Quantcast

Tension Management and Mental Interference

TranceX2Jake

Chimp
Jun 4, 2011
Hey Everyone,

So, I went riding the other day and I started out pretty good on the easy stuff, but got more tense as the day went along on the steeper parts of my ride. It kinda felt like I was pushing a lot of my weight on my bars, squeezing the hell out of the grips, and my body could only stay in one position. This was mostly on steep turns and other parts like that. I know keeping relaxed and loose is like super important when riding and I usually am pretty calm when I ride, but it was just that one day that I was mentally off. It was my first day back from getting stitches in my arm from a crash a few weeks back, so that might have been affecting me subconsciously, but there was definitely no hesitation getting back on my bike. I also still have some fear factors when I do downhill. Stuff like having my rear wheel slide, landing jumps wrong... basically crashing, but I guess its pretty normal when riding so I am going to have to suck it up and push myself to conquer those fears. Another thing that might have caused this was the fact that I like to think a lot. Its both a good and bad part of me. But mostly bad since it gets in the way when I am riding. I sometimes spend more time thinking about the route and how to approach then actually staying focused and riding the damn thing. So, maybe I am over-thinking this whole situation and just need to tell my mind to shut up and go ride!
The bottom line is that I was wondering if you guys have any tips or tricks that you use to keep yourself calm and tension free when you ride?

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
its nice when a long rambling question can be answered such a concise manner, and its even nicer when that answer is so 100% true.

beer.

or weed, if thats your thing, but I find beer works better.

alpine slug

Monkey
Jun 10, 2011
as someone who has spent tons of hours riding under the influence of one, the other or both of EtOH and THC, I will observe:

1) no matter who you are, alcohol will mess up your reaction time and your coordination. it is a central nervous system depressant and therefore its metabolism results in you losing reaction time and body coordination. you may "feel" looser but you're going sloppier and you'd do better sober, guaranteed -- unless you are an alcoholic and the withdrawal symptoms you get when you're sober completely prevent you from riding.

2) THC affects people differently. some people get so freaked by the time slows down aspect and the detachment/dislocation aspect of being high that the experience will totally mess with their ability to ride a bike. I know quite a few people who puff except when on a bike. on the other hand I know a lot of people who ride for Team Blue Smoke and their riding is a bit more relaxed. this supposedly is why the UCI banned THC for DH racers.

now with the pharma/toxics stuff out of the way,

if the terrain and/or trail makes you freak out, you're in over your head.

you'll never improve when you're scared. never.

you have to be in a mental place where you're calm and able to notice, for example, that when you do X, you find the bike does Y and not Z. you have to be able to react consciously and positively, not out of fear.

build your skills on terrain that is so comfortable, you are riding with maximum intent and aggression.

p-spec

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2004
quebec
as someone who has spent tons of hours riding under the influence of one, the other or both of EtOH and THC, I will observe:

1) no matter who you are, alcohol will mess up your reaction time and your coordination. it is a central nervous system depressant and therefore its metabolism results in you losing reaction time and body coordination. you may "feel" looser but you're going sloppier and you'd do better sober, guaranteed -- unless you are an alcoholic and the withdrawal symptoms you get when you're sober completely prevent you from riding.

2) THC affects people differently. some people get so freaked by the time slows down aspect and the detachment/dislocation aspect of being high that the experience will totally mess with their ability to ride a bike. I know quite a few people who puff except when on a bike. on the other hand I know a lot of people who ride for Team Blue Smoke and their riding is a bit more relaxed. this supposedly is why the UCI banned THC for DH racers.

you have to be in a mental place where you're calm and able to notice, for example, that when you do X, you find the bike does Y and not Z. you have to be able to react consciously and positively, not out of fear.

build your skills on terrain that is so comfortable, you are riding with maximum intent and aggression.
who the flip are you some scientist doctor ????

were are you going with this ????

man up and ride or dont.beer and other substances are for after.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Alpine slug pretty much nailed it. Looking at the things that you said bothered you, there are a few other things you can do.

Think when you are looking at features the first time and learning new trails. Do all of your 'analysis' while you are learning a new trail then trust yourself. Your mind will cause more crashes, because your instincts inherently want to keep you alive/upright.

As for fear coming back from an injury, you will be hesitant until you get comfortable on your bike again. Just know that being too hesitant can and will cause you to crash. After my back surgery, I padded up and started riding within a few months. I augured so bad it took me a few minutes to get off the ground (crash thread).
On my next ride I was far more comfortable with getting loose and letting the bike flow because I had crashed. Once you get the first crash post-injury out of the way, you will get more comfortable because you know it doesn't hurt/you were injured on a fluke crash.

Just go ride one of the easier trails that you know really well and get your comfort back there. once you get your mojo back, you'll be fine.

Aug 4, 2008
@Alpine Slug: I agree regarding substances, but:
Dude this is wrong. There is no way you can push the limit consciously. For an extreme example - imagine trying to play table tennis consciously?

My advice is:
1. Get fit. You were probably tired, not scared.
2. Even if you were scared - there is only one cure. Ride Moar! You need to train your nervous system to be able to handle all the **** going down when riding bike fast over rough stuff. So ride more challenging tracks, when you're riding your bike fast - there is no time for conscious reactions. When you're in "the zone" the lizard in you takes over (peripheral nerve system) - you're riding subconsciously and that is what makes it feel so good. So if you are overwhelmed it won't feel good.

There is no quick solution.

Oh. There are couple more general tips that might help you out. First look farther down the track, trust your body to manage with bumps and stuff. Second, learn to take your corners wide. Most of rookies try to corner waaay too tight. And learn not to brake while cornering.

Basically take it slow and start riding the right way and then you will automatically keep getting faster and looser as you get comfortable.

Last edited:

MarkDH

Monkey
Sep 23, 2004
Scotland
I can relate to the over-thinking aspect, it's something I do myself. However, I think you can use it to your advantage. When you walk the track, that is when you want to get analytical, you can work out lines and visualise where you want to be, where you'll brake etc. without, obviously, the risk of a crash. When you get on the bike though, you need to turn the brain off. I don't mean daydream and think about what your having for lunch, but keep focused and trust that what you decided to do when you walked the track is stored in your brain and will happen if you let it. Just simplify it as much as you can, like bullet points; get wide before this corner, keep above that root on the offcamber, stay right in the rockgarden. I'm by no means fast but turning the brain off has helped me with my riding.

Also, if your nervous and tensing up about steep parts, as said above take a step back. Get to a speed and standard you're happy with on trails that you feel comfortable on, then try something a bit harder. The macho bullsh*t attitude of hucking yourself into something that's way out of your comfort zone will only end up in more time off the bike and more mental baggage from crashing. Don't do something with big consequences until you feel you have a pretty decent chance of making it.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
try not to overthink things. I spent an hour on a trail walk and picking out "pinner lines". When it came time to ride, you couldn't hit half of those lines because of the speed you were carrying, and other lines became possible that didn't look it on a walk because tires are so good now.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

alpine slug

Monkey
Jun 10, 2011
@Alpine Slug: I agree regarding substances, but:

Dude this is wrong. There is no way you can push the limit consciously. For an extreme example - imagine trying to play table tennis consciously?
It's not "wrong," and you're a d!ck for trying to make "right" versus "wrong."

You have interpreted "consciously" erroneously, apparently for the purpose of proving me "wrong."

That's a d!ck move.

Instead of looking for a way to prove me "wrong," why don't you try imagining what "conscious" riding would look like, other than as a thing you're trying to say is "wrong."

Use your imagination.

If you have one, that is.:rolleyes:

jonKranked,

Thanks, I'm always interested in what the guys at Marty's Reliable think about thinking. :rolleyes:

Aug 4, 2008
Ooooh, didn't mean to trigger lvl 10 butthurt. But its the interwebz, if you're not a dick nobody takes you seriously :D

But I insist. Riding faster is not something one does through sheer power of will. It is subconscious - yes one may take mental notes while in the zone. But thats a pretty advanced technique :D.

Carcinogen

Chimp
May 5, 2011
Seattle
As much as I would like to suggest pot or alcohol is the answer it usually doesn't end the way I think it should... My best suggestion would be music, something that gets you pumped to ride and clears your mind.

staike

Monkey
May 19, 2011
Norway
I can relate to the over-thinking aspect, it's something I do myself. However, I think you can use it to your advantage. When you walk the track, that is when you want to get analytical, you can work out lines and visualise where you want to be, where you'll brake etc. without, obviously, the risk of a crash. When you get on the bike though, you need to turn the brain off. I don't mean daydream and think about what your having for lunch, but keep focused and trust that what you decided to do when you walked the track is stored in your brain and will happen if you let it. Just simplify it as much as you can, like bullet points; get wide before this corner, keep above that root on the offcamber, stay right in the rockgarden. I'm by no means fast but turning the brain off has helped me with my riding.

Also, if your nervous and tensing up about steep parts, as said above take a step back. Get to a speed and standard you're happy with on trails that you feel comfortable on, then try something a bit harder. The macho bullsh*t attitude of hucking yourself into something that's way out of your comfort zone will only end up in more time off the bike and more mental baggage from crashing. Don't do something with big consequences until you feel you have a pretty decent chance of making it.
Mother****ing true. All of it.

And don't freak out if you miss your line. Earlier I got really tense if I weren't familiar with a line and freaked out and eventually crashed. The trick is to FOCUS and let go of the brakes as much as possible without getting out of your comfort zone.