Votes: 19 70.4%
  • Loco Sucks

Votes: 3 11.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

nmpearson

Monkey
Dec 30, 2006
ridden in both for a good amount of time and i'm now only going to ride teva's.
the one thing i love about the teva's is how they still keep your foot planted to the pedal but they if you need to reposition your foot, you can. they are also way more comfortable, don't look like work boots and you can actually wear them around, water resistant, and cheaper.

'size

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2007
AZ
same - way more comfy than my impacts but a bit less sticky, closer to the shimano AM40's as far as grip goes.

Last edited:

staike

Monkey
May 19, 2011
Norway
Impacts are way too stiff for my liking.

I have Five Ten Barons. They are stiff but gives a little bit of flex which improves grip and you feel a lot more in contact with the pedals than with the fat and super stiff soles on the Impact/Karver. Barons also have the same sole as the Freerider shoes, so they offer great grip, but you are still able to tweak the foot around a bit if needed. The lacing and stitching on them are top notch, I don't have a single complaint on them. I've used them for a season and after a good wash they almost look brand new.

climbingbubba

Monkey
May 24, 2007
The two don't really compare well. The Impacts are really durable, stiff, sticky, and provide excellent protection for your foot. If you think they are too bulky then check out the Baron's, Freerider's, and the new Danny Macaskill's. All of those are comparable to the Teva Link's.

I personally would go with whichever ones fit you the best.

staike

Monkey
May 19, 2011
Norway
Yeah, I can add a little bit about that. Myself, I have a 9.5 US/42.5 EUR size foot which is pretty wide. I have always had problems finding regular shoes that is wide enough to be comfortable and the correct length at the same time, so I have often bought too long shoes. It was a big relief that the Baron's fit me well and I didn't have to buy a bigger size to get the right width.

A friend of me have a super narrow but long-ish foot (US 12) and he didn't like the fit of his Freeriders at all. He loved the performance (before the stitching got ripped apart, lol), but they just didn't fit his foot at all.

jasonvelocity

Monkey
Aug 26, 2008
Palmer Lake, CO
I have worn both the Freeriders and Tevas as casual shoes, and the Tevas are way more comfortable and have some support. I have not put the Tevas to the pedal yet so cannot comment on the stiffness. The Freeriders were too soft for downhill.

GiantRider

Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Nor. Ca. Santa Cruz ,Mang
I have the had Impacts for years and now I own a pair of the Teva Pinner's, the Teva is way more comfortable and conforms to the pedal much better than the 5.10. I will continue to use my impacts (I have the mid tops because of my bad ankles) for the DH stuff but wear my Tevas for all other riding, If Teva ever makes a mid or high top I will switch over to those as well. The 5.10 are always so stiff until your have worn them for awhile and even then it seems like it takes an hour or so of riding to get them to loosen up a bit.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
^ Why do you want the 5.10 to conform to the pedal?

If they don't slip off the pedal pins, what is the advantage?

I've never had a problem with comfort in 5.10 Impacts for bike riding.

Konabumm

Konaboner
Jun 13, 2003
Hollywood, Maryland, United States
^ Why do you want the 5.10 to conform to the pedal?

If they don't slip off the pedal pins, what is the advantage?

I've never had a problem with comfort in 5.10 Impacts for bike riding.
well for me they just flat out hurt my feet. After hours of riding I can't wait to take them off - so if I can find something with the same grip and less pain I'm on it.

RMboy

Monkey
Dec 1, 2006
England the Great...
Just got my set of Teva shoes. I have to say I am very impressed. Firstly mental colours, but hey thats cool :-). Secondly they are good quality from what i can see and seemed to have thought of everything, even suff like reversing the tread on the sole to aid in walking down a track (could be a gimic but shows thinking)

Only had 1 ride on them so i can only tell you how they felt (cant say about durability yet) They are good fit for a 12, hold the pedal well, but allows re positioning if you feel the need. I find heel has good suport and foot is held well. i was riding in wet so they had mud caked on. So if they griped well in this, im looking forward to summer :-)

I think 5.10 make a good shoe. but firstly they are a pedofile shoe. SO ugly. :-). But ignoring that the rest of them is great. I jsut dont like to be glued on so much... I dont know why just me. Other than that you can fault them

SO its a real toss up.... Teva good grip and comfort. 5.10 crazy grip ugly and comfortable :-)

amishmatt

Turbo Monkey
Sep 21, 2005
Lancaster, PA
I had a chance to demo the Links at Ray's earlier this year, and they are far and away more comfortable than my Impacts. The Links actually have arch and foot support, and like others have mentioned, they grip, but still allow for small adjustments without lifting your foot. They'll be my next shoe purchase.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
a friend mentioned that the links are pretty soft in the mid-sole... so it will probably pedal like a regular skate shoe, fwiw.

'size

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2007
AZ
a friend mentioned that the links are pretty soft in the mid-sole... so it will probably pedal like a regular skate shoe, fwiw.
my links are nowhere near as soft as a typical skate shoe. i get no foot fatigue like i have with every other skate shoe i've tried to ride in with a soft sole.