Quantcast

Thanks, but no thanks..

J

JRB

So here is Norton's tech support in 72 hours. I submitted this last Monday to them. Here's their answer. I had already done this and it didn't work, but surprisingly enough, uninstalling this piece of crap "Go Back" from the machine did work. I love when they go to Google to get your answer when you email tech support. :mumble: How do they think I ended up knowing who to email, if I hadn't tried looking on the website already???

Hi John,

Welcome to Symantec Online Technical Support

I understand from your message that you get an MBR error.

John, this problem may be caused by an incompatible computer BIOS or the computer is not properly pointing to the Master Boot Record (MBR). To fix this issue, the MBR will have to be repaired using the Norton GoBack gb_prog.exe utility.

Please refer to the document below for further steps to resolve the issue.

Title: 'Cannot start Windows after installing GoBack'
Document ID: 2001101713193807
> Web URL: http://service1.symantec.com/Support/goback.nsf/docid/2001101713193807?Open&src=con_ols_nam

Please feel free to contact us for further assistance.

Regards,

Ashwin Padaki
Symantec Authorized Technical Support

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
I have never had good luck with any Norton product. It doesn't work well/right, bogs down the system, and can never really be uninstalled.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Norton doesn't have to be horrible. It depends on what you install. If you just click "Next" on each screen then yeah, it's going to be horrible. If you install only what you need, then it will be nicely mediocre. I ran it for years without issues.

I recently went with ClamWin and am doing nicely. I hear that AVG rocks as well.

I have always been of the opinion that Windows is not an OS for beginners (Despite what Microsoft would have us think). It can run well, and be very stable IF you install it right, and configure it well. Same with many applications... you have to know what you need, what you don't , and what's going to cause your other software to blow up. However, most people have no desire to be an IT tech just so they can surf the web.

Hell, I'd be willing to bet money that if you anti-windows guys tried out my systems you would be pleasantly surprised. You wouldn't switch, but you would be surprised at how well a Windows system can run.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Ciaran said:
If you install only what you need, then it will be nicely mediocre. I ran it for years without issues.
IMO, it's still a ridiculous resource hog.

When turning off your virus scanner results in a signficant increase in system performance, you've got a problem. Virus scanners don't have to be so intrusive - AVG is a great example.

loco, AVG is slow and intrusive? What the hell did you do to it? It literally consumes almost no system resources on my system :think:

Plus, Norton installs crap all over your system and registry.

J

JRB

I'm just saying AVG bogs my notebook down here. I didn't install it, so I don't know what all is up. I regret buying Norton this go round. I am not just pissin away my $70 ($50, if I send the $20 rebate off) to not run it. Without Go Back, all is ok for now. Besides - it gives me one more thing to gripe about. :thumb: :D

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
binary visions said:
IMO, it's still a ridiculous resource hog.

When turning off your virus scanner results in a signficant increase in system performance, you've got a problem. Virus scanners don't have to be so intrusive - AVG is a great example.

loco, AVG is slow and intrusive? What the hell did you do to it? It literally consumes almost no system resources on my system :think:

Plus, Norton installs crap all over your system and registry.
I agree. That's why I said it was nicely mediocre. It'sabsolutely horrible when you have all the extra crap installed. You will also notice that I do not run Norton anymore. :) And all my systems have at least a gig of ram in them, which helped it run better.

I think Loco may need to reblast the computer with a fresh copy of Win XP. Who knows what manufacturer crap is on there.