Quantcast

Tell me about fruita

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
I did it from the turn in the gravel road up the hill and down all the steep switch backs to the cow gate i believe that was east to west (judging by our view of I-70). I was kidding didnt come close to cleaning some of those uphills on a 35 lb freeride bike with a 7" fork...But on the way down i think i almost cleaned it...We pedaled our FR bikes all over the MTNS this past week, my legs were loving me.
Do it the other way next time. The DH is longer and "Moore Fun" in that direction.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Mack Ridge? Troy Built?

Did you guys get over to the Junction trails? Eagle's Wing, Holy Cross, The Ribbon?

Looking forward to the photos, man! :thumb:
We did not get to the junction trails we had plans to but when we realized this massive jeep crap was going on in moab we had to split out of fruita so we could ride moab as much as we wanted before it turned into a circus...We will definately log some long miles this fall or next spring in that area...I hear the lunch loop is pretty cool as well...

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
We did not get to the junction trails we had plans to but when we realized this massive jeep crap was going on in moab we had to split out of fruita so we could ride moab as much as we wanted before it turned into a circus...We will definately log some long miles this fall or next spring in that area...I hear the lunch loop is pretty cool as well...
Yeah - Eagle's, Holy Cross, Gunny Loop are all in that Lunch Loop area. Even the Widowmaker is fun little DH...

Glad to hear you beat the jeep f***fest in Moab. :thumb:

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
Too bad you didn't have time to do all the trails, but I'm positive you will go back!

We are heading out there on the 21st, can't wait!

We got 17 rides planned in 21 days... :dead:

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
just came back yesterday from a Fruita/Moab trip. Stayed in Fruita, but rode Porcupine and Amasa Back the first two days. Third day was Mary's Loop and Horsethief.

The DH on Horsetheif is most definitely doable...I had no armor with me though and was only wearing a skate helmet, so I rode half then walked. But I found the line to the right and really, really wanted to ride it. The singletrack was awesome!

Moab was killer. Shuttled Porcupine to the trailhead, then rode the trail down to where you meet the road, then rode to the parking lot that is just off the main drag through Moab (forget the name). Amasa, all the way to the lookout, then back down.

I was pretty dead though - I pedaled my 46lb RMX, which was a wee bit too much bike for those climbs! Awesome, awesome, awesome time though.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
just came back yesterday from a Fruita/Moab trip. Stayed in Fruita, but rode Porcupine and Amasa Back the first two days. Third day was Mary's Loop and Horsethief.

The DH on Horsetheif is most definitely doable...I had no armor with me though and was only wearing a skate helmet, so I rode half then walked. But I found the line to the right and really, really wanted to ride it. The singletrack was awesome!

Moab was killer. Shuttled Porcupine to the trailhead, then rode the trail down to where you meet the road, then rode to the parking lot that is just off the main drag through Moab (forget the name). Amasa, all the way to the lookout, then back down.

I was pretty dead though - I pedaled my 46lb RMX, which was a wee bit too much bike for those climbs! Awesome, awesome, awesome time though.
Dude really did you see us rolling around at all we were all over both of those areas/trails. I was on a green bottlerocket with a silver helmet and with a couple guys 1 was on a baby blue kona cowan and the other on a burnt orange specialized enduro...

When you do Amasa you have to take the left on the way down and run 'Jacksons' back down to the colorado, pretty hairy exposed trail that ROCKS. We rode amasa twice, once to hit the look out all the way down to the trail head the other to hit jacksons....:monkeydance:

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
Oh come on now. No excuses about body armor and such. :disgust1:

Mmm, Fruita, it looks like I might be there in June/July. Skared****less, you up for getting your ass kicked again? I could use an ego boost.

The Ito

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
When you do Amasa you have to take the left on the way down and run 'Jacksons' back down to the colorado, pretty hairy exposed trail that ROCKS. We rode amasa twice, once to hit the look out all the way down to the trail head the other to hit jacksons....:monkeydance:
Just for my own curiosity...how do you get to these trails? I was only in town for a day so I stuck to this area:

I imagine you need to go for a bit more of a drive to get to the trails you are talking about?

The Ito

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Just for my own curiosity...how do you get to these trails? I was only in town for a day so I stuck to this area:

I imagine you need to go for a bit more of a drive to get to the trails you are talking about?

The Ito
Amassa Back is actually in Moab off of Kane Creek Road...Sorry for the confusion.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
Oh come on now. No excuses about body armor and such. :disgust1:

Mmm, Fruita, it looks like I might be there in June/July. Skared****less, you up for getting your ass kicked again? I could use an ego boost.

The Ito
Jeezus, dude. June or July in Fruita? Ride early. Ride late. Drink margaritas between the hours of 10-6. :D

Let me know when you're around... I can't commit to anything since I've got trips to the Tetons, Oregon Coast, and the Midwest salted somewhere in there, but it'd be cool to have a beer and get my ass handed to me. :thumb:

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
It'd be fine! The fireroad climb is only something like 18 miles. :dead:
Oh noway...I could probably pedal the bottlerocket on that, i ran a larson in the back the damn thing was a rocket out there i couldnt believe how smooth it felt on the long climbs pretty cool. Im going to do that ride next year or in the fall...Is the rest of the loop fun? We took a look at the book cliffs and realized that was a LONG way around. That loop has the rope on it right?

yeah fruita in june or july would be pretty bad, it was hot last week. I got some sun burn...

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
Come on, Rockstar. Do it, take some video, and show us how it's DONE! :D
You can be sure that will be done. I so, so wanted to give it a shot, but I also did not want to go to the hospital again so soon (two weeks before the trip I had my appendix out).

manhattanprjkt83: don't remember seeing you guys at all. I was in a group of about 6 people, I was on a tan RMX with a 888 and a red Bell skate helmet (I stuck out amongst the XC'ers).

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
But everyone is right...its a very burly section.
We ran out of time, there is SO MUCH MORE we wanted to ride. But there's always next time.

rky mtn srfr

Monkey
Nov 26, 2006
Boulder
Fruitcake was certainly nice, rolled into camp thursday afternoon and rode Primecut and the Camp Loop before dark. Then did Primecut, Joes Ridge, and Zippity Friday morning. The trail crew was out and the first big drop on Zippity was rerouted. Fortunately the reroute is pretty good, but I just wish they would have left that drop open, it was fun!!!

Was outta there by noon and rolling to the Uncompaghre for more fun :pirate2: