Quantcast

Tell Me What Cranks to Buy

WKC

Monkey
Feb 23, 2005
Down in the G-Spot
I need to decide on a 3-Piece cromoly cranks for my next bike. I much prefer Pinch-Bolt style arms, that pinch onto the BB spindle, but 48 spline would be fine. I had decided on the Eastern Electron Cranks, but I recently learned that they are quite heavy. They can't be too expensive, so a lot is out (if money weren't an option then I would order Deitys without question). It has to be able to use a Euro BB, and be 170 or 175mm arm lengths.

I am still open to the Eastern Cranks, but I have also looked at FSA, Odyssey 41 Thermals, Demolition 3-Piece, and a few others.

Any advice would be good.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
You can't go wrong with Profile or Madera.

I liked my Primos too.

For the most part almost any 3-piece crank is gonna be similar weight and strength, just go for the ones with the features/price you like.

Almost all 3-piece cranks come in 175mm and 180mm. If you're set on 170mm you've gotta go Profile.

_bp

Monkey
Apr 20, 2004
Annandale
I don't want to put down anybody or make false assumptions, but I am pretty sure there are a whole lot of three peice cranks that are all made by the same manufacturer, including deity, that sell for vastly different prices. Go to Dan's comp and look at what is out there. Compare prices and designs.

And as far as the pinch bolt style goes they tend to be a WHOLE lot heavier and come with a giant crack already in them, held together by a bolt. And they like to catch your pant legs.

Mar 10, 2005
Santa Cruz/Sacramento, Ca
I don't wear clothes when I ride, so the three piece cranks aren't much of a problem. And if I do ever make a mistake and actually put on pants, they're girl pants. Don't have to worry about anything getting stuck in those.

But really, I do. I wear comfortable fit pants -- Dickies and slacks from tech 9ine and dockers. I've never had a problem with my 3-pieces.

I know a large bunch of the BMX cats dig the primo powerbites and hollowbites. On top of that, the Oddy Wombolts are starting to gain, but they aren't threepiece.

don

Turbo Monkey
Nov 8, 2001
Rumson, NJ
Profiles would be my first choice. And Primos second. But any of the ones you mentioned should work fine.

spanjean

Chimp
Oct 26, 2006
i use DK chop stix on all of my bikes, never had any problems. If i ever did they always take care of a brother!!!!!!!