Quantcast

Tell me about the Peace Corps...

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
So I'll be graduating next spring and I'm not sure I want to start a real job just yet. Besides the housing market sucks and that's the field I'm eventually going into so I'm in no hurry.

I've been thinking about giving back, I'm not sure in what way but right now the Peace Corps sounds like a good route. I was just wondering if any Monkies have had any experience with Peace Corps or anything similar?

DirtyDog

Gang probed by the Golden Banana
Aug 2, 2005
I haven't been in the Peace Corps, but I have done other things I would consider "immersion experiences" (being taken out of your normal environment for long period of times). Those experiences are by far the best of my life. Do it.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Wouldn't you rather play with guns and kill people?

FYI: I heard that before you join, they force you to take an oath where you renounce all meats (bacon included), promise to listen to Rusted Root constantly, and swear not to taunt those less fortunate the entire time.
WTF?

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I am unfortunately to old to kill people. However if i had it to all over again i would have gone the play with guns and kill people route. I would secretly eat meat just to have had the chance to wantonly kill. Oh well I bet we all have regrets...

splat

Nam I am
FYI: I heard that before you join, they force you to take an oath where you renounce all meats (bacon included), promise to listen to Rusted Root constantly, and swear not to taunt those less fortunate the entire time.
WTF?
Scary part is I have herd that as well well not the bit about rusted root , the the meat and taunting part. and they didn't calling it taunting , it is swearing to smypathise with no discretion to those less fortunate.

Durt

Chimp
Nov 28, 2007
You want to give back to those less fortunate? There are plenty in your own backyard. Big Brothers Big Sisters. Volunteer at a homeless shelter, a battered womens shelter, the VA hospital. Hell even the ASPCA needs volunteers. There's plenty of opportunity to help people out and plenty that need help.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
You want to give back to those less fortunate? There are plenty in your own backyard. Big Brothers Big Sisters. Volunteer at a homeless shelter, a battered womens shelter, the VA hospital. Hell even the ASPCA needs volunteers. There's plenty of opportunity to help people out and plenty that need help.
Plenty of chicks on the rebound at the women's shelter too. Easy prey.

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
My hubby's aunt and uncle, retired teachers, did a stint with the PC. They had a pretty hard time in some remote jungles of South America. They got tranferred to the carribean island of Antigua for a few years after that and had a great time.

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
My hubby's aunt and uncle, retired teachers, did a stint with the PC. They had a pretty hard time in some remote jungles of South America. They got tranferred to the carribean island of Antigua for a few years after that and had a great time.
Thats more of what I'm looking for. I know there are plenty of ways to help out in "my backyard" but I'm looking to do something that completely immerses me in a foreign environment and takes me out of my comfort zone.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
If I could do a stint on the beach in Jamaica, I'd sign up.

I did get to work on a ship that went to various locations in the Pacific. I didn't have to kill anyone, but I did get to chase a lot of skirts in some cool countries.

Mom: Did you have fun in Singapore?
Me: Hell yeah I did!
Mom: Did you go to that one cool museum?
Me: No, but I passed it on the way to the awesome titty bar...

If I could do it all again, I would do it all again.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Thats more of what I'm looking for. I know there are plenty of ways to help out in "my backyard" but I'm looking to do something that completely immerses me in a foreign environment and takes me out of my comfort zone.
How about Iraq?

kramerski

Chimp
Aug 23, 2002
Richmond, VA
AmeriCorps: Sort of like the peace corps just you still in the USA

According to their FAQ:

Is AmeriCorps like Peace Corps?
Yes. AmeriCorps is often referred to as "the domestic Peace Corps." Both agencies are committed to service, and both offer challenging and rewarding full-time opportunities. Peace Corps assignments are all overseas, and AmeriCorps members serve only in the US. While Peace Corps Volunteers serve for two years, a stint in AmeriCorps usually lasts 10 months to one year. (Some AmeriCorps projects also offer part-time opportunities, and some AmeriCorps members serve more than one term of service.)

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
<snip> I'm looking to do something that completely immerses me in a foreign environment and takes me out of my comfort zone.
Why not just save some money & then travel to some exotic locale for a few months... live with the locals, check out the scene... maybe they'll have something you can volunteer to do? Then you don't have any commitments. If you don't like it you can leave. You can get as "exotic" as you'd like.

Me? I'd pick New Zealand. :monkey:

knittingfiend

Monkey
Jun 13, 2008
A tick north of Seattle
I have known two different folks who've done the Peace Corp. One person went to Africa and had a terrifying time in a remote village (yound white female isolated in a remote village, you can do the rest)-- needless to say she came home earlier, and luckily, with only a case of malaria...

The other person I know who went came home with his soul-mate. She was also a PC volunteer, and they've been happily married for over a dozen years with three kids....

So, I guess I'm saying it could go either way.... :brow: :banghead:

There are lots of organizations out there that do similar kinds of things to the PC, perhaps w/o all the BS...? Of course, I can't think of any names right now.

Good luck with your immersion project, I think it's a great idea. :banana:

skatetokil

Turbo Monkey
Jan 2, 2005
DC/Bluemont VA
Considered it myself and here are the results of my research:

1. It's more about your own personal growth than about changing anything in the community where you are stationed.

2. You will be poor and won't have much free time.

3. ****ed up **** can happen to you out there. My friend was dating a student that he was teaching english to (probably a bad idea but whatever) and the girl got raped killed and buried out back of the town where he lived. He did not finish his tour of duty.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
Hang out with chicks who dont shave and shower? For no or little $$? And they dont issue guns?
Hmmm...

Ever seen anyone with a Peace Corps tatoo?