Quantcast

tell me about Hugi FR rear hubs

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
I checked them out online after having a discussion with one of my buds.

Their "star rachet" system looks like it would be super strong and the engagement wouldn't be too bad either. Does anyone here have any real world feedback to share?

DßR

They saw my bloomers
Feb 17, 2004
the DC
actually when the FR's are lubed up they're nice and stealth, if they get dry, then like other Hugi's they sound like a little motorcycle....

The engagement is slow - only 18 clicks, but it's very solid. It's more like a King than like a Shimano/Hadley/Hope/Ringle/everybody else style engagement....I love it. No pawls to strip out, and if you do wreck it, a chimp could rebuild the freehub, it's insanely simple.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
Originally posted by DßR
The engagement is slow - only 18 clicks, but it's very solid. It's more like a King than like a Shimano/Hadley/Hope/Ringle/everybody else style engagement....I love it. No pawls to strip out, and if you do wreck it, a chimp could rebuild the freehub, it's insanely simple.
Strength was the primary thing. I have used Ringle hubs in the past and recently built up King hubs. (I love the King rear (duh?) and will buy another for the hardtail once I have a few more $$$.)

I have rebuilt my Ringle hub more times than I can remember, the pawls they use (and they supplied to me for repairs) last me maybe 4 months before they wear enough to slip. Setting up for a wheelie-drop is no time to have a forward-freewheeling drivetrain. :mad:

The Hugi FR system is interesting to me, and seems like it would be SUPER strong.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
Originally posted by Fulton
that makes them faster though, right?
LOL.

My new King is almost silent compred to some friend's CK hubs. After I built it up I expected "that" sound ... I think I got jipped!

Curb Hucker

I am an idiot
Feb 4, 2004
Sleeping in my Kenworth
So Nick, you thinking of getting DTs?

Ive ridden Matt's (or 2x4 or the CFR guy who had the RFX whatever you call him) DT Hugis. They are very nice hubs, the engagement is very good, not as good as our kings, but better than most. Build quality is on par with King, and Matt has nothing but praise to give the hubs. He told me to get some when i was at his place the other day. They are definatly more beefy than the Kings, and if youve ridden with him you know how he abuses stuff and his DTs are still going strong.

Don

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
Originally posted by DHS
Hadley.
tell me why?

before I bought the CK hubs I wanted to look at Hadley based solely on their reputation for quality and I was really interested in the "trials" hub I heard about with 108 points of engagement. Its next to impossible to get information on their products. Turns out that "trials" hub spec was a little misleading.

I originally chose the Ringle over King because I wanted tight engagement, quality, and reasonable price. The money saved doesn't come close to compensate for the times I've walked out from a ride, or had the hub fail at Keystone and have to rebuild it in the dusty-ass parking lot, or that time I sat in the freezing cold in January while a friend rode an hour back to get a car and come get me, or ...