Quantcast

Tetons

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Just got back from 6 days and 5 nights of backpacking through the Tetons. A lot of hard work but the most relaxing vacation I have ever had. Pictures don't do it justice.

Driving in:

Bradley lake:

Bradley lake sunset:

View from Death Canyon campsite

Climbing up to the Death Canyon Shelf

Looking up at ridgeline from Death Canyon Shelf

from death canyon cliff

One of the bears we came across. Unlike the one I nearly ran into on the trail this one was scared ****less of us. Poor fella looked a bit scrawny.

School house glacier with lake and crazy moraine wall.

view from mi casa

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
robdamanii said:
Awesome man!

How's the air at 10K feet?

Thin. Spent most of the nights above 9K. Didn't really notce any difference when moving but when sitting around doing nothing I would all of a sudden feel like I was suffocating and would need to take a few deep breaths. By the end of the trip I was acclimated. Went for a ride today and felt quite fast, good chance the altitude helped. Unfortunately I will be back to normal by the time my 18 hour race comes around next weekend.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Dude, the Tetons rock.

One of my friends who has been to over 20k said the most he felt altitude sickness, period, was in the Sierras at 11k. He said the thing that matters most is allowing yourself time to get acclimated.

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
Bicyclist said:
One of my friends who has been to over 20k said the most he felt altitude sickness, period, was in the Sierras at 11k. He said the thing that matters most is allowing yourself time to get acclimated.
does that make me wierd if i didn't experience altitude sickness when i went out to colorado last february? i was consistently up around 10k the whole time i was there.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
gnurider1080 said:
does that make me wierd if i didn't experience altitude sickness when i went out to colorado last february? i was consistently up around 10k the whole time i was there.
Everyone is different. Some people will feel it at 8000 some not till much higher. A few of us on the trip noticed one weird thing we coined as altitude eye. 3 of us has one eye that would constantly water for no seemingly no reason.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
jdcamb said:
Cool stuff :thumb: Cool glacial geology. Dream trip. Maybe someday....

It was really cool. You could see the affects of the big ice age glaciers and signs of later ones of different sizes that had moraine debris at different levels in a valley, you could kind of age them by the age/size of trees growing. Of course now most of the glaciers are little more than snow fields, yay global warming.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Here are mine from 2001 taken with a crappy disposable.

Ten weeks in the Rockies with NOLS. Grand Tetons (3 weeks hiking), Salmon River (1 week rafting, duckies, guide boating), City of Rocks (3 weeks climbing), and some Oregon/Washington river (2 weeks whitewater canoe).

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
syadasti said:
Here are mine from 2001 taken with a crappy disposable.

Ten weeks in the Rockies with NOLS. Grand Tetons (3 weeks hiking), Salmon River (1 week rafting, duckies, guide boating), City of Rocks (3 weeks climbing), and some Oregon/Washington river (2 weeks whitewater canoe).
Cool. I had an invite to sail up the western coast to Desolation Sound of of Vancouver this week but my job sucks and I was not allowed to take the time off.

A few more pics I like

More of the schoolhouse glacier

The place was filthy with wildflowers

Experimenting with some panorma software. Link to w i d e image.
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i285/wallingmj/teton/tetonpano.jpg

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
gnurider1080 said:
Nope. My point was even at 20k, if you're acclimated, you may not get as many symptoms as at 10k if you come up to that altitude quickly.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
nice shots! :thumb:

that's one lean looking bear...

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Toshi said:
nice shots! :thumb:

that's one lean looking bear...
It looks like it was its first year away from momma bear. It probably won't survive the winter. We had dropped our packs beside the trail to walk up to a higher elevation for a better view. We saw that little guy heading towards our stuff which included food not secured inside the bear canisters so we ran at full speed to secure the packs. The little guy saw 4 people basically charging toward him and he sprinted off. Bears can run fast, he covered the same ground in a few minutes that took me half an hour.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Didn't they name them mountains after boobies? That's cool....

And stop scarin bears you mean %$#*>~@.:monkey:

SkaredShtles said:
Not only is every person different, but you can go up to 10K one day and be perfectly fine and go three weeks later and get hit by AMS.
Air is so overrated...

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
renorider40 said:
That second picture confuses the hell out of me. I have no idea whats going on or what is what.
The picture is ust a reflection in some very still water. The rock and grass is on the shore of the lake.