Quantcast

Terry Schiavo again...

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Hey did you guys know that other stuff has been happening in the world? And some of it is WAY more important than this?

fluff

Monkey Turbo
Sep 8, 2001
Feeling the lag
Changleen said:
I'm trying to save you guys from being kept dumb by the media disinformation machine.
Too late - anyway PCs make you dumb, it's ofishul:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/03/21/how_dumb_kids/

Quote:

A few grown-ups would benefit from following the recommendations too. For years technology-advocates have made the lazy equation that "information" is "power" - but "information", we're belatedly discovering, doesn't in itself mean anything. As anyone who's watched the quality of online discussions deteriorate over the past ten years, "problem-solving deficit disorder" isn't entirely confined to schoolchildren. Many of today's debaters prefer "Fisking" - line-by-line rebuttals where facts are dropped like radar chaff - to rational debate or building a coherent argument.

During the 2004 Presidential TV debate season, technophiles advocated extending this approach to real-time "fact checking" of the candidates. But not all facts have equal value. And neither do they necessarily supply context - a blizzard of facts obscures the moral choices a voter weighs in making his decision.

For people who consider "facts" are an adequate substitute for knowledge, Google and the internet couldn't get here quickly enough.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
fluff said:

Quote:

A few grown-ups would benefit from following the recommendations too. For years technology-advocates have made the lazy equation that "information" is "power" - but "information", we're belatedly discovering, doesn't in itself mean anything. As anyone who's watched the quality of online discussions deteriorate over the past ten years, "problem-solving deficit disorder" isn't entirely confined to schoolchildren. Many of today's debaters prefer "Fisking" - line-by-line rebuttals where facts are dropped like radar chaff - to rational debate or building a coherent argument.

During the 2004 Presidential TV debate season, technophiles advocated extending this approach to real-time "fact checking" of the candidates. But not all facts have equal value. And neither do they necessarily supply context - a blizzard of facts obscures the moral choices a voter weighs in making his decision.

For people who consider "facts" are an adequate substitute for knowledge, Google and the internet couldn't get here quickly enough.
you do realize you posted the quote in order to not be a 'fisker', right?

what were we talking about??? whatever it was, i'm sure you're full of crap; now let me search the rm forums to back up that claim post haste.

fluff

Monkey Turbo
Sep 8, 2001
Feeling the lag
$tinkle said:
you do realize you posted the quote in order to not be a 'fisker', right?

what were we talking about??? whatever it was, i'm sure you're full of crap; now let me search the rm forums to back up that claim post haste.
I feel that I found multiple levels of irony in that particular frisk. I was so proud.

Damn True

Monkey Pimp
Sep 10, 2001
Between a rock and a hard place.
fluff said:

Quote:

Brilliant.

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
Westy said:
You can't click the morphine button when your brain can't tell what pain is or what the concept of pain is.
The whole point of the button is that if you get too effed up, you can't hit it. Plus its on a timer. On know people who have been on them.

But more on topic, this whole issue infuriates me. The evangelical (sp) right is doing everything they can to destroy the spirit of "Seperation of Church and State" while not touching the letter of the law. What a bunch of vot pandering $#^&&*('*&*'s.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Damn True said:
Changleen said:
I'm trying to save you guys from being kept dumb by the media disinformation machine.

Oh my god!
You have surpassed your own records for self importance and arrogance.

This is like the day Cal Ripken beat the consecutive games played record or the day that Pete Rose beat the all time hit record!
Or maybe it was a joke... :think:

Nov 28, 2001
GWN-ON-TO
her parents, for being self-avowed 'good catholics' - seem to not understand the whole concept of their own religion.

i mean, doG does reward His children AFTER they have passed the 'veil' between life and death, no?

i'm not debating the merits of any religion, but if i were a Geezus-lovin' Catholic, i'd be quite all right with meeting up with Him.

the schindler's [some irony in that name, mebbe, but damnifiknowwhere] apparent fear and loathing of death seems at odds with the prime tenets of Christianity.

i mean, wtf?

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
stosh said:
The thing that bothers me most is she did this to herself to stay thin.
I realized the irony of that this morning. A lack of food is what got her into this situation, and now its the "way out."

fluff

Monkey Turbo
Sep 8, 2001
Feeling the lag
Just Lookin'... said:
her parents, for being self-avowed 'good catholics' - seem to not understand the whole concept of their own religion.

i mean, doG does reward His children AFTER they have passed the 'veil' between life and death, no?

i'm not debating the merits of any religion, but if i were a Geezus-lovin' Catholic, i'd be quite all right with meeting up with Him.

the schindler's [some irony in that name, mebbe, but damnifiknowwhere] apparent fear and loathing of death seems at odds with the prime tenets of Christianity.

i mean, wtf?
If she dies without absolution does she not go to purgatory for a while (a bit like a refugee camp in Hell for those yet to be admitted to Heaven)?

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
Andyman_1970 said:
She's finding that out right now.....................
that's weird how the world knows w/in 15 minutes

this part boils my blood:
"Unfortunately, just 10 or so minutes before she died we were told we had to leave the room because there would be an assessment of her condition and because her husband Michael wanted to be in the room," said Father Frank Pavone, national director of Priests for Life.

Pavone said Michael Schiavo outright rejected the Schindlers' request to be with their daughter in her final moments.

"His heartless cruelty continued until the end," he said

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
Silver said:
That surprises you? They made him out to be Hitler Jr. in the media, and then they expect him to be the bigger man? Reaping what you sow...
sorry, i don't follow.
the parents made him out to be "hitler jr."? that seems to be a rather brusque assessment. perhaps you're right (i haven't followed every gory detail), but i can't imagine they acted untowardly given the circumstances.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
$tinkle said:
sorry, i don't follow.
the parents made him out to be "hitler jr."? that seems to be a rather brusque assessment. perhaps you're right (i haven't followed every gory detail), but i can't imagine they acted untowardly given the circumstances.
C'mon, you must have been reading some of the news lately. The **** was pretty much being thrown in one direction.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
Silver said:
C'mon, you must have been reading some of the news lately. The **** was pretty much being thrown in one direction.
and that's just it: i've been reading the news, and when it (rather quickly) turned to gossip, i turned away. must say, however, didn't hear a lot of positive responses from the accussee's camp to the various charges levied. air america did have some choice comments, and if they're michael's advocate, then he's screwed.

i'm more interested how this will shape domestic policy & various rights to die/nutrition/choice/gov't intervention.

you & i can frame this as a right-to-die issue, but for the disabled, this is a right-to-kill issue.

Andyman_1970

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2003
The Natural State
Silver said:
That surprises you? They made him out to be Hitler Jr. in the media, and then they expect him to be the bigger man? Reaping what you sow...
Isn't he catholic? Isn't that the point of being a follower of Jesus (which catholics claim to be) to be the bigger man and love those you hate you or talk bad about you?

clancy98

Monkey
Dec 6, 2004
Repack said:
I realized the irony of that this morning. A lack of food is what got her into this situation, and now its the "way out."
whats the old joke?

"mama cass and karen carpenter. If they wouldv'e split that sandwich they'd both be alive today..."

sorry. :nuts:

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
Silver said:
I with Silver on this one.

If they kicked my balls like they did to Micheal I can only imagine how civil they would have been to him at the time of "death". They hate him something fierce...and maybe rightfully so on their side. They held on to the beleife their daughter was still present in more than a heart p[umping sense.

But given the legally appointed choice, Micheal as the gaurdian, I would have wanted that time to be with my wife, sans the circus the parents have made it. The parent were let in shortly after (though probably to long...considering they wanted to be there)

I would have kept them out to. If you ask me they were torturing Terry for 15 years fighting to keep her organs pumping.

She died over 15 years ago.

All mudlinging aside I hope Terry can finally be at peace. In the larger relm of things this made millions aware and brought discussion of preparations of death. That is a good thing.

as a side note: I am sure Silver is mortified that I agree with him. ;)

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
Hey anyone see the elderly gentleman that is refusing life sustaining proceedures because he felt this is the best way to go....

They are making it public to show how a family can be there and how it is OK to let nature take it's course.

I wish I would have wrote the family name down....I suck at searching.

fluff

Monkey Turbo
Sep 8, 2001
Feeling the lag
There's this guy in the UK (linky ) who wants to be kept alive even when he cannot communicate. Can't say it's what I want but who's to tell what anyone wants who has not expressed their wishes?

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
RhinofromWA said:
But given the legally appointed choice, Micheal as the gaurdian, I would have wanted that time to be with my wife, sans the circus the parents have made it.
expand on this please.
specifically: what do believe michael's feelings are toward his (now ex-) wife (not his common law wife, by whom he has 2 children, and with whom he lays down each night)?
RhinofromWA said:
In the larger relm of things this made millions aware and brought discussion of preparations of death. That is a good thing.
ogrish accounts spiked this month, too :eek:

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
$tinkle said:
expand on this please.
specifically: what do believe michael's feelings are toward his (now ex-) wife (not his common law wife, by whom he has 2 children, and with whom he lays down each night)?
After more than 15 year I hope the hell he moved on.

WTF!?!?

What does everyone expect? I say good for him. SHe has been gone for (excuse me for not quoting the exact # of years) over 15 years. What is everyones beef with him finding someone else? Doesn't mean he doesn't love Terry.

I just can't comprehend the questioning of it..... >15yrs! He moved on and her parents never did.

ogrish accounts spiked this month, too :eek:
I am not sure what you are talking about.....

As close as I got: :D
2 : a dreaded person or object
- ogre·ish /'O-g(&-)rish/ adjective

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
RhinofromWA said:
After more than 15 year I hope the hell he moved on.

WTF!?!?

What does everyone expect? I say good for him. SHe has been gone for (excuse me for not quoting the exact # of years) over 15 years. What is everyones beef with him finding someone else? Doesn't mean he doesn't love Terry.

I just can't comprehend the questioning of it..... >15yrs! He moved on and her parents never did.
see, right there: you & i could never date.
i'm a "hard-liner" w/ the whole till-death-do-us-part thing.
but even so, why didn't he truly move on & divorce her? have you wondered that yourself?

clancy98

Monkey
Dec 6, 2004
because he couldn't legally divorce her because of local laws. as a side note, Terri's parents testified to meeting and approving of his new "Mistress" in an earlier trial, did they not?

How old was Michael when all this happened? Terri was 22. Could you imagine marrying a beautiful young lady and then this happens and you are pinned with this responsibility

and people say "Suck it up and stay married, take care of her for the rest of your lives."

By the way, you're all for "til death do us part" and then you suggest divorce? Thats a clear standpoint.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
$tinkle said:
why didn't he truly move on & divorce her? have you wondered that yourself?
Maybe because he was holding up his end of an agreement regarding her wishes? If that's the case (I don't know) then it could be regarded as an amazing act of loyalty when he could've just completely walked away and left her to a fate of being forever bed-ridden. All I know is that I would only want my wife making decisions for me if I wind up in a position like Terri did. She's the only person I trust to act on my wishes, my family would have no voice in the matter regardless of their good intentions.

Jr_Bullit

I'm sooo teenie weenie!!!
Sep 8, 2001
North of Oz
True - why did you state she had "broken bones" and such back on page 5 of this nasty thread? The only evidence I have found of anything relating to a poor physical condition was a urinary tract infection her husband didn't have treated based on her doctor's advice.

I have to say, I just read more about this woman than I really wanted to - and my conclusion reamains the same - this chit should be a private family matter. It's disgusting to see it paraded about like this.

ummbikes

Don't mess with the Santas
Apr 16, 2002
Napavine, Warshington
Jr_Bullit said:
I have to say, I just read more about this woman than I really wanted to - and my conclusion reamains the same - this chit should be a private family matter. It's disgusting to see it paraded about like this.
This has been another ugly media invasion. Her family brought it on, we fed off it, and some fat cats got a few more coins. I agree, it has been disgusting.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
clancy98 said:
because he couldn't legally divorce her because of local laws.
not true.
florida's divorce laws abide by no-fault divorce, and therefore he could have been granted a divorce if he sought one (respondent not necessary)
clancy98 said:
as a side note, Terri's parents testified to meeting and approving of his new "Mistress" in an earlier trial, did they not?
1st i've read of it, & even if true, that is irrelevant to marriage vows twix these two legal partners.
clancy98 said:
How old was Michael when all this happened? Terri was 22. Could you imagine marrying a beautiful young lady and then this happens and you are pinned with this responsibility
if we want to use emotionally manipulative language, this thread will take 15 years to die, too
clancy98 said:
By the way, you're all for "til death do us part" and then you suggest divorce? Thats a clear standpoint.
not suggesting it, just saying it was a viable alternative, especially given that he was de-facto common law married to whatshername

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
$tinkle said:
see, right there: you & i could never date.
i'm a "hard-liner" w/ the whole till-death-do-us-part thing.
but even so, why didn't he truly move on & divorce her? have you wondered that yourself?
She was "dead" just her organs were still pumping.

Divorce her? That would be running out on her...and leaving her to the torture of her family keeping her organs alive. He did what he had to do for Terry. I think you would do the same thing....carry out her will. He turned down some serious cash to divorce her. If he was willing to divorce her, I would think the cash incentive would have done it.

About the dating thing.....don't knock it until you try it honey! :D

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
dan-o said:
Maybe because he was holding up his end of an agreement regarding her wishes? If that's the case (I don't know) then it could be regarded as an amazing act of loyalty when he could've just completely walked away and left her to a fate of being forever bed-ridden.
you very well could be right; we're only seeing the last hour unfold - he could have been albert schweitzer for all we know, but he's portrayed as albert desalvo