-12, if your going out PM me and perhaps we can hook up and work out a shuttle.

R

Rabie

Edgy said:
We're planning on going back March 11-12, if your going out PM me and perhaps we can hook up and work out a shuttle.
Dude, screw you guys. I'm off for the last week of March. Wait until then. Why do you think you can just plan things without checking with my schedule first?

Edgy

Monkey
May 1, 2003
O.C
Rabie said:
Dude, screw you guys. I'm off for the last week of March. Wait until then. Why do you think you can just plan things without checking with my schedule first?
Rabie.....don't worry, I liked this place so much(and so will you) I'm going back as many times as possible. I don't care who goes as long as I go and we can work out a shuttle. Check with you fiirst??? You hav'nt ridden in so long, they've dropped you from the Insane Freeride Posse.
Last week in March..I'm in.
Word of caution; You might want to check that "racer-boy" attitude...if you go down at Bootleg...there will be BLOODSHED :nope:

R

Rabie

Edgy said:
Rabie.....don't worry, I liked this place so much(and so will you) I'm going back as many times as possible. I don't care who goes as long as I go and we can work out a shuttle. Check with you fiirst??? You hav'nt ridden in so long, they've dropped you from the Insane Freeride Posse.
Last week in March..I'm in.
Word of caution; You might want to check that "racer-boy" attitude...if you go down at Bootleg...there will be BLOODSHED :nope:
Actually, it looks like I have a 3-day weekend from the 11th-13th, so I'm in for that. And in the event of bloodshed, I'll just consult Pegboy about suing the place and shutting it down.

Edgy

Monkey
May 1, 2003
O.C
lovebunny said:
edgy did you go w/ sean? he rides a grey vp free?
No, I did not... but I did go with my buddy Mark who also rides a Vp-Free. Funny, Mark is just now getting into DH/Freeride and had just recently finished building up his rig. This was his first time on a true DH trail.... we even got him doing the 15ft gap jump! Freakin hilarious!