Quantcast

texting and driving, Bad

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
A grim FYI. My meth head first cousin almost murdered all 3 of her children 2 months ago because she was texting. She isn't even supposed to have them (signed away rights), but of course someone let her.

She drove through a construction zone, hitting 3 cars. Facial surgery, broken bones, hospitalization and not one wearing a seatbelt for all 3 little ones. But of course, crack face was unharmed.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I want to punch every single person I see who is typing on their phone and driving at the same time.

You cannot possibly be driving attentively if you are staring at a tiny screen, reading and typing.

It's like saying, "I drive fine when I'm drunk."

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
I want to punch every single person I see who is typing on their phone and driving at the same time.

You cannot possibly be driving attentively if you are staring at a tiny screen, reading and typing.

but I do drive fine when I am drunk

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA

It takes no more attention that fiddling with an MP3 player. Most new cars come equipped with auxiliary jacks, yea?

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
A grim FYI. My meth head first cousin almost murdered all 3 of her children 2 months ago because she was texting. She isn't even supposed to have them (signed away rights), but of course someone let her.

She drove through a construction zone, hitting 3 cars. Facial surgery, broken bones, hospitalization and not one wearing a seatbelt for all 3 little ones. But of course, crack face was unharmed.
Bitch about it is that the drivers in DUIs and D-whileoncrack are often unhurt...its always the innocent type kids and bystander types that get killed or worse.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now

do you answer your phone when you are driving? cause thats in the same league/violation as texting and driving is.

i text and drive all the time. i only look at the screen to read the text. its not like im surfing the web

and no, its not like drunk driving

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
I have been guilty of sending one or two word texts or emails will driving on my way home from work

That said, there are no other cars on the highway on my drive home.....seriously I encounter maybe a dozen cars during 20 mins on the highway. and it's all farmland.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
I have been guilty of sending one or two word texts or emails will driving on my way home from work

That said, there are no other cars on the highway on my drive home.....seriously I encounter maybe a dozen cars during 20 mins on the highway. and it's all farmland.
You're on your phone typing this message right now on your drive into work aren't you?

Prettym1k3

Turbo Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
In your pants
Saw a 3 car stack on Highway 85 last night around 6:45pm. HAD to be a texter because it must have only happened about 2 minutes before I drove by and, well, let's be honest... the girl in the front who probably wasn't paying attention just looked like a text-and-drive kinda' girl.

Yes, I'm making judgment. Yes, I'm right. No, I don't care.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
do you answer your phone when you are driving? cause thats in the same league/violation as texting and driving is.

i text and drive all the time. i only look at the screen to read the text. its not like im surfing the web

I rarely text and drive, and just "K" responses, but I realize I am way more distracted than talking on the phone. I never need to look at the phone with a call, but at some point with texting I change my visual focus from 40 feet in front of me to 2 feet.

Like most impaired situations, if there is no other bad drivers on the road, you can drive almost as poorly as you wish, and there should be no problem.

But if there is a totally unexpected situation and you are looking down at your phone, well, you know what happens next.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
I rarely text and drive, and just "K" responses, but I realize I am way more distracted than talking on the phone. I never need to look at the phone with a call, but at some point with texting I change my visual focus from 40 feet in front of me to 2 feet.

Like most impaired situations, if there is no other bad drivers on the road, you can drive almost as poorly as you wish, and there should be no problem.

But if there is a totally unexpected situation and you are looking down at your phone, well, you know what happens next.
...you end up on Oprah apologizing for killing some prom queen.

Texting is about lame anyway, whether driving or not.

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
The type of phone also contributes a little too.....and iphone I'm guessing requires more concentration than say mine, (blackberry with a real, full keyboard that I can easily operate with one hand.

i of course do think that text and driving is a REALLY GREAT idea and should be done at every occasion, there are shades of grey...

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am

Do explain how texting while driving is less dangerous then drunk driving. I would love to hear you reasoning.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Do explain how texting while driving is less dangerous then drunk driving. I would love to hear you reasoning.
cause when i text, i can still walk a straight line, recite the alphabet backwards, touch my finger to my nose and take 9 steps and turn around. :rolleyes:

oh and when you get pulled over for texting, you dont go to jail and or lose your license like drunk driving leads to.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
cause when i text, i can still walk a straight line, recite the alphabet backwards, touch my finger to my nose and take 9 steps and turn around. :rolleyes:

oh and when you get pulled over for texting, you dont go to jail and or lose your license like drunk driving leads to.
I'm guessing your ability to pay attention to the road is on par with your reading comprehension. You've explained the difference in consequences of being stopped for texting vs DUI but not how texting while driving is less dangerous then drunk driving. If you cannot come up with a reasonable argument, then surely you can concede that texting is just as dangerous as driving drunk.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.

Congratulations on having the stupidest post of the month. :disgust1: Trail lawyers everywhere thank you.

This infographic covers a hot topic, texting while driving. As mobile phones have become an everyday accessory (and practical necessity), their capabilities have gone beyond calling to allow for texting, emailing and internet surfing. Have you ever sat at a stoplight and counted the number of drivers who are talking on the phone? Now imagine how many are taking their eyes off the road to text – and how many of them are inexperienced teen drivers. The statistics show that texting is more dangerous than talking on the phone and even drunk driving, as the infographic illustrates. Yet so many people text while driving and assume it isn’t as dangerous. Laws are coming up faster than a police cruiser in the rearview mirror to stop texting behind the wheel and it is a good thing; we can’t sit by idly while careless drivers continue to cause car accidents because they couldn’t put down their mobile phones.
Hopefully the only person you hurt will be yourself.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Congratulations on having the stupidest post of the month. :disgust1: Trail lawyers everywhere thank you.

Hopefully the only person you hurt will be yourself.
so youve never texted and or picked up your phone while driving huh
edit:oh, its also not illegal in my state

Last edited:

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
so youve never texted and or picked up your phone while driving huh
Never having ever done something and having it be a good/smart idea, or arguing that it's not dangerous, are COMPLETELY different things.

Also, no, I don't talk on the phone while driving. As a rule. It doesn't mean I haven't done it, or won't ever do it again - it means I don't think it's generally a good idea. And I think texting is much worse than talking.

edit:oh, its also not illegal in my state
Oh. Okay. Must be fine, then. Its legal status in your state was the entire reasoning why I thought it was dangerous - but since it's legal, it must not be bad!

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
Never having ever done something and having it be a good/smart idea, or arguing that it's not dangerous, are COMPLETELY different things.
Don't you hate logical fallacies?

"In a tu quoque argument, the arguer points out that the opponent has actually done the thing he or she is arguing against, and so the opponent's argument shouldn't be listened to."

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Most of my text messages require me to look at a 2 inch screen for at least 1 second, and 100% of my visual attention is on my cell.

If I was keeping a 3 second gap between myself and the car in front of me, now it is 2 seconds (the minimum recommended safety gap). If it was a 2 second gap, now I am driving unsafely with an one second gap.

What does that mean? Well, during the rush hour, my commute is identical to the accident scene Strt6 visited, and the more distractions, the more likely I'm going to crash.

Maybe you got a wandering eye and you can look at your screen and keep your good one on the road.

I can keep it between the lines and send a text message, but that's not good driving. I'm worried about the schmuck who thinks he can text chat and drive, and I need to be paying attention for that idiot.

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
Most of my text messages require me to look at a 2 inch screen for at least 1 second, and 100% of my visual attention is on my cell.

If I was keeping a 3 second gap between myself and the car in front of me, now it is 2 seconds (the minimum recommended safety gap). If it was a 2 second gap, now I am driving unsafely with an one second gap.

What does that mean? Well, during the rush hour, my commute is identical to the accident scene Strt6 visited, and the more distractions, the more likely I'm going to crash.

Maybe you got a wandering eye and you can look at your screen and keep your good one on the road.

I can keep it between the lines and send a text message, but that's not good driving. I'm worried about the schmuck who thinks he can text chat and drive, and I need to be paying attention for that idiot.
but you're asian.