Quantcast

TentMonkey

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Here's the deal. I've got a Big Agnes Fly Creek 2 person. It's a fantastic lightweight backpacking tent, but has its compromises that come with the territory in something that light- chiefly that the interior volume and vestibule are pretty small, and that it's not good in heavy winds. I'd like to get a second, heavier duty tent for car camping and more severe conditions. I don't need a true 4 season, but want something substantially burlier and ideally roomier than the Fly Creek, but still at a weight/size that won't be too brutal to backpack with. Let's say a budget of $400. Gimme some suggestions.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Fwiw I'm in sort of a similar situation. Need something bigger, but for family. Leaning towards something on the less expensive side, because kid.

junkyard

You might feel a little prick.
Sep 1, 2015
San Diego
I got a cheap tent from Walmart for when I car camp with my buddies. My gf won't camp in a tent so we have a trailer. If she tent camped /when the kids get bigger I'll get a cheap two room, replace as necessary. Because tents get fucked up in my world. I hate Walmart though.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Then if it's primarily for car camping get a 3 person tent to have a little more space.

I use a Big Agnes Copper Spur UL3 for similar.
More space really isn't the main point. I mostly want something heavier duty that I can still backpack with reasonably.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Then if it's primarily for car camping get a 3 person tent to have a little more space.

More space really isn't the main point. I mostly want something heavier duty that I can still backpack with reasonably.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I was out camping with the Park Service in Katmai National Park week before last. The park rangers go out and camp all the time, so they seem to know their gear. I was supplied a North Face tent and I didn't care for it one bit, lots of steps to set it up and just kind of goofy. It did keep me dry when it rained though. When you start getting frustrated and tired of having to do all these steps you just start tying shit together. I'm kind of the opposite as far as size, I want as small as possible for a 2 person, which makes for a good one-person out in the field, so this North Face was kind of on the big side for 1 person. The Ranger was using a Hilleberg though and she raved about how good and durable it was (pictured on right). I figure if anyone should know, she should. I helped set it up and it seemed decent. She bought it with her own money although the Park Service buys good gear (as opposed to our government agency, where we have to beg borrow and steal to get anything halfway decent). I have my own REI half-dome that I have used a few times, including a month back on a Salmon fishing trip where it rained half the time (and I stayed dry inside). It's much simpler and quicker to set up. That fence-looking thing is the electric bear fence :)
01c860cc071d529174663f52c2bd5b6747f2161c8a.jpg

Edit: holy crap, those things are expensive! I got my tent at the REI members rack for stupid cheap. On the other hand, I don't use it every week.

Last edited:

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle

velocipedist

Lubrication Sensei
Jul 11, 2006
Rainbow City Alabama
Currently on my short list:
https://sierradesigns.com/flash-2-fl/
My car camping beast of choice:
https://www.rei.com/product/732074/sierra-designs-papagayo-
no longer available , curious rei calls it 4 person fairly certain Sierra Designs marketed it as 3 person. They used to be conservative in their occupancy not sure if that holds today.

Awesome quality quick pitching, I am solidly sold next time I am looking seriously for a new tent. Of course PNW might require a Bibler, but that blows your budget and I find mine to be bit muggy in summer months, great fall through spring.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I mostly want something heavier duty that I can still backpack with reasonably.
when it comes to tents, these 2 items tend to work against one another, ie you've gotta sacrifice one for another; and have to find a balance somewhere in between

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
when it comes to tents, these 2 items tend to work against one another, ie you've gotta sacrifice one for another; and have to find a balance somewhere in between
No shit. I'm looking for something heaviER duty than my 2.5lb ultralight, not a bomb shelter.