Quantcast

Thank You, Doc and Terry at Superco Bikes

geoffulmer

Chimp
Apr 29, 2009
NY
Thank You, Doc and Terry at Superco Bikes.

This past February I wanted to test my shoulder at the Mob n’ Mojave Race, but I lacked a downhill bike. I’ve been friends with Doc and Terry for years, long before they moved out west. Terry has encouraged my racing since I met her at Platty when I was 11 or 12 years old. My Dad called her to see if they would be attending the race at Bootleg, luckily for me, Doc was in the process of building the second Superco Silencer. The frame was to be equipped with a Cane Creek Double Barrel shock, and I had just signed with Cane Creek for the ’09 season. So one thing lead to another and Superco offered me a chance to test the new bike and my shoulder.

I was blown away when I first saw the new bike. It was even more perfect in person than in the pictures that I had seen. I couldn’t believe I was lucky enough to get try the bike out. It felt like they were handing me the keys to an exotic sports car, and telling me if I could put the pedal to the metal. I was nervous about my shoulder and anxious to put my leg over the new bike design. I know Doc knows how to build and design perfect frames, and they know that I can ride a bike. The Silencer felt good in the parking lot and I felt comfortable right away. Doc had taken a lot of measurements ahead of time to make sure it would fit. The bike felt so nice and comfortable when I was doing the first cutties in the parking lot with it.

My first run, I noticed that things started to change at speed, kind of like a formula 1 race car. The bike was dead quiet, I guess that might be where the name came from. The high pivot ate up the rough stuff like it was nothing and, it turned. It really turned, I’ve struggled with tight high-speed turns, and this bike just went where I put it. I still don’t know how they did it, but this bike was so light, it felt and peddled like an xc bike. I was in love with this bike and they literally had to tear it away from me at the end of the weekend. We tried a few different shock settings, and it was amazing how the CCDB works. I learned a lot about shock settings and the things they do, from Doc.

Unfortunately being a prototype I was unable to keep it for the season. My quest was then to try to find something with similar geometry and weight, certainly not an easy task, but more on that soon.

Thank you, Doc and Terry, for the privilege of racing the best bike I have ever put my hands on and for restoring my confidence and getting me back on the right track to success.

www.ridesuperco.com

Check out Littermag.com Superco Features here

Last edited:

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
That is a sick bike Geoff and glad you liked it. I hope to see some out here on the W coast soon! So maybe I can lay my hands on one.

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
Geoff - you are quite articulate! That was a very well written mini-review of the Silencer. You are one lucky guy! Glad to hear the shoulder is feeling better - we all look forward to seeing you out on the circuit soon!

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Haha that edited pic with the antifreeze green background is ridiculous!

I still just wanna know when I'm gonna be able to get one, and how many more (thousands) of pennies I'm gonna have to save.