Quantcast

Testing the new camera: pictures

justsomeguy

Monkey
Oct 3, 2005
.:Jeenyus:. said:
Really grainy. Lower ISO maybe?
And the riders are really soft.

More focusing practice is needed with perhaps a touch of panning for motion shots in low light. Add a touch of fill flash to taste.

frznnomad

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
a-town biatches
well i like them but i dont know much about photography im always happy when someone actually gets off the bike to take one of me lol. nice shots though.

Netguy

Monkey
Nov 8, 2004
Whistler
Yeah, some flash fill would have worked wonders, then you can shoot at lower ISO's. However I think the D50 shoots ISO 200 minimum anyway...which kind of sucks.

The shots look good though. Apart from being a tad soft (which is most likely the lens, not the camera) you did well.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Hm, EXIF information seems to have been lost.

Good composition. As others have said, a little soft (you don't have the rider in focus - they were either moving too fast or you had pre-focused on the wrong spot), and a little grainy but I wouldn't stress about that much - just the nature of high ISOs.

As I'm looking at it, I think you have the lip of the landing in good focus, and the rider hasn't gotten there yet, which is why it's a bit off. If you had it pre-focused, your AF might very well be fast enough to catch the rider in flight so you could give that a shot.

Glad to see your D50 came, though! Nice shots, keep shooting! :thumb:

justsomeguy

Monkey
Oct 3, 2005
Netguy said:
Apart from being a tad soft (which is most likely the lens, not the camera) you did well.
Not the lens, nor the camera, when parts of a photo are sharp and the subject is soft.

dwaugh

Turbo Monkey
May 23, 2002
Bellingham, Washington ~ U.S.A.
The brake would be an orange Hayes, came stock on that bike in 2002.

The pics might be a bit grainy becasue I cropped the original and resized them a bit, the original ones are not as grainy, I checked. I'm still getting used to focusing on the rider, mainly becasue everything happens so fast. I was focusing on the case-guard before the landing most of the time.

I too was wondering about the helmet. Anyway, another pic from today, also a bit soft, I think I used the wrong setting, too slow of a shutter and I must have slightly blurred everything a bit.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Wow a vast improvement. Keep shooting, and by the way i'm heading to Galby this next Sunday maybe, for a club ride that i'm not leading though.....