Quantcast

Tell me about riding Tahoe

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
My brother lives in Gardenerville, NV. about 30 mins. from Tahoe and I'm thinking about spending a week out there with him next Spring/Summer. Is there enough riding to keep me busy for a week? I imagine at those elevations the snow sticks around for quite a while huh? When does N* open? Most likely I'll spend a day or two riding DH while out there as well. I'll probably fly out with my trailbike and then rent a DH. Decent DH rentals around the Tahoe area? Just trying to get an idea of what to expect...

Thanks in advance!

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
With the exception of this year N* usally opens about mid June. There is TON'S of riding in the Tahoe area. If you're staying in Gardenerville, Mr. Toads is a MUST ride!!!!!

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
yup, you'll have no problem keeping yourself busy for a week. I've lived at the lake for over 2 years now and I'm still riding new trails, almost on a weekly basis. I'll show you some things if/when you get here (unless you're a yankees fan). N* is good for DH, there's a few other DH type trails in the area (probably a bunch more that I don't know of) but i think your best bet is to ride DH at N* and then take some days to check out XC stuff.

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
Yeah, I figured there'd be plenty to keep me busy. Looking forward to the trip. Maybe I can coordinate a guided tour with someone as it gets closer? Thanks for the replies!

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
McGRP01 said:
Yeah, I figured there'd be plenty to keep me busy. Looking forward to the trip. Maybe I can coordinate a guided tour with someone as it gets closer? Thanks for the replies!
If you have a front derailleur, the world is yours. I'm with dfinn. I've been here 5 years and still haven't ridden it all. If you get bored in a week, you're broken and should be fixed.

amydalayna

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
south lake tahoe, ca
Dirtface said:
I am looking to ride Tahoe and Downieville late May early June. Do I ride north or south shore. I am a cross-country geek.
i live on the south shore and loooooooove the riding here.
for easy xc there are the powerlines and corral loop.
if you are looking for some more fun and technical stuff.... mr toad and christmas downhill are my favorite. hawley grade is fun, but short and you need to shuttle.
and chinese downhill is fun in the spring/early summer before all the dust kicks in.

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
Dirtface said:
I am looking to ride Tahoe and Downieville late May early June. Do I ride north or south shore. I am a cross-country geek.

hit me up BEFORE you get here this time so we can ride....

amydalayna

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
south lake tahoe, ca
kidwoo said:
climb old meyers grade to behind the sub station.

Join me in keeping the DH bikes off this one. :) It's too good to meet the fate that many trails on this end of the lake are suffering.
Considering I ride by DH bike on all trails (xc included)... I'm not sure how to respond to that.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
amydalayna said:
Considering I ride by DH bike on all trails (xc included)... I'm not sure how to respond to that.
I guess climbing up old meyers grade would suck then. ;)

I just discovered hawley grade recently and was struck with how good a shape it is in considering it's right by a major road. Pretty much every xc trail on the northshore that is shuttle capable is getting beat to sh!t by guys on DH bikes doing multiple runs and not really knowing how to brake or turn. There are a few guys who have built some really good DH specific trails down there that I'd be scared to ride on anything but my DH bike, I think we need more of the same.

I'm just a whiner when it comes to stuff like that, nothing more. You can respond just by ignoring me. It works for so many already. If a dh bike is all you've got, then hey, you gotta rung what you brung.
So you push/climb your big bike up to christmas valley? That's earning your turns. :p

Did you ever make it to northstar after the rain a few weeks ago? ......sooooo good.

amydalayna

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
south lake tahoe, ca
kidwoo said:
I guess climbing up old meyers grade would suck then. ;)
does suck for a climb. that and chinese downhill are the only rides i do as a true shuttle.

kidwoo said:
I just discovered hawley grade recently and was struck with how good a shape it is in considering it's right by a major road.
true. it is in great shape. i actually don't get to do that ride as much as i would like.

kidwoo said:
So you push/climb your big bike up to christmas valley? That's earning your turns. :p
i ride my bike (a bullit) all the way up christmas downhill. the only part i have to walk is that first rocky part at the trial head. that's a beast.

kidwoo said:
Did you ever make it to northstar after the rain a few weeks ago? ......sooooo good.
yeah. the weekend before last. good times. i will also be there this saturday.....

D

dukesoftahoe

if you're going to be in gardnerville dont bother coming up to the lake. go out to the pine nuts theres enough of every type of riding out there. xc all day trips to the best freeride trails around.

amydalayna

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
south lake tahoe, ca
dukesoftahoe said:
if you're going to be in gardnerville dont bother coming up to the lake. go out to the pine nuts theres enough of every type of riding out there. xc all day trips to the best freeride trails around.
hmmmm. maybe i'm missing something. i like pine nuts... but only in the winter/spring when everything up at the lake is snowed in. Other than that I find it a bit too dusty.

D

dukesoftahoe

as for the freeride trails in the pine nuts the best clue i can give you is take the dirt road at the fork. theres about 3 or 4 trails going now with nasty rock gardens, off camber drops, step ups, and a bad ass double road gap. i'll be back in the states before it snows and if anyone wants to take a trip out there pm in a month or so.

crapacity

Chimp
Jul 20, 2005
I want to ride pine nuts, it sounds cool. I am new to the area, so I am still finding my way around

amydalayna

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
south lake tahoe, ca
When it snows up here if someone would show me some of the more fun trails down in pine nuts, I would be much obliged. I have been hearing about them, but have no idea where they are. Every time I go exploring I end up just finding a xc loop.