Quantcast

Teutenberg Takes Merco Crit win for HTC's Second win of the Day

Oct 20, 2009
<p>Ina-Yoko Teutenberg won the stage three criterium of the Merco Classic on Saturday after a quick recovery from a crash with eleven laps to go. Amanda Miller led the group for most of the race, while Stacher and Teutenberg manned the bunch against the nine women from Peanut Butter&Co. </p><p>
</p><p>
"Amanda started off very strong from the beginning," says Teutenberg. "She set a hard pace and put me in position to win at the end."</p><p>
</p><p>
Miller held a break with two others for most of the first half making the Peanut Butter & Co team work to defend their yellow jersey. Teutenberg bridged at fifteen laps to go but eventually the whole group was reeled in. </p><p>
</p><p>
"Peanut Butter did a good job controlling, but toward the end I could tell they were getting tired," says Miller.</p><p>
</p><p>
Stacher attacked with nine laps to go, but also crashed at the hairpin turn preceding the sprint the finish line.</p><p>
</p><p>
"I came into the turn too hot and I was up front," says Stacher, "And when I went down I took another girl with me."</p><p>
</p><p>
In the final few laps, the group was all together after catching Emily Collins from Vanderkitten, who had a brief solo break. </p><p>
</p><p>
"It was a pretty long sprint," says Teutenberg. "Amanda set me up on the last turn, and I went wide and let two girls go on the inside, but I was able to get ahead in the sprint for the win."</p><p>
</p><p>
This marks the second victory of the day for HTC-Highroad, after John Degenkolb won the first stage in West Vlaanderen. The girls have one more day of racing in Merced with Miller holding the points jersey. Tomorrow's final stage is 120km among the famous almond tree fields of greater Merced. </p><p>
</p><p>
HTC-Highroad for Merced Classic: Ally Stacher (USA);Amanda Miller (USA); Ina-yoko Teutenberg (GER)</p>

More...