Quantcast

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
I thought they were bad a couple years ago, but the prices have literally doubled. 250$ french book, 180$ econ book, 170$ on my criminal justice book, and 210$ on my English book. I just seriously had to pony up more than 200$ a book. I couldn't buy any used books cause they were either new editions or had online codes that negated the savings from buying used. I just dropped more than 800$ on textbooks, that was the money I had set aside for books, AND the money I had set aside for a 36 for my blur LT

Edit, my criminal justice book is also bound with 3 rings, it isn't even actually bound

Last edited:

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
library reserve is your friend. don't buy books unless they are for classes in your major and will be of use to you in the future.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
The trick is knowing which classes you can get by without a book. Show up everyday and do the homework... get the grades. I pulled a 3.0 one semester with no books.

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
The trick is knowing which classes you can get by without a book. Show up everyday and do the homework... get the grades. I pulled a 3.0 one semester with no books.
Yea but when you're at a school where budget cuts have taken a school from 25000 full time students to 15000 it's hard to get classes. Not to mention enrollment being up. I'm lucky to have a full load with classes that will actually help my major

chuffer

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2004
McMinnville, OR
Yea but when you're at a school where budget cuts have taken a school from 25000 full time students to 15000 it's hard to get classes. Not to mention enrollment being up. I'm lucky to have a full load with classes that will actually help my major
I must be really drunk, because i dont understand how a school can go from 25000 to 15000 full time students and have the enrollment go up at the same time.

EDIT: unless, of course, part time enrollment went up by 10000+, which seems unlikely.

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
I must be really drunk, because i dont understand how a school can go from 25000 to 15000 full time students and have the enrollment go up at the same time.

EDIT: unless, of course, part time enrollment went up by 10000+, which seems unlikely.
I think he means there is only room for 15000 kids now instead of 25000 pre budget cuts. so more people, less spaces.

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
American schools are really bad for that. Where I went, they were very good about keeping the same EDITION of the same book around for several years so that entire textbooks were not obsolete after a few months. Like out math book. It was good for all four years. And the guys 1 year ahead of me? SAME edition of the same book. The guys a year behind? SAME edition of the same book.

Most of the time all they do from one edition to another is change the photo on the cover.

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
Or Amazon text books if you want a hard copy. I'm going back to school in the fall and bought a used text book off of Amazon for $65 including shipping. My college book store listed it as $155 used. You can search via the ISBN #.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
when i was in college, some of my textbooks conveniently came with a digital copy on CD. bought book, copied cd, reshrunk wrap the whole job (one of the perks of being a package engineer - having access to these kinds of materials) returned book for a full refund.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
The "new addition" is 99% the same as the old one. Buy the cheapest one you can find. Also look for international editions if possible, they'll run you 1/4 of what a new one will cost.

Most actual assignments are given out in class, so it's not like you need to turn to page whatever to find the homework.

Do readings in the library, pay nothing for textbooks (helpful for lots of small books, although other people will also be trying the same thing).

Buying used is great if the person who had it before you was smart and highlighted all of the important bits. Suddenly you only have to read 1/4 of what's in the book.

Matchew

Monkey
May 26, 2006
NH / Mass (ugh)
If you don't want to keep them, rent them from here:
http://www.chegg.com

I've had nothing but great experience with them for the last 2 years. I keep the box they ship the book(s) in, and they provide you with a free shipping label for when its time to return them. Saved me lots o dough to waste on adult beverages:thumb:

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
The "new addition" is 99% the same as the old one. Buy the cheapest one you can find. Also look for international editions if possible, they'll run you 1/4 of what a new one will cost.

Most actual assignments are given out in class, so it's not like you need to turn to page whatever to find the homework.

Do readings in the library, pay nothing for textbooks (helpful for lots of small books, although other people will also be trying the same thing).

Buying used is great if the person who had it before you was smart and highlighted all of the important bits. Suddenly you only have to read 1/4 of what's in the book.
I know the old editions are 99% the same, most of my classes need work books, so you end up having to buy a used book, and a work book. the cost becomes roughly the same, as well it's hard to order books online when the teacher want's you to do a bunch of homework for the second day of class

If you don't want to keep them, rent them from here:
http://www.chegg.com

I've had nothing but great experience with them for the last 2 years. I keep the box they ship the book(s) in, and they provide you with a free shipping label for when its time to return them. Saved me lots o dough to waste on adult beverages:thumb:
I've found that when I buy the books and resell them I end up spending about as much as on chegg, as well I write ALL OVER my text books, i don't take notes. I go nuts with a high lighter

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
Whaaaa..... It's the cost of education. Deal with it.
What did tuition cost when you were in school, what did books cost, how available were student loans. That's right dude STFU, the cost of education has been SKYROCKETING and you know it. These text book companies are now for profit and have doubled there prices in the last 2 years. That's not the cost of education, that strait robbery dude.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
What did tuition cost when you were in school, what did books cost, how available were student loans. That's right dude STFU, the cost of education has been SKYROCKETING and you know it. These text book companies are now for profit and have doubled there prices in the last 2 years. That's not the cost of education, that strait robbery dude.
stick it to 'em any way you can. scan the book as a PDF and pass it out to your classmates then return the book.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
Dude, seriously, you should be treating Joker like your mentor: Pay big bucks for education, sell your soul to the financial world, make lots of money and bitch about having to pay taxes.

How is this hard to understand? :confused:

loco-gringo

Crusading Clamp Monkey
Sep 27, 2006
Deep in the heart of TEXAS
I guess publishing companies gave books away when stoney went to school. :think:

I haven't looked into education, but you might have noticed that the current administration has social programs running out of our asses.

Perhaps you should have saved for school, instead of some stupid ass boosting of a clapped out diesel pick up.

Suck it up, princess!!!

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
I guess publishing companies gave books away when stoney went to school. :think:

I haven't looked into education, but you might have noticed that the current administration has social programs running out of our asses.

Perhaps you should have saved for school, instead of some stupid ass boosting of a clapped out diesel pick up.

Suck it up, princess!!!
Social programs out the ass???? not for education dude, pink slips LEFT AND RIGHT, especially in CA.

I dropped 500$ out of pocket on that truck after what insurance gave me for the last one, and didn't end up putting any money into it besides tires and a tune.......

loco-gringo

Crusading Clamp Monkey
Sep 27, 2006
Deep in the heart of TEXAS
Social programs out the ass???? not for education dude, pink slips LEFT AND RIGHT, especially in CA.

I dropped 500$ out of pocket on that truck after what insurance gave me for the last one, and didn't end up putting any money into it besides tires and a tune.......
Maybe you should move to a state that isn't bankrupt. :think:

$500 is more than half what the books cost. Your point is???

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
Maybe you should move to a state that isn't bankrupt. :think:

$500 is more than half what the books cost. Your point is???
Yea, cause saving for UC, and going to CC is hard for me to pay for. I'm totally ganna have the cash to move out, support myself, AND pay out of stat tuition for a year, you're SOOOO much smarter than me dude

I needed a car dude, I spent 4500$ don't even try and play like I'm wasting money on my car. You're just being a dick at the point

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
American schools are really bad for that. Where I went, they were very good about keeping the same EDITION of the same book around for several years so that entire textbooks were not obsolete after a few months. Like out math book. It was good for all four years. And the guys 1 year ahead of me? SAME edition of the same book. The guys a year behind? SAME edition of the same book.

That's your gamble. Math changes all the time.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
Unless the previous student did poorly in the class...
Sorry, should've emphasized the "was smart" part of my first post.

Yea, cause saving for UC, and going to CC is hard for me to pay for. I'm totally ganna have the cash to move out, support myself, AND pay out of stat tuition for a year, you're SOOOO much smarter than me dude

I needed a car dude, I spent 4500$ don't even try and play like I'm wasting money on my car. You're just being a dick at the point
Wait, seriously? You just spent $5,000 combined on a car and a truck, and now you're complaining about not having money for school books? It's called "REAL LIFE", and things cost money. The sooner you come to realize that, the easier it's going to be...

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Mooshu - I paid close to $1500/year in books. If you were smart, you would only buy the buys as you need them. Dollar cost average the cost throughout the semester. I used my loans to pay most of my cost of living expenses. My folks paid for my schooling, but that was $2500/semester. I covered pretty much everything else. I also had three jobs: 1) bike shop to pay bills, 2) working in the sorority - free meals, 3) bouncing to pay for my entertainment.
I still graduated with something like $25k in debt. That was in 2003, and I have paid down all of that except $2850 which is at a 4.2% fixed rate govt loan, so my interest is tax deductible.
We gone through this before. I have zero sympathy for you. Quit bitching about it, and work harder.
Oh, and I managed to survive without a car for 5 years. You can figure it out too. Make time to get around via bike and BART.

Last edited:

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
Wait, seriously? You just spent $5,000 combined on a car and a truck, and now you're complaining about not having money for school books? It's called "REAL LIFE", and things cost money. The sooner you come to realize that, the easier it's going to be...
You're an idiot, I got 4000$ from the insurance company cause some one else totaled my car, I bought the new one for 4500$, that's 500$ out of pocket I spent on my new car. I also did this before I knew book prices were double. Now unless you're psychic you can stop being an asshole and a retard