Quantcast

Tendon and ligament issues anyone?

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
NOTE: I'm not a damn doctor, so I don't know all the jargon. Also don't need links to Wikipedia, just some "your average active human" input. Of course, some educated input can't hurt too much, either.
If I go down during a ride, be it XC, goofin, fully pinned, whatever...I get hurt. Not really a question of how I land or anything. If I hang a leg while bermed out and it stutters a bit on the ground, it'll take me a month to not have it feel like my ankle and/or knee isn't ripped out of its joint, and it never fully heals. I went down 4 feet into a practice run at the last DH race when a kid dropped in from the side and took my front wheel out from under me. Slow speed washout, I reached down to grab a boulder so I didn't have to roll down the drop-in...the outside 3 fingers on my left hand are half what they used to be. That was in July. I can't do a pushup now without needing to bite my tongue off. Umm...dirtjumping one day into a pile soft dirt, landed with my left leg kinda under me, like you'd be when you sit on the floor to play with your kids? I now can't sit on the floor and play with my kids! Feels like my hip's going to explode. My bone and joint doc either doesn't really seem to get how serious I am about it or possibly there's just nothing I can do about it, but his only suggestion is "Buy a hottub." It's more than that. I'm only 35, I've always been active, and I stretch before rides.
I'm not a fan of drugs at all, and really pissed that lately I've been taking a lot of Ibuprofen.
Any ideas?

P.T.W

Monkey
May 6, 2007
christchurch nz
I to have problems with my hands an grip strength as due to too many years downhilling on a hardtail.The joints on both my thumbs are fairly knakerd,aswell as 1 of my wrists.Then i found these http://powerballs.co.nz dont know if there avalable over there but when i do use it for a peroid of time it does seem to help with my joint issues an general grip strength.

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
The strength issue is minor, my stuffs just don't work anymore. I can't get my left pinky finger to touch my ring finger unless I squeeze them together with my other hand.
The reason I can't do pushups AT ALL now is because I was already screwed from when I landed on my wrist once and now my wrist won't physically move back any further than 45 degrees, like I can't even pull it down, just won't go. So I can't even straighten my arm from starting a pushup, was OK doing them on closed fists until I stretched my fingers. I can't get out of a pool without a ladder or without having to do the "slippery fat kid in a pool" routine on my elbows and knees... and I'm not fat!
I'm messed up. And nothing like trying to ride hard while being scared of crashing....gonna suck being an old guy in a home. Think I'll start AIMING for trees when I hit my 50th.

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
That all sounds really bad. Your stuff is taking forever to heal........not sure what to tell you. Bone bruises maybe.......?........they take a long long time to heal. But you have to take some rugged impacts to bruise a bone..

Hope you heal up because it doesn't sound like that is happening.

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
Thanks man. They ARE getting better, but the way the hand feels, and the degree it's healed in the last 6 months, I'm guessing it'll be like 2 years before I don't have the pain, but I THINK it will always feel "tight" and the amount of movement, or lack of, hasn't changed any.
It doesn't help that I ride with a 19 year old and a 26 year old. They seriously just don't get it. I'm always "bein a pussy" or "get over it and ride." I know they can't understand yet, and hope they don't have to ever understand. But sure doesn't help watching these kids hit the ground at 30mph and get up in a ball of dust laughing. But I was that way once and they're riding twice as hard as I did at that age, so....

W4S

Turbo Monkey
Mar 2, 2004
Back in Hell A, b1thces
welcome to getting old, I know how you feel with the riding with kids...

Strength training, diet, aerobic exercise and stretching will help mitigate some of your longer term healing issues but nothing's going to help with crashing and getting injured as injury symptoms always progressively get worse as cell dissintegration happens. Find a cure to that and you'll be a billionnaire...

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Sounds like Chronic Tendenitis, not much you can do about that. Maybe wear some supports for your wrists, knees ETC... My legs hurt all the time, I basically keep Prescription Strenght Naproxen on hand at all times, and try to wear my gear everytime I ride. not much else you can do.

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
I hear you on the gear. I've been looking at moto gloves and stuff, something with a little more padding, but I can't handle anything more than an XC glove between me and the bars.
Perhaps that's why my doc didn't really have any advice for me, cuz there's nothing I can do about it. And I understand his hot tub comment because I soak my hands in hot water every morning before I start welding(another good reason for easy hand damage, I'm sure) and they're good for a few hours. They always hurt and the left is always weak, but they move easier and it seems to take the edge off. But boy...bump those fingers and I turn into a little girl! Can't wait for that first air to knuckles crash this spring! I separated my shoulder like 2 weeks after trashing my hand, so I really haven't riden since then.
I'm laughing as I write this up cuz I'm starting to sound like a total hack! Maybe I shopuld quit riding and become a librarian! Then I could just bitch about paper cuts and that little snot-nosed punk who owes me a nickle!

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
I've had tendentious in both wrists, right elbow, and right foot.
It's taken a year to heal each time.

Things I did to speed up recovery:
-avoided stretching or over using injured joint.
-wrapped joint with sports tape while riding.
-slept with a brace on. An injured tendon needs to be immobilized during rest.
-took glucosamine chondroitin to facilitate fluid to injured area.

My left shoulder is in need of surgery to repair torn, stretched, and worn out cartilage. I feel your pain man! You might try seeing an orthopedic dr. and try physical therapy. Good luck.

And yeah it sucks getting older and watching younger riders smack the ground at mock-10, and get up like nothing happened.

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
you should go see a sports medecine doctor and get some MRIs. dont mess around with ur body. how does not having a hand to use sound to u

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
Getting old sucks for sure. I have a couple years on you and for the last few years, I have been trying hard to stay in one peice to be able to ride for the couple of months of decient weather we have every year.

3rd degree shoulder seperation, broken scaphoid, two spinal surgeries including a fusion.....all in the last three or four years...go back another year or two and add a hernia and knee surgery. Sometimes I think I should throw in the towel...but a good day at whistler with friends/or snowboarding/or... is just too good to pass up.

My only input would be to make sure you are eating OK, drink lots of H2O, take a good daily suplement (unless all you eat is fresh fruits/veg/ect). Take it a little easier and try to spread the 'fun' out a bit...ride more often for shorter periods. If you work all week (you weld??) on your feet and then go out and DJ on sat for 4 hours, you ARE going to hurt. The weekend warrior idea does not work well for old farts.

Sleep/relaxation is under-rated as well IMO

Lex

Monkey
Dec 6, 2001
Massachusetts
As much as I love riding and used to love racing, I never ride/rode while nursing a painful injury. That's just asking for more trouble. It sucks to have to give it up for a while, but tendon and ligament injuries can take months to heal properly and are very easily agrivated.

When I completely tore the tendon on the top of my left, middle finger I was out during prime riding season for something like 12 weeks while it healed. When I rolled my left ankle so badly that my whole foot turned purple it took a few months to feel even remotely normal and even then I reinjured it accidentally kicking a parking block while walking to my car.

Take some time off and heal up now so you'll be back as close to normal as possible sooner rather than later.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
This thread defenetly has alot of merit, Last race I was in I placed 8th In my class, and I am very happy with that. I know my limits, and I know how long I take to heal, and without putting myself into some pretty good danger, I just couldnt find anywhere to shave any time. Guess that's what happens as we get older, and more responsible.

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
Haha..I AM screwed. Winter is the worst for me. The constant winds and freezing rains followed by a foot of snow every other week just kills everything here. It's the Plains(South Dakota) so there's no snowboarding or wintersports within 6-7 hours. I ride the couch in the winter. I'm already an insomniac, so there goes the sleep and good rest. Well, the doc says I have a sleep disorder, I say I just don't like to sleep. Ever. In the winter I spend every day with a mug of strong coffee in my hand. I usually put on like 10-15 pounds, but it comes off within 2-3 weeks after spring hits and i can spin some cranks. I also get REALLY depressed and bummed during the winter months. Bad. I NEED UV!
In the winter months, I'd say I get never more than 4 hrs of sleep a night(actually summer too), less on the weekends. I spend 10 hrs of my day eating frosted miniwheats and 3 cups of coffee, and actually a quite a bit of water. I don't take any drugs, legal or not, some Ibuprofen if I'm nursing a sore part but never longer than I have to. I don't drink any soda and only have one, small, ice cold Redbull before a ride, lots of water before, during, and after. And my main substance that supports living is tacos. Hell yeah. And smothered burritos if I'm feeling special about myself. That's me in a nuthouse...er...shell.

OrthoPT

Monkey
Nov 17, 2004
Denver
Hey Thrillseeka,
I'm a Physical Therapist. Sounds like you need a second opinion and a different doctor. Doesn't sound to me like he knows what other professionals might be able to do for you; if he can't see a way to help you, you must be beyond any help. Go get an evaluation from a Physical Therapist that's got some background in working with cyclists/mountain bikers.
Edit: during a thorough evaluation, s/he should talk to you about your various injuries, how/when they happened, how you are now compared to before, and what goals you have for your rehab. The physical examination should cover range of motion, strength, etc. After the initial evaluation, the PT will have a much better idea of what your injuries may have affected and what needs to be done to help them recover as much as possible. PM me if you have any questions.
-Danny

jonny dh

Monkey
Oct 26, 2007
under my feet
Hey Thrillseeka,
I'm a Physical Therapist. Sounds like you need a second opinion and a different doctor. Doesn't sound to me like he knows what other professionals might be able to do for you; if he can't see a way to help you, you must be beyond any help. Go get an evaluation from a Physical Therapist that's got some background in working with cyclists/mountain bikers.
Edit: during a thorough evaluation, s/he should talk to you about your various injuries, how/when they happened, how you are now compared to before, and what goals you have for your rehab. The physical examination should cover range of motion, strength, etc. After the initial evaluation, the PT will have a much better idea of what your injuries may have affected and what needs to be done to help them recover as much as possible. PM me if you have any questions.
-Danny
most agree with you also I use bone and tissue repair by Dr. Christopher same with his heat rub I'm 32 and feel the wear and tear but when I visit kiro town and use these I have a easier time and some of my issues have gone away from this in a about a year some injuries less time,I despise under the counter meds.there like a drive through you never know what you get and have to treat afterwards.

OrthoPT

Monkey
Nov 17, 2004
Denver
Sounds like Chronic Tendenitis, not much you can do about that.
I disagree completely. Tendinitis means inflammation of the tendon. The tendon gets inflamed when it's being asked to pull beyond it's capacity. You typically need to strengthen the muscle-tendon that's inflamed (or not strong enough) and stretch them/it so it doesn't have excess tension because it has little flexibility. It's not going to be a quick fix after a few reps/sets of exercise because most of the time tendinitis develops over a long period of time. If it's chronic, you haven't been helping it get any better. So, it's probably in your best interest to get a Professional's help in setting up a workout and treatment regimen. JMHO.

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
Hey Thrillseeka,
-Danny
Hey...I think I sold you my 888 a long time ago....? Wanna sell it back to me? :)

As for my Doc, He's good. Highly reputed. He used to be the head...whatever...for the Ohio pro hockey team. Which might be BS cuz I didn't know they had one!
It's one of two things: I'm not hearing him correctly(I'll explain in a minute) or I'm not speaking clearly.
For one, I've never seen him specifically for my tendon issues. First it was a shattered radial head in my left arm(that was a f*cker! lost like 80% of the movement in that arm because I didn't really understand that when he said "keep it as mobile as you can stand." Was he nuts? It was a broken arm! A month later I learned that you have to keep joints mobile or they basically atrophy? Ill cut my arm off before I'll go through the therapy I had to endure to get my arm back. I truly know the meaning of deep, real, pain now). I injured the wrist trying to jump again within about 3 months of getting my arm use back, and just kinda mentioned it to him. He told me what I had to do, gave me a theraband(to go with the other 5 I have) and told me to check back. Never really did anything with it cuz it FUGGIN HURT. My bad. I injured my hand and fingers about two weeks before i separated my shoulder. Well, that took precedence, and again, I just kinda mentioned my hand hurt. He tossed out a few suggestions and went back to my shoulder.
When I said I probably don't hear him right, I think it's one of those things that peope who deal with this stuff every day tend to do. For instance, I had a hard time getting back on the bike and really riding after my separation. Finally, I'd had enough and went in and had to search for the right words to express my question, which was basically "Is my shoulder now a pile of crap and will it break if I bump it?" He said some stuff and some more stuff and finally he had to get right in my face and say "DON'T BE A PUSSY. GO RIDE!" Apparently it's fine, just looks really funny.
He's good, I suck.
What's "bone and tissue repair"?

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
I disagree completely. Tendinitis means inflammation of the tendon. The tendon gets inflamed when it's being asked to pull beyond it's capacity. You typically need to strengthen the muscle-tendon that's inflamed (or not strong enough) and stretch them/it so it doesn't have excess tension because it has little flexibility. It's not going to be a quick fix after a few reps/sets of exercise because most of the time tendinitis develops over a long period of time. If it's chronic, you haven't been helping it get any better. So, it's probably in your best interest to get a Professional's help in setting up a workout and treatment regimen. JMHO.
So like a squishy ball would be a good thing? I bought a couple, then decided to wait to really mess with it because my "judgement" tends to cause more harm than good. I think "creaky" or something would best describe them. They just always hurt.
And if they're inflamed, is soaking them in hot water like I do a good thing? It DOES seem to help quite a bit. But if it's helping the pain and not the problem...

jonny dh

Monkey
Oct 26, 2007
under my feet
bone and tissue repair is a ointment that heals and builds bone I know it may sound crazy but I swear by it,the mans a a master mind at herbs,I used this on my 9" long cut on my leg which I got from my pedals,just split me right open the guy next door to me is a doctor and very good at what he does,he tells me I;m going to need 17 stitches to seal it up I told him I'll put a butterfly band aide on.he chuckles and helps me any ways,I've used this stuff on cuts to bone injuries and it does the job to well,any how it took me one week to heal and it left me with a small scar,it helps your body build what it need to repair itself I love this stuff,mostly the cayenne heat rub,it pulls the inflamed area and helps the muscles relax and repair itself as well.its worth a shot and you may be surprised on how well it works it has many uses .you can get it from any health food store.kinda pricey but so well worth it.

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
My lil bro's a rock climber(and yet I have the jacked up tendons?) and those guys have ALL KINDS of crazy rubs and lotions and "what to fill your surgical gloves with before going to bed with them on..." WTF? But they swear by the stuff, so I'm not doubting your remedy. Besides, I've wasted more money on dumber **** just today!
Gotta go watch a movie... talk to you guys in a few...
Thanks for all the input, this is great, and I'm bored!

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
try to warm up a little before stretching.

Also, the suggestion that someone made above of wearing a brace while sleeping worked for me when I sprained my wrist and it wasn't healing.

Oct 9, 2006
I know you pain, I am laid out right now and it suck worse down here cuz we can ride year round.

I know you arent a big fan of meds and any regimen involving their consumption, but hear me out. I went through a few bouts of arthritic joint pain and inflamed achilles tendons from expedition kayaking and carrying a fifty pound boat for miles. I tried different approaches to getting better and none worked for any length of time. I went to the doc and told I would like to try some scripped meds. A friend a few years before had given me a handful of Celebrex to help me through a bad back sprain. So I asked the doc and he handed me about 2 months worth of Celebrex packets and told me how to take them. Well to say the least, after a week I felt better and at the end of the regimen I felt better than before I had been injured.

Its worth a look at!

Oh yeah, my current injury...

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
OMG! How'd you do that??? Geez man, make me feel like a whiny bitch, why don't ya!
How do they fix that? a bunch of pins? Sorry to see that, healin vibes headed your way!

And I let warming up slide a little around here cuz all we really have is street(yes, I'm 35 and I ride street too! Gettin a cruiser with mags soon! Weee!) and ungroomed XC trails. Not a big biking spot. But when we head west for races we usually ride light street for 2-3 hours before headin up to the mtn. Works great assuming I had a good day on the street. But all I have to do is screw up something simple and either get hurt or blow my confidence, which is usually the case. Then we chow down and go hit the course. I'm kind of a funny racer...I usually kill it in practice to the best of my abilities, then I spend my race run trying to be as smooth and flowy as possible. I've never gotten hurt in a race run, it's always practice!

Good grief...perhaps my hand injuries are computer related... if I don't get on a bike soon I'm going to turn into a secretary.

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
try to warm up a little before stretching.

Also, the suggestion that someone made above of wearing a brace while sleeping worked for me when I sprained my wrist and it wasn't healing.

Oh, and my doc did suggest trying the "buddy system" with my fingers, taping them to each other at night. I didn't really notice anything other than sweaty, smelly fingers in the morning. Sweat and gauze reeks!
Since I started this thread I've been messin with my fingers al ittle more and while they still have pain, I can remember exactly how they felt the first week and they ARE definately much better, but I can tell it will still take another year or so. I jammed both pinkies into the ground after a really bad gully jump, apparently trashed the pulleys or something like that, and that took about 2 full years.
So maybe I'm not having tendon/ligament issues as you guys all seem to say about the same thing. Perhaps my only problems are crashing too much and riding with children who don't experience healing issues yet!?

Hang tough. I'm 35 and still recovering from a fractured scaphoid after nearly 6 months. Some injuries just take a long time to heal.
The older you get, the more work it takes to stay in some kind of good level of fitness.
I don't believe that at 35, your injuries should be permanent to that much of an extent, especially on your hand, I just wouldn't settle for that. I would get some other opinions.

I ride w/ younger guys too. Bastards don't even wear armor half the time. They've never really given me much of a hard time about my lack of skill or performance, I doesn't matter to me anyway, at 35 it's all about fun.

Everyone crashes and everyones bones break. If your not crashing, your not pushing hard enough, that's my motto...can't say I really want to live up to that anymore, though.

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
Yeah, I hear ya, it's just hard to accept. Not like anyone our age has to worry about waking up to major sponsorship offers...!?
And was...Celebrex(?)...an over the counter or prescription drug? I assume prescription, which means I have to talk to a completely useless "doctor" at the local clinic since my Bone and Joint Spec will just prescribe therapy, which, despite it's advantages, I just don't have the time and patience for. And my PT is actually pretty cool, he's a roadie/Cyclocross type, but atleast he gets it. But two little girls, a full time job that I'm already losing hours at, and working with state parks every week on trails and events and smacking my head into a wall after each meeting doesn't leave me much free time! And what I do have is for pedalin!
I'm my own worst enemy! Probably why I'm on here looking for free advice from you busted up f*ckers! lol!

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
I haven't kept up with this entire thread but one thing i found that works with stubburn tendonitis is Arnica cream.

http://www.ctcream.com/index.htm?gclid=CKeS06WnyZECFQVTHgod71H0zw

Used it on my elbow when nothing esle would work.......combined with some targeted weight work on the what seemed impossbile to heal finally did clear up.

Something i have been using this year is the foam rolller. James Wilson on this site suggested using it.....man that thing works. At first my IT band hurt just to touch it, now i can put my full weight on the roller. Feels so good when you done.....but it takes some work. More work than just strecthing...but strecthing is good too.

Oct 9, 2006
Celebrex is prescrip only, but it is a miracle drug....It is worth it...tell your doc that is what you want and he will give it to ya!

OrthoPT

Monkey
Nov 17, 2004
Denver
So like a squishy balwould be a good thing? I bought a couple, then decided to wait to really mess with it because my "judgement" tends to cause more harm than good. I think "creaky" or something would best describe them. They just always hurt.
And if they're inflamed, is soaking them in hot water like I do a good thing? It DOES seem to help quite a bit. But if it's helping the pain and not the problem...
the squishy ball will help your isometric strength (power for holding you grips). The heat encourages blood flow to the area and helps clear out the toxins that the muscles produce when they work; that's probably why you feel better after.

To calm the tendon pain, you might try a 5-minute ice massage. Hold an ice cube with a folded paper towel, to keep from damaging the skin cells on your fingertips, and rub it over the painful area for 5 minutes. The area should be numb after about 3-4 minutes, but do it for the 5 to keep it numb for longer. How's it work? The ice slows the conduction velocity of the nerves that carry pain signals to your brain (it puts them to sleep.)

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
I did the ice thing wrapped in a hanky for the weekend of the race pretty much the entire time I didn't have a grip in my hand. Just seemed to make the hand really stiff. Like couldn't open my fingers. Started alternating heat and cold thinking it would encourage blood flow and noticed that the heat took the pain away and made the fingers more nimble, so I stuck with it. The ice did take away the bruising in my palm almost immediately though, like by the next morning the darkness was completely gone.
Isn't it also true that caffine really slows down the healing process? I really hope that's a myth...

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Iirc, Celebrex was not pulled, but other Cox-5 inhibiting pain killers/anti-inflammatory drugs were. The manufacturer pulled it for fear of litigation until Merck works out their pending lawsuits.
As for the tendon/ligaments issues, when I started riding DH in 98, I had a separated clavicle from a snowboarding accident. When I quit in 2004 (4 years top 20 nationally ranked expert, 1 year semi-pro), my list of injuries was so high that it hurts to roll out of bed (I'm 27). Among those are bad joint issues on my impact points: my knees, my elbows, left hip, ankles, and fingers. All of these points were ripped out of joint at one point or another in my racing career with exception of my knees, but the damage there is wear. My doctor and PT, based on what I have told them (I'm VERY forthright) believe it's from riding my 44# dh bike with poor gearing up thousands of feet and countless miles ( I was riding 500 miles/week, 100+ on the DH).
I quit because of this damage. I now ride XC and Tri, and even then, I wear custom insoles and serious knee braces. I can not run on asphalt because of the damage to my knees. My other sport, climbing is beginning to become an issue because my fingers are prone to dislocating after ripping them all out of joint multiple times racing DH. And these both pale in comparison to the herniated disc in my back. At one point, I could not even walk because the nerves in my back were so inflamed. I've had two epidurals and will probably need many more in my lifetime. At a certain point, you need to gauge how 'worth it' riding DH is for you.
I spent about $35k in six years racing DH, none of which I will ever see again. Throw another $3000 a year in injury related medical costs indefinitely into the future and DH has been very costly, at least for me.
I've since moved into cars and XC/Tri. Cars for the rush, XC/Tri for the physical side. So far only Rally has been able to compare to DH, but getting a clapped car prepped for rally should only cost about $6000. At least for me, that was how much one bike would cost.

Listen to your body, because ignoring it only makes things worse.
-Stoney