Quantcast

Testing out Some home made studded tires

splat

Nam I am
well if you recall a couple of weeks ago I made a Set of Studded tires for my Sons Bike, Yesterday they had there maiden voyage , Today was the real test .

Last night as we drove by a local Pond we noticed there were people Ice skating on it . I instantly thought ride.

So he and I rode out bikes over there.

the pond in most places had about a 1/2 inch of crusty stuff on the top , with patches of super smooth Ice.

Here is my Son ras we got on the pond

Here he dicided to lock up the rear Backes on sone smooth Ice.
also Here is a Side shot of his Bike MMcG , ( Like the front Spoke Pattern ? I had fun Making that wheel )

A pic of the Old Man

Now a iittle refreshers

here is one ofthe tires I made , 1/2 Sheet metal Screws In an set of Old IRC ( studded ) Blizzards , THe studs are pretty work but you can see they are still there

Now this is the pattenr these tires make with Me Using them , my son at 60 pounds doesn't make as pronouced a pattern.

you can see the outer scrapes from the screws , and theold worn studs are still actually getting some bite.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Looks like you had fun Splat! That bike looks like a 29er for Pete.

I just got back from a ride on the HOllowpoint. I am going to really like riding this bike methinks! :thumb:

berkshire_rider

Growler
Feb 5, 2003
The Blackstone Valley
Good to see you got out to ride. :thumb:

I went over to Douglas SF today around noon. Found out they let snowmobiles ride there. We could have rode there any one of the last few weeks. If 'Nam isn't ready this week, and you want to drive over this way on the weekend, we can easily ride for 2-3 hours. :cool:

J

JRB

We have a rule about riding bikes on ponds here in TX. :think:

cool pics - thanks splat

splat

Nam I am
berkshire_rider said:
Good to see you got out to ride. :thumb:

I went over to Douglas SF today around noon. Found out they let snowmobiles ride there. We could have rode there any one of the last few weeks. If 'Nam isn't ready this week, and you want to drive over this way on the weekend, we can easily ride for 2-3 hours. :cool:
Cool I can deal With riding Douglas SF.

caputo1989 said:
Whats with the front wheel
When I built that wheel I used the Snowflake patten also called the twisted Spoke Pattern.

berkshire_rider

Growler
Feb 5, 2003
The Blackstone Valley
splat said:
Cool I can deal With riding Douglas SF
The singletrack still has too much snow, (trust me, I tried), but all the roads one would avoid in the summer are all packed down. Way better than not riding. I'm not sure about Wallum Lake. If it's solid, we could ride in both Massachusetts and Rhode Island on the same ride. :cool: