Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
MtnBikerChk said:
sounds backwards.
Response from a builder, Rob Pennel of Badger Cycles down below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMcG
So if all things being equal in terms of actual top tube length and head tube angle etc. etc.

Would a bike with a 72 degree seat tube angle have a longer effective top tube than a bike with a 73 degree seat tube, or is it the opposite??

I always get this mixed up and I'm trying to help out a friend who's researching different frames.

Thanks in advance.

Mark

You are correct. 72 would be farther away than 73.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
MMcG said:
Did you have to run a lot of seatpost to get the proper leg extension?

Not sure of the ST angle but would more seatpost expose actually shorten the ETT on the frame? Or do I have that backwards again??
Unless the seattube is canted towards the headtube, which doesn't happen, more seatpost is always going to give you a longer ETT.

So long as you're seated, that is. Once you stand up, the seat position no longer matters...it's the bottom-bracket-handlebar distance that determines your position.

MD

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
DRB said:
Just sell IAB into slavery, that should get you the downpayment. And with the reduced food bill you should be able to afford the payment.
PFFT....I tell her to BUY BUY BUY but she is trying to be all sensible about this. :rolleyes: I mean, with credit cards it's like getting stuff for free.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
I Are Baboon said:
PFFT....I tell her to BUY BUY BUY but she is trying to be all sensible about this. :rolleyes: I mean, with credit cards it's like getting stuff for free.
Then get off the stick my primate friend and buy it for her. She'll give you sh!t but love you for it in the long run. Remember its your duty as the husband to do the "irresponsible" things.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
I've had to adjust my body position for climbs every time I change a part... seems that every time I upgrade it makes my bike a worse climber... Shorter stem, longer fork, Bars with more rise.

I just crunch down more and move forward on the saddle... Its the seated steep climbs that kill... I have to be in a position that is so unnatural, oh well, small price to pay for technical bliss on everything else.

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
Some people try and try and try.... Others just buy!

A big thanks to Jollytime for taking care of the "package"

Karine's new bike!

2006 Motolite, small, set at 4-4 inch

Riding the Kingdom!

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Jozz said:
Speedgoat had mine in stock, ans also a small blue!
Jozz,

Can you tell us more about Karine's set up? What length is that stem and where is her saddle on the seat rails of that set back Easton seatpost?

Does she need to do any tweeking or is it dialed in for her?

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
MMcG said:
Jozz,

Can you tell us more about Karine's set up? What length is that stem and where is her saddle on the seat rails of that set back Easton seatpost?

Does she need to do any tweeking or is it dialed in for her?
Well we use the Element as a basis for comparaison.

The Element was a bit short and low and steep, so we wanted a more relaxed bike. At first we looked at the Blur, but that only fixed the lenght issue, still a low BB and steep angle.

Most bike we were looking for in the 4 inch travel range all had too racey geometrie, and the 5 inch models too slack too heavy for her kind of riding. At first the Motolite was a nono cause I didn't look carefuly at the geo chart in 4 inch mode. Deyv made me realized that is wasn't too slack at 4 inch... so their it is!

So in resume the Motolite is 30mm longer, BB is 0.75 inch higher and the HA angle is 0.75 slacker.

Now she has a 100mm stem (110mm on the Element) and the seat is located in the middle (far back on the Element) on the 25.4mm setback Easton post. We will try a 90mm stem next ride.

So far she just loved the way it climbed! Way better than the Element... the front stays put and traction with the RP23 is amazing. Descending feels more stable to her and solid. She called it her little tank!