Quantcast

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
You're an idiot, I got 4000$ from the insurance company cause some one else totaled my car, I bought the new one for 4500$, that's 500$ out of pocket I spent on my new car. I also did this before I knew book prices were double. Now unless you're psychic you can stop being an asshole and a retard
No - YOU'RE an idiot. You realize you could have forgone the car and used that $4K on school, right? :rolleyes:

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
Mooshu - I paid close to $1500/year in books. If you were smart, you would only buy the buys as you need them. Dollar cost average the cost throughout the semester. I used my loans to pay most of my cost of living expenses. My folks paid for my schooling, but that was $2500/semester. I covered pretty much everything else. I also had three jobs: 1) bike shop to pay bills, 2) working in the sorority - free meals, 3) bouncing to pay for my entertainment.
I still graduated with something like $25k in debt. That was in 2003, and I have paid down all of that except $2850 which is at a 4.2% fixed rate govt loan, so my interest is tax deductible.
We gone through this before. I have zero sympathy for you. Quit bitching about it, and work harder.
Oh, and I managed to survive without a car for 5 years. You can figure it out too. Make time to get around via bike and BART.
YOUR FOLKS PAID FOR YOUR SCHOOLING, that's 48K over 4 years in tuition at a UC provided the prices don't increase. Pay the rents back for that and continue to be an ass please.....

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
You're an idiot, I got 4000$ from the insurance company cause some one else totaled my car, I bought the new one for 4500$, that's 500$ out of pocket I spent on my new car. I also did this before I knew book prices were double. Now unless you're psychic you can stop being an asshole and a retard
So you *have* $4500 into a car and you're still bitching and moaning about not having money. Happy? Most people I knew as a freshman and sophomore didn't have cars while at school. Insurance, parking fees, gas etc were far too expensive for people working 30-35 hours per week for food and living expenses, plus miscellaneous college costs, plus books, etc.

And the price of books hasn't "doubled", it's gone up slightly faster than inflation. In 1994 books were about $250/semester, which means it's gone up a whopping 8% per year since then. Like I said before, WELCOME TO REAL LIFE!

(I guess I should be happy you used "you're" and "an asshole" and "a retard" correctly?)

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
So you *have* $4500 into a car and you're still bitching and moaning about not having money. Happy? Most people I knew as a freshman and sophomore didn't have cars while at school. Insurance, parking fees, gas etc were far too expensive for people working 30-35 hours per week for food and living expenses, plus miscellaneous college costs, plus books, etc.

And the price of books hasn't "doubled", it's gone up slightly faster than inflation. In 1994 books were about $250/semester, which means it's gone up a whopping 8% per year since then. Like I said before, WELCOME TO REAL LIFE!

(I guess I should be happy you used "you're" and "an asshole" and "a retard" correctly?)
Yea I have 4500$ into my car. 4500$ plus gas an insurance is still far cheaper than paying for rent and electricity and food and things like that. I still live with the parents and am going to probably continue to till I graduate.

Don't forget that the income for the average American has remained stagnant for the last several years. There's more factors to cost than just inflation, basic economics fool. Now can we please stop playing the "bend facts to sound like I know what I'm talking about"

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
YOUR FOLKS PAID FOR YOUR SCHOOLING, that's 48K over 4 years in tuition at a UC provided the prices don't increase. Pay the rents back for that and continue to be an ass please.....
Simple math:
$2500 x 2 (for 2 semesters/year) = $5,000

$5000 x 4 (for 4 years of college) = $20,000

Secondary thought... If you plan on spending ~$60k on college (including books), do you really feel that you will be able to make back that much due to your education?

I would figure a major part of your education would be something as simple as basic English, as Dante was noting.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Can I get a count on how many times Mooshu has used the phrase 'fool', while not describing an actual fool? Oh, and the slanders are pretty good too. You will undoubtedly make a wonderful role model for the students that you will theoretically be teaching (if we can call it that).

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
Simple math:
$2500 x 2 (for 2 semesters/year) = $5,000

$5000 x 4 (for 4 years of college) = $20,000

Secondary thought... If you plan on spending ~$60k on college (including books), do you really feel that you will be able to make back that much due to your education?

I would figure a major part of your education would be something as simple as basic English, as Dante was noting.
Looks like you went to a school outside of CA dude.....

It's probably going to end up being more, as I want to get a masters. Yes I do, I plan on teaching, and even in the worst paying district in the bay area (the one I grew up going to!) I'm still looking at 80K a year once tenured, plus benefits. A high paying district in a rich area will pay well over 100K

I'm working on the English, if I take the time to proof read and edit on here like I do on my papers things would look allot better. I simply don't care enough. That being said I still suck at English, but I have a tutor 2 hours a week, and spend probably an hour and a half a day on writing. I probably shouldn't have passed English in high school, but some how I did, and now I'm having to suffer for it. It was a combination of me not being the best student in high school, and the fact that the standards were far to low

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
Can I get a count on how many times Mooshu has used the phrase 'fool', while not describing an actual fool? Oh, and the slanders are pretty good too. You will undoubtedly make a wonderful role model for the students that you will theoretically be teaching (if we can call it that).
fool, I spent 12 weeks with 6-8th graders at an overnight camp.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I don't think I really need to say anymore to make any kind of a point, as you do a great job making it for me...

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
Yea I have 4500$ into my car. 4500$ plus gas an insurance is still far cheaper than paying for rent and electricity and food and things like that. I still live with the parents and am going to probably continue to till I graduate.

Don't forget that the income for the average American has remained stagnant for the last several years. There's more factors to cost than just inflation, basic economics fool. Now can we please stop playing the "bend facts to sound like I know what I'm talking about"

CastleMaster

Monkey
Jan 11, 2010
Upper Newport Bay
And then...

Mooshu, your parents are paying your rent. That is, unless you plan on paying them back.:clue:

(Thanks for starting this gem of a thread though...:thumb:)

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Thank you Castle.

Mooshu - Money is fungible. Whether they pay rent or for school, you are getting support. My rent and bills were ~$1300/month * 12 (as I stayed all year) = $15,600 per year. $15,600 * 4 years = $62,400. That's a touch more than your $48k output.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
This is why I want the Department of Education dismantled. Look at the geniuses they are producing.

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
drop out. school is really pointless unless you are getting an engineering degree.

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
Thank you Castle.

Mooshu - Money is fungible. Whether they pay rent or for school, you are getting support. My rent and bills were ~$1300/month * 12 (as I stayed all year) = $15,600 per year. $15,600 * 4 years = $62,400. That's a touch more than your $48k output.
My parents own the house, I don't use anywhere NEAR 1300 a month living at home dude. I'm getting support, but not nearly that much.

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
drop out. school is really pointless unless you are getting an engineering degree.
I did the best networking of my life in college and probably wouldn't have the job I do today without how much partying I did there.

It's not always the degree that helps you, but the experience you have and the people you meet.

Red Rabbit

Picky Pooper
Jan 27, 2007
Colorado
I'm so glad the Air Force is paying for college. The only book I've purchased this semester is for Intro to Programming. I regret that purchase because I use this thing called the "Internet" as a reference. Text books are overrated. Google, Wikipedia, Wolfram alpha, bit torrent, and various on line forums > textbooks.

I gave one of my classmates a couple bucks to copy a couple chapters out of a text once.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
My wife just signed up for a single class in business....Figuring if she wants to hit up the full degree...... 40 bucks for the class..... 6 bills for required books for a single class. We got the price down to 385 by getting most on Ebay.

Book prices are friggin rediculous, its one thing I can agree on with Mooshoo

DHracer1067

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2003
somewhere really ****ty
ha ha, I feel bad for you. I'm basically getting paid to go to school. They give me about $2400 a semester in financial aid and tuition was less than 800 and the 2 books and 2 online programs I needed were a bit over 300. So I just spent the rest on a nice new laptop and some bike parts. Sounds fair to me, no? And I still got some left over for beer money.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
I would definitely go to the classes as many times as possible without buying the books. If you get to a point in the class where you can't get by without it, then go buy it. I hate to repeat myself, but I found that for most classes it is easy to get by without the books.

I mean are you really trying to learn something or just going for the piece of paper at the end?