Quantcast

tell me about this wheelset

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
shimano xt disc hub with sun ryno lite rims and for 120$ from pricepint.

do you think its a good deal? is it a good wheel set.

NRSracer

Jamis Slayer
Sep 7, 2001
Baltimore
Originally posted by laura

it looks like a good wheelset, i don't know too much about the rims, but i think they are wider than most others.

did you get your new bike yet?

dhjill

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
SD Cali
Hi Laura!

You can't go wrong with Shimano hubs and the Sun Rhyno Lites are totally decent rims. They won't be feather light but they will sturdy as hell. Looks like a great deal to me...cost to a dealer would be about $150 so $120 for a set is killer.

Grab 'em, girl!:D

scofflaw23

Monkey
Mar 13, 2002
Raleigh
it's a good deal, but is it a good wheelset? if they're machine built rims, which they probably are, you should be skeptical. handbuilt is the way to go, imo. plus this is going to be a real heavy wheel set, those XT hubs are tank, and the Rhyno Lites aren't too light. Plus Sun rims flat spot so easily, i've found.

can you tell that i don't like these wheels very much? maybe for dirtjumping they'd be ok, because they'd probably get destroyed anyway.

what kind of riding do you do? i can try and recommend some better options then.

ben.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
The price is a good deal but remember that they are machine made wheels - you'll want the a good wheel builder go over them before you ride them.

Check out the nipples and spokes too -

I have heard a few bad things about XT disks hubs... I have the same set up on the front wheel on one bike - I think it's fine for XC.

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
yes i got my new bike, a gary fisher sugar 3+ but not with disk brakes so i am looking to upgrade.

i ride cross country and a tiny bit of urban on the same bike. i don't ride hard because i am a big chicken. no big jumps yet. no thing too crazy.

i really cant afford anything expensive right now. i am looking for a good deal.

how long do you think they would last me?

thanks for all the input guys and gals

ps. the wheels that i have on my bike came stock, bontrager selects. i really haver no clue about wheels.

mrbigisbudgood

Strangely intrigued by Echo
Oct 30, 2001
Charlotte, NC
I have beaten the snot out of XT disc hubs with zero problems.

I have beaten the snot out of Rhyno Lite XL rims with no catastrophic failures, everything i've done to them has been repairable in the truing stand.

Laura, if you buy those wheels, you'll probably never need another wheelset again.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
I have that wheelset on my "backup" bike. They work just fine. I did bend a Rhyno Lite rim once, but it's probably because I am a fat ass. I bought another to replace it. :)

LostBoyScout

Monkey
Jul 28, 2002
Vancouver BC
If you're on a budget, that's about as good as it gets for a wheelset that is going to last you a good long time.

Machine built obviously isn't as nice as handbuilt but I think people exaggerate a LOT when it comes to the quality difference. There's nothing wrong with a machine built set, just give the spoke tension a check and check for trueness every now and then, and they will both do the same job for you.

If you have more money to spare, there are better options - but for $120 nobody expects a lot.

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
"Light, strong, cheap. Pick two and it won't be the third. Those will be fine wheels. Strong and cheap. Not light by any means. Not a downhill wheel either, they're not that heavy. Nothing wrong with machine built wheels. The machines are pretty damn good these days, but you might want to check spoke tension and crank it up a bit if they aren't tight enough. Get a mechanic to do it if you're unsure.

Mar 27, 2003
I'm a big fan of hand built wheels. Machines have no way of correcting for the slight differences between rims/hubs/spokes. If you build wheels you will know what I mean.
As for the XT/Rhino wheelset. It should last you a long, long time if you are using it for XC and some small urban use. I think really it may be a bit too much wheelset for you. But it's better to be riding than repairing.
Look at universal cycles. They seem to have a good selection of handbuilt wheels at low prices.

scofflaw23

Monkey
Mar 13, 2002
Raleigh
Originally posted by jonassterling
I'm a big fan of hand built wheels. Machines have no way of correcting for the slight differences between rims/hubs/spokes. If you build wheels you will know what I mean.
As for the XT/Rhino wheelset. It should last you a long, long time if you are using it for XC and some small urban use. I think really it may be a bit too much wheelset for you. But it's better to be riding than repairing.
Look at universal cycles. They seem to have a good selection of handbuilt wheels at low prices.
i second this opinion. what's wrong with the Bonty's? the selects are a totally decent rim, probably lighter than the XT Disc/Ryhno Lite setup. I would ride the Bontragers into the ground, then invest in something nicer, like a Crossmax, Crossmax XL, CrossRoc Disc, etc.

ben.

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
Originally posted by Serial Midget
Laura - are you upgrading from Vs to disk? Is that why you are looking for a new wheel set? There are a number of Sugars around my town, none with disks.

yes it is, o therwise i would be perfectly happy with my wheels now.

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
those are nice wheels for the $$. i like both machine and hand built wheels. you can get bad results from the two as w/ anything. of course a machine can fu/ck up and spit out a bad set or not properly tension the wheels but so can a nonexperience wheel builder. i'd say when/if you get the wheels to just take them to a local store and have them retension them right away. but what i'm basically saying is don't be afraid of prebuilt wheels from companies like mavic or spinergy or cane creek b/c they are all great wheels.....

Ifelloffabike

Monkey
Apr 14, 2003
Strong Island Ny
Originally posted by scofflaw23
Plus Sun rims flat spot so easily, i've found.

making sweeping generalizations about so many different products is pretty unfair

The only sun rims that i have known to have a penchant for flatspotting are the singletrack/doublewides and thats just because they are very low profile disc only rims. On the other hand are avergly tall box rims that wont flatspot more then any other similar rim.

Ive been running a set of hubs laced to rhyno lite XL's for the last year on my urban/dirtjumping bike and have been throwing it around pretty agressivly and havnt flat spotted it. Also a kid i know who rides trials for maxxis rides an xl out back with a regular up front and hasnt had any problems either.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
i'm going to try to be as helpfull as drunken ninja.

i'm guessing you are a small, relatively light weight rider who buts an empshais on being able to ride both Up and downhill. you dabble teensy bit with "urban", but we aren't going to see you in a skatepark anytime soon. if that fits you, those wheels are overkill and you'd be much happier with something with lighter, narrower rims, like 317's, ds1's or 517's.

Thylacine

Monkey
May 9, 2002
Steve Irwins Bungalow
I agree with the Captain - I personally wouldnt touch XT disc hubs OR Sun rims. You're definitely getting what you pay for there. And machine built wheels? They're generally fine, but will need tweeking by someone who knows what they're doing, so you could skip all that and just get good hand built wheels in the first place.

I've been riding mountain bikes for 15 years and have never met a Sun rim that was anywhere near a Mavic, and the XT disc hubs? How many ways are there to say 'boat anchors'? The rear is an unprecidented what? 500g? If you're going to spend money, then wheels are the place to do it. Everything else you can replace when you wear it out.

I've been very happy with Mavic 519/DT revo/DT Onyx disc combo. Sure, its going to be more than your current offering, but you'll definitely be happy with it.

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
Originally posted by Capt. Burntout
i'm guessing you are a small, relatively light weight rider who buts an empshais on being able to ride both Up and downhill. you dabble teensy bit with "urban", but we aren't going to see you in a skatepark anytime soon. .

thats me.

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
thanks for all the help ladies and gentlemen. i think i'm going to hold off. i don't need to up grade, i just wnat to upgrade. i really don't have the money to spend anyway and since it seems like it isnt a once in a lifetime deal, i'm gonna let it go.

i dont know what i would do without you guys. i'd just be buying bike parts all willy nilly.

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
Originally posted by laura

I looked at it and it is not a DISK hub :(

Oh wait... there they are...

What is the difference between a Rhyno Lite and a Rhyno?

Is the Rhyno like the Rhyno XL?

ghettorigged

lawn dart extraordinare
Apr 8, 2002
Killadelphia
Good idea holding off if you are not in 'need' :D

I love that wheel combo but not unless you need something that beefy. Rhyno Lites are not the friendsliest weight-watchers but they can withstand abuse. I personally like the 317 or 517 rims for xc use because you get a strong but lighter xc wheel. :D