Quantcast

Thank you Team Wrongway!

Dreyzar

Chimp
Apr 6, 2004
Santa Cruz
Thanks TWW, you guys put on an awesome event! The best!

Originally posted by bushwacker
I was standing about 5 feet away from that guy when he landed. I was amazed he got up and finished, I felt like making him stay down, but who am I?
If we're thinking of the same guy (gray Answer jersey?) you were definately right in wanting to make him stay down. I don't know a whole lot, but I think he's still in intensive care. Internal bleeding, possible rupture; liver, spleen, not sure... definately a lot more serious than a concussion :(

ginmtb

Chimp
Apr 15, 2002
Originally posted by dhtahoe
WHEN I GO TO THIS LINK IT ONLY SHOWS 2003:confused:
Try hitting your refresh button. You probably have the 2003 results in your cache.

Mike

tenille

Chimp
Sep 9, 2003
purgatory
Originally posted by bushwacker
I was standing about 5 feet away from that guy when he landed. I was amazed he got up and finished, I felt like making him stay down, but who am I?
anyone hear if the kid is alright? i felt bad for his poor dad :( he definitely was looking a little distressed when his kid lost it. hopefully he's doing alright.

Thanks again TWW! that race was so much fun. i'd be happy to help out next year if you guys decide to put it on again. it was nice to see people running the race sort of relaxed and not stressed out about everything. thanks again. you guys are great!

ginmtb

Chimp
Apr 15, 2002
Originally posted by Dreyzar
Thanks TWW, you guys put on an awesome event! The best!

If we're thinking of the same guy (gray Answer jersey?) you were definately right in wanting to make him stay down. I don't know a whole lot, but I think he's still in intensive care. Internal bleeding, possible rupture; liver, spleen, not sure... definately a lot more serious than a concussion :(

Holy crap! That's not good. He was down for a long time (seemed several minutes). He got up though and rode to the finish. I had called for the ambulance a couple of times but then he got up. Hope he's okay. I'm thinking it must have been the Expert racer with the time of 5+ minutes. Dang, hate to hear that. If anyone hears more, please update us.

Thanks!

Mike

ginmtb

Chimp
Apr 15, 2002
Originally posted by ginmtb
Try hitting your refresh button. You probably have the 2003 results in your cache.

Mike

Anyone else having problems viewing the 2004 GGG results? I can't seem to re-create the problem noted above.

Mike

Monkey
Feb 28, 2002
Vail CO
Originally posted by East Bay Rich
I took all the results, pasted them into Excel, and sorted by time. Here's the text file. Unfortunately, the last two columns got jacked, so it's hard to read the team name.

all racers in order of time

-Rich
Cool way to look at it... thanks. 11th out of 208 is pretty good I guess.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Originally posted by Acadian
OMFG...that guy was a WACKO!!!! I laughed so hard when I saw him come down the first section...hahahahah
Dude, you wanna talk about wacko, I parked next to this guy in a blue subaru, kept moving his car 100000000 times to avoid door dings and would let anyone over 110lbs sit on his bike.;) ;) ;) ;)

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Originally posted by Brian HCM#1
Dude, you wanna talk about wacko, I parked next to this guy in a blue subaru, kept moving his car 100000000 times to avoid door dings and would let anyone over 110lbs sit on his bike.;) ;) ;) ;)
Let's wait for him to get at least 10 ft away from his bike (as if :rolleyes: ) and then key it. Or dull the finish with some steel wool.

D

Dingus McGee

Is that a DHO or Boxxer #1?

Supa Retro-Kook!

EDIT- Damn the old kook was faster than me last year.
I might be an older kook, though.

15 273 Lundquish, Stan 02:19.86 Fox/CW/LCR

Yo,
Thanks all for the kudos - it's really one of the COOLEST things for ALL of our volunteers to hear that so many folks had such a great time. Regarding the unhappy Pro, I'm still not sure who he was and I can't remember his name for the life of me - he's definitely not in the podium shot. And I know it wasn't Jimmy (6th). As Mike said, the guy was first pissed about not having the Pro payout down to 5th (now I don't know if he even got 5th?), and then later with me about us not spelling his name correctly even though we used computers. I told him how we stayed up the night before until 3am and transcribed all the stuff into the puters, and sometimes we have a hard time reading the handwritten entries - and my last name is Schlachter, and I'd be in a loony bin if I stressed every time it was misspelled or misspronounced (about every time someone has to spell it or read it out loud...)

One of the things he asked me while we were talking was something like "how would you feel if Jeremy McGrath told you that you did really well at a race, and then later you go to race and people can't even spell your name right?" I told him if Jeremy McGrath talked to me anything I'd think that was freakin' awesome... When I asked him if he at least had fun, he said that it wasn't about fun to him - it was about making a living, and now he had to go home to his wife and kids with no money. I was stunned... (I really believe he was serious with that). What do you say to that? I asked him how much it cost him to come to the event for food, gas, entry, etc., and compared that to the most he could take home - he said he could have still made a profit. Wow - now that's a perspective I wasn't prepaired for...

In hind sight he also said he was a plumber and an electrician. I just paid a plumber last week $125 an hour last week - of course, I was too flustered to think of that at the time... It bummed me to have someone so unhappy with our race, but at least he did the right thing when I asked him, and he did go and appologize to our volunteer that he chewed out. Anyhow, nuff said bout dat - hope he comes to peace with us and himself. The glass is half full man, not half empty. We're out racing bicycles as fast as we can while US Marines are getting shot and killed on the other side of the planet. (Ps - a friend of mine just got out of the Marines after spending a tour in Iraq in one of the invasion waves - his first DH race was this race, and he got 3rd place, right behind his brother in law who was also racing his first race - they both said that their hooked now :-) pretty cool).

Regarding the black outs in the parking lot - there were actually two of them. The only common denominator - Scrub was right there on the scene in both cases - coincedence? :P "The kid" who passed out - his name is Miles, and he's going to be fine. I'll include a note from his dad below - very cool, and a good lesson to anyone that's thinking of hosting a race (fortunately at the time I was talking with a park employee, and I had a State Park radio on me that she used to call in for help - besides that, all I really did was hang out with them while the ranger's came to assist). There was another guy who stacked twice on his way down - a big guy, 37 yo, who was a former MX Pro or something like that, according to one of his friends who was with him (a guy I know named Steve). He crossed the finish line on his own and dissapeared into the crowd (I tried to follow him and lost him). About an hour later (after the race had ended, but before the raffle) he apparently blacked out and fell out of his buddy's pickup and hit his head on the ground. The Ambulance was still there for that (thank god). Between the paramedics, myself, and the guy's buddies, we talked him into taking a ride in the Ambulance. The EMT's were pretty sure that he was simply totally dehydrated - so much so that just drinking water was too late to get him properly rehydrated (they hooked him immediately to an IV when he got in back of the wagon). Anyhow, I plan to try to find out what happened with him too - if any of you know him or of him, please let me know.

So here's the note from Miles' dad - makes me sound like the coolest thing since bike suspension and sliced bread, but again I really didn't do much:

>Date: Mon, 05 Apr 2004 06:03:10 -0700
>Subject: Miles Payton
>From: "Kenneth J Payton" >
>
>Folks,
>This message of thanks is especially given to Scott. I hope that is his name. He is the race director and founder of GGG. It was that gentleman who came through the crowd to help after my son, Miles, age 14 (birthday in July), collapsed in the dirt during the awards ceremony. Miles crashed hours earlier severly injuring his hip flexor, but managed a 16th place finish in the 18 and under category. I promised the Park Service paramedics that I would take Miles to the hospital for X-rays when we returned to Santa Cruz.
>I did. The dostor's initial concern that he might have fractured his
>pelvis was put to rest. Miles is fine, well, he's unable to walk unassisted but there are no broken bones.
>To Scott (god, I hope I got his name right, I was a bit numb with fear at the time) I say thank you for your concern. Many there are hardened to injury but you, sir, could still see a father's grief. Your concern for my boy I will always appreciate. Because of your kindness our day, odd as it may sound, ended on a noble high.
>Thank you, again.
Ken Payton

-S

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Glad to here the kid is okay:) I was there too when he collapsed and rushed to his side initially before park rangers showed up. I'll tell you it scared the living sh*t out of me seeing this poor kid go through that. Like I said I'm very glad to hear he's okay, I couldn't stop thinking about him on the way home hoping that all was well with him. I feel much better now knowing this.

duff-man

Chimp
Oct 2, 2001
Fresno, Ca.
LMAO, who in the hell gets worried about door dings on a Subaru:D

Dreyzar

Chimp
Apr 6, 2004
Santa Cruz
Originally posted by mtbhead
There was another guy who stacked twice on his way down - a big guy, 37 yo, who was a former MX Pro or something like that, according to one of his friends who was with him (a guy I know named Steve). He crossed the finish line on his own and dissapeared into the crowd (I tried to follow him and lost him). About an hour later (after the race had ended, but before the raffle) he apparently blacked out and fell out of his buddy's pickup and hit his head on the ground. The Ambulance was still there for that (thank god). Between the paramedics, myself, and the guy's buddies, we talked him into taking a ride in the Ambulance. The EMT's were pretty sure that he was simply totally dehydrated - so much so that just drinking water was too late to get him properly rehydrated (they hooked him immediately to an IV when he got in back of the wagon). Anyhow, I plan to try to find out what happened with him too - if any of you know him or of him, please let me know.
Yeah, that was George. He suffered internal injuries after stacking really hard in bottom section; trauma to the liver, spleen, kidneys, and some internal bleeding I think. He was released from intensive care earlier today and is recovering at home.

Wow - thanks for the update! Holy crap, that was a lot more serious than the EMT's thought at the time. Thank god he's doing better though - very cool to hear. If you're in touch with George, please pass on a huge thank you from me to him for being willing to take the ambulance ride. Sounds like that was a damn good decision.
-S

Originally posted by Dreyzar
Yeah, that was George. He suffered internal injuries after stacking really hard in bottom section; trauma to the liver, spleen, kidneys, and some internal bleeding I think. He was released from intensive care earlier today and is recovering at home.

Tyler

Chimp
Feb 20, 2003
He was telling my grandparents that he rode pro dirtbikes and he rides with travis pastrana and Bubba, ricky carmicheal and all those pros. He said he took 5th in the last race he entered. And he said he rode pro at this race? I kinda looked at him and was thinking what are you smoking.