Quantcast

TERRRifed

HELP!

So I think I finally grew balls and am going to start racing!

I have a race tomarrow at the Wisp (local ski resort) but they said its a short cross country.

I would probably race beginner womens, so does that mean I only have to do the lap once?

And what is a "short cross country"? Im not a big climber, actually more of a downhiller/freerider. But all the races around here are cross countryish.

PLEASE any tips..words of advice...prayers!!!

thanks girls!

sunny

Grammar Civil Patrol
Jul 2, 2004
Sandy Eggo, CA
Short cross country is code for slow painful death.

Just kidding. It's probably 5-7 miles. Plan on an hour or so, depending on the terrain.

Just go out and do what you love to do! Make sure you've eaten well tonight and drink plenty of water, preferable with an electrolyte replacement. Taking Calcuim with Magnesium prior to exercise will help alleviate post-exercise cramping.

If there comes a climb you can't make, just get off and push. You are already waaaay ahead of all those schlubs who never even got off the couch. Good for you!!

Have a great time, and be sure to tell us all about it! :)

-sunny

PS. A couple more thoughts... Don't let anyone intimidate you or psyche you out because she's faster or thinks you have the wrong tires or the wrong air pressure. Just do what you know to do, relax, and when in doubt, just breathe. :) If you don't know anyone, go introduce yourself!

mohshee

Monkey
Jan 31, 2006
MD by way of Austin, TX
Definitely remember to just have fun. Too many people get caught up in the race aspect and the fun is non-existent. Like Sunny said, it'll probably be only 5-7 miles (or one lap) and it can sometimes be better to hop off and walk (or run :) ) something (like a stupid climb) then wasting a lot of energy pedalling up it. It sounds like you are more of a technical girl -- since you like DH/freeride -- so you'll totally make up time on anything even remotely technical (a lot of women xc racers, it seems from my experience so far, don't have a tremendous amount of technical skill -- just my 2 cents worth). Good luck!!! And have an awesome time!

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Best advice for your first cross country race...just go out, ride, and have fun. I'm guessing it's around 8 miles. Keep in mind that the race isn't going to be won in the first mile. Pace yourself and settle into a speed that is "comfortable" to you. That's in quotes because races aren't really ever comfortable. You're always going harder than you normally would! :)

Have fun and post back and let us know how it went!

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
racing is so much fun. I was nervous every time i raced, but it ended up being such a blast. just don't think of it as a race. I always get flustered when i start "competing". good luck.

amydalayna

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
south lake tahoe, ca
laura said:
I was nervous every time i raced, but it ended up being such a blast.
i am still nervous every time i race. that beeping sound at the gate makes my stomach churn. but it's this amazing relief when you're about 1/2 way done with your run. It's like the hard part is over.... all the waiting and worrying. Now all you need to do is finish.

redFoxx

Monkey
Apr 15, 2005
Seattle
From the little bit that I raced, the Beginner's category is probably the easiest. Not much pressure and not alot of competition. Just pretend you're going for a ride on the first one.

Good luck! Afterwards you'll enjoy being psyched up and wired from having done it.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Rule #1 - HAVE FUN!!! Just go out and have fun. My first real race was a 24 hour team effort and I was there just to see if I could survive. I did and now I am hooked. I enjoy being out on the course with all of the other riders and have SO much fun. Try not to go out too hard...I generally do (excited to start my lap) and make sure you tell us all how you do!

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
amydalayna said:
i am still nervous every time i race. that beeping sound at the gate makes my stomach churn. but it's this amazing relief when you're about 1/2 way done with your run. It's like the hard part is over.... all the waiting and worrying. Now all you need to do is finish.

BWAHAHAHAhahahahaha beeping gates. A little fancier than races in these parts. we got a guy that says 'ready, go'. Generally, our start is on the ground. The one time we had a gate, I was so nervous, I didn't want to try it out because I never had before, so i started on the ground. :rolleyes:

amydalayna

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
south lake tahoe, ca
the first time i practiced at the bmx track and had to do the air pressure gates i was so confused. i could not track stand and my starts looked so ridiculous because i was trying to clip in all they way up to the first jump.

eventually one of the 12 year olds pulled me aside and taught me how to do it.

i think it would be fun to have someone just yell at me 'ready, go!'
beeps confuse me.

well guess what.... I WON!!!! first place!!!! haha in my class...which was just me! YAY!!!

But I did the 3 miles in 23 minutes....not bad I dont think. The first mile and a half was ALL uphill. I wanted to die. But like you girls said...I killed it on the downhill....loved it!

I cant wait to start racing downhill!!!!

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
AWESOME!!! You'll get better at climbing the more you do it. I actually (yes, I know I am sick in the head) like the pain of a good climb and LOVE the thrill of a rewarding DH section!

amydalayna

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
south lake tahoe, ca
laura said:
Congratulations. Always remember, winning by default is still winning.
:stupid:

right on. just because you were the only one in your class doesn't take anything away from the win.

do you think that made it harder to push yourself? i know i tend to ride a bit faster if the fear of being passed is there. i'm a bad self-motivater.

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Congrats! I enjoy the climbs as much as the DH's. I DO think you ride faster when you are racing with/against other people.

Keep up the good work!

zoey

Monkey
Mar 19, 2006
california
Yay! Racing rocks!! :) Good job on first place! You beat out all those other girls who were too afraid to try.

So what's next?

Welllll...I have a downhill race Im signing up for on the 27th of may and another xcountry race 2 weeks from yesterday.

And even though I was first in my class (only in my class) I did beat some of the boys and a guy who droppped out!

So that was pretty exciting. ANNNDDDD I did it on a single speed. So I should get some stupidity yet ballsy credit there hahha.