Quantcast

+++ TGMT, again +++

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
Rode last night and felt great. Local trail is hammered from horses and people riding when wet. The 'normal' route starts with a shitty 14-15% fireroad climb which I always avoid but I took it yesterday and was surprised how well I did, early season and all that. Stopped and had a beer then cooked a bunch of dinner and crashed early.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Well then. Here I was all excited that it was ride day and my boss drops a bomb on me. He wants to know what my demands would be for the company to send me to Vietnam for somewhere in the neighborhood of 4-6 weeks.

So monkeys, what should I demand? Provided I can sell the wife on the idea.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
:wave:Beautiful out. ride tonight. exhausted due to sick kid not sleeping.

HVAC quote for the house at lunch. it'll be the third. so far I like the first guy best, but of course he's the most expensive (by about $2k), though he has the better filter system (HEPA with VOC canister)

Do Monkeys have any opinion on quality of York furnacea and AC vs Carrier?

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Well then. Here I was all excited that it was ride day and my boss drops a bomb on me. He wants to know what my demands would be for the company to send me to Vietnam for somewhere in the neighborhood of 4-6 weeks.

all the hookers and blow you can handle?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle

The answer is always more paid time off. An outrageous but logical starting point would be all the waking hours you would be missing with the family/bike/bong shed.

And if this is in the middle of the summer ask for an air conditioned bubble.

Last edited:

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river

You should demand that you be allowed to go ride this evening. Fuck work.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
The answer is always more paid time off. An outrageous but logical starting point would be all the waking hours you would be missing with the family/bike/bong shed.

And if this is in the middle of the summer ask for an air conditioned bubble.
Business class flights.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

here's a standard list of what my dad got when he was working in china for similar and longer durations (he would typically be there 2-3 months at a time):

-per diem for food
-20%-30% premium on his salary for the time he was there (granted he was frequently there 2 months or longer)
-comp vacation time for the weekends he missed, and prorated time for weeks (i think he got like a day of vaca for every 5 dusiness days)
-he managed to get himself an entertainment budget ie money for the weekends to keep himself occupied
-the one time he was there for 4 months he wanted a company car, but then realized "driving in china sucks" so he worked it to basically have a driver when he needed it. otherwise he took the train
-full time translator (at least during business hours, he did sometimes arrange for having the translator when he would travel to other cities on weekends)

Spam for B&B run by a relative: https://heronhousehoian.com/our-story/

Today's setting up as a house chores day. Angry yellow eye in sky appeared for oh, fifteen minutes...

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Howdy all. I am back to work now that I have confirmed that I do not have strep. EbolAIDS is still possible, of course.

Denver drivers do not seem to understand the concept of a zipper merge. Instead they get over early like sheep. I channeled my East Coast background and forced the zipper at the merge point. Having a big, intimidating vehicle and not giving a fuck this morning helped and the other driver yielded unwillingly.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Man I had fun in Vietnam last year. Was in Hanoi and Saigon. It was in the winter and was dry.

CBC is crazy packed with people today.
if you get a chance, hunt down Tributary Brewing from kittery, Maine. One of their brewers, Jeff, used to work down here at victory and is an avid biker.

Also mike (occaisional poster here) is one of the head brewers at troegs and also a mountain biker.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
'Morning. I had a swim this morning, and it was a hard workout and swim coach kept telling me to go harder, so I was swimming hard and sucking wind and my arms and legs were burning (good thing I was in the water). Road ride after work...I'll see how close I can get to that 20 mph avg.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
if you get a chance, hunt down Tributary Brewing from kittery, Maine. One of their brewers, Jeff, used to work down here at victory and is an avid biker.
Must make myself an acquaintance of this place (never heard of it). Girl's parents have a place nearby in Maine, and drive through Kittery almost every weekend in the summer.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande

A generous stipend plus an additional 10 days of vacation to cover time lost with family. And some beer.

EDIT: already covered, meh I slept in until 8. Suckas.

Last edited:

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
for many companies that's standard procedure for flights over a certain duration
Many, not all. A shitty thing to forget.

And like the sage Cereal Midget said, more vacation. Either for the time you are there, or I'd shoot for an extra week added to your annual allowance. i.e. like a "raise" for vacation vs. a bonus of vacation.

Last edited:

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan

Also mike (occaisional poster here) is one of the head brewers at troegs and also a mountain biker.
I'll look out for Tributary. Troegs is a good customer of ours, we actually got in with them through RM. Haha

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Rode some fun new-to-me trails last night on my way to Windsor, CO to pick up a smoker that a buddy from OK bought. It's complicated. Up at 5:30 to meet co-workers for a ride this morning. Always makes the workday better to start with a bike ride. Attending a "guest bartender happy hour" after work, all proceeds go to the two local advocacy groups in the area. KAPLOW.

Rode last night and felt great. Local trail is hammered from horses and people riding when wet. The 'normal' route starts with a shitty 14-15% fireroad climb which I always avoid but I took it yesterday and was surprised how well I did, early season and all that. Stopped and had a beer then cooked a bunch of dinner and crashed early.
It's the 1x11 man... you don't have the pvssy-ass granny gear you used to run so it's forcing you to pedal. I've told you plenty you just need to pedal harder. I submit this as proof. Also how is Longhorn? You riding tomorrow for JWB's birthday? Oh dang... you might not know since you don't Bookface. Yeah. All White's with JWB at 4:30pm. Do it do it.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
It's the 1x11 man... you don't have the pvssy-ass granny gear you used to run so it's forcing you to pedal. I've told you plenty you just need to pedal harder. I submit this as proof. Also how is Longhorn? You riding tomorrow for JWB's birthday? Oh dang... you might not know since you don't Bookface. Yeah. All White's with JWB at 4:30pm. Do it do it.
Yes, the 'moar suffering' concept. I vaguely remember you mentioning that one or two hundred times. I rode NTM not Belcher, so I meant THAT fireroad. Late start and worried about conditions.
I didn't know about the JWBday thing. Whites should be :monkeydance: by tomorrow evening.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Yes, the 'moar suffering' concept. I vaguely remember you mentioning that one or two hundred times. I rode NTM not Belcher, so I meant THAT fireroad. Late start and worried about conditions.
I didn't know about the JWBday thing. Whites should be :monkeydance: by tomorrow evening.
THAT fireroad? Oh gross. #neveragain

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Due to all the freakin rain, I haven't ridden since Sunday. My knees are starting to ache. If the rain clears out later I might do a little street riding and even do some laps on top of a parking deck. Better than not riding at all. Pfft...rain.