Quantcast

thanks everyone! Y'all rock!

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
SM, Cliffster, Triphop, Jinxx... I'm sorry, I'm tired, so I'm not gonna list everyone who's helped me here, but you know you did, so thanks!

between y'alls advice and motivation, I scored my first century today. Looking forward to my next one in two weeks.

you guys kick ass :thumb:

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Originally posted by Serial Midget
Thats it? No instant replay... :confused:
well, I took a bunch of pics, but you said not to post 'em ;)

Saddle Time: 7:15
Total Time: 8:45

I'll write up something later. Going hiking :D

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
A lot of breaks? No kidding! I was getting annoyed with my regular riding buddy, Tom, who wanted to stop at each aid station since they each had a different theme. Then we stopped at the top of the major climb where the support crew had a kick ass lunch waiting for us. And at one point, he stopped to take a picture. Concerned, I turn around and rode a mile back to see what was up. Later, we got seperated and waited for each other for a bit at different aid stations.

I hate stopping. Normally, if I stop for a while, I'm done for the day. I very much prefer to ride on. But yesterday showed me that I can indeed get moving again after many and/or extended stops. Not that I liked it.

I'm gonna limit my off saddle time at the Elephant Rock Century and am shooting for an under 7hr saddle time. With 20-30 mins off saddle. And I'm not waiting for anyone this time.

I thought of Cliffster around mile 25... look up at the mountains and thank G-d for the awesome place you got to ride in. And it was awesome. The main portion of the ride was flanked by two mountain ranges so it felt like we were in a fat massive valley.

I followed y'alls suggestion about eating a fair amount of breakfast so I had a can of V8, two bananas, two eggs, hashbrowns and toast. The first real climb didn't happen until mile 40 and I nearly puked twice during the next fifteen miles. There were some seriously steep extended segments during the climb... I haven't not spun in granny gear in months and was just struggling. Newer riders were walking, experienced riders with doubles were pounding.

Around mile 70, my exercise induced asthma kicked in -- which had been dormant for two years now. Either I've been building up my lungs and/or yesterday was especially cool and dry (which helps trigger it). As such, the last 30 miles sucked cuz I could only take shallow breaths or I'd start a coughing attack.

At mile 95 I was slowing down, then remembered a buddy yelling at me at last years mtb races... "finish strong, finish strong!" So I kicked it up and passed 5-6 people in the last few miles.

One very interesting thing... at multiple points, especiall the last 20 miles, my legs were on autopilot. No matter how tired I was, they just kept on moving. I noticed this at one point and felt detached from my legs. Psychologically, I was done for the day, but if I had to ride another 20-30 miles, my body would've done it easily. Well, not my lungs, but the rest of me.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Well that is pretty cool Opie - you'll be addicted to endurance and speed soon enough. You are right on the auto pilot - your brain wants to stop while your body still has a bit left.

It sounds as if your riding partner was a bit inconsiderate - I don't like to stop long enough for my muscles to cool down - really all that is required is one or two minutes at the water stations and maybe ten minutes for lunch.

:) :) :)

G-Cracker

Monkey
May 2, 2002
Tucson, beatch!
:thumb: Way to go! I have never done a century, but I did the MS150 last year on my mtb bike equipped with slicks. The buddy I was riding with kept falling behind and I spent the first 30 miles stopping and waiting for him.

Finnally, he said "just go... I'll see you tonight" so I went. I didn't see him again until we met for dinner. Next day, same thing.

He had the distinction to be the very last rider of over 2500 and as I was pushing his bike to load it onto the rack, I noticed how hard it was to push. I looked down, and sure enough... his front brakes were engaged. He road a 2-day 150 miles with his front calipers gripping his wheel!

He was so pissed at the bike shop that tuned up his bike before the race. I didn't say anything but felt like... "dude... you didnt' even CHECK to see if everything felt okay before riding??" I'm surprised he didn't blow out his knees.

Anway... good job... sorry for derailing the thread!

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Originally posted by Serial Midget
It sounds as if your riding partner was a bit inconsiderate...
I sure hope I didn't make him sound that way. He's a good friend and comes looking for me when I disappear -- cuz I have a habit of crashing on my mtb. And he only wanted to do the metric. He's done a number of centuries and tours and Saturday was a social day for him, but he rode with me nonetheless.
Originally posted by I Are Baboon
I'd love to do a century some day.
You should! :D
Originally posted by llkoolkeg
That's very cool. I can't imagine how bad my ass and back would hurt, though. :dead:
surprisingly, it wasn't that bad. A bit sore today, but going for an hour ride tonight to loosen stuff up.
Originally posted by G-Cracker
He road a 2-day 150 miles with his front calipers gripping his wheel!

He was so pissed at the bike shop that tuned up his bike before the race. I didn't say anything but felt like... "dude... you didnt' even CHECK to see if everything felt okay before riding??" I'm surprised he didn't blow out his knees.

Anway... good job... sorry for derailing the thread!
:eek: OMG, that's funny and sad all at once. How did he never know? Even a total newbie would wonder. Plus, wouldn't the brake pads just start to melt a bit and stink after a while?

G-Cracker

Monkey
May 2, 2002
Tucson, beatch!
Originally posted by LordOpie
OMG, that's funny and sad all at once. How did he never know? Even a total newbie would wonder. Plus, wouldn't the brake pads just start to melt a bit and stink after a while?
It was sad and funny. I guess he didn't smell the burning pads or anything, but he said he was wondering why 10 year old girls on their pink Wal-Mart bikes were passing him! LOL :D I felt so bad I just couldn't poke fun.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
I sure hope I didn't make him sound that way. He's a good friend and comes looking for me when I disappear -- cuz I have a habit of crashing on my mtb. And he only wanted to do the metric. He's done a number of centuries and tours and Saturday was a social day for him, but he rode with me nonetheless.
I have a hard time just riding along on a road bike - I always get competitive with someone. I think it's because going slow on a road bike is boring as hell and I am not much of a talker once I get rolling - I avoid social road rides like the plaque. :D

On the other hand... I'm very laid back on the mountian bike, I'm usually so happy to have someone to climb with that I'll wait all day for whomever I am riding with - just as long as they agree to wait for me on the downhill stuff.

I am jonesing for a fast road bike ride but I have a race on Sunday so I cannot pedal fast all week. :(

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Was this ride in Buena Vista. My younger brother and a friend of his did it.

cliffster5

In dog years I'm dead
Aug 23, 2001
Salinas, CA
Way to go Op! Sounds like you're already thinking about refining the off the bike routine for the next century. Did someone mention how addictive these rides get? It's funny, I kind of think of the day of the century as the celebration of all the training that I did to get ready for it. I ride so much alone that usually on a century I'll spend some time riding slowly enuf to talk with either a buddy or another friendly rider whom I just met. I also like taking some time alone on the century to hammer a bit and see exactly what kind of shape my training brought me to. I especially like climbing alone. It's such a mental thing, climbing. I usually compliment ppl on their bikes or say something encouraging while passing them or being passed by them on the climb. If possible, I also like getting into a serious group of about 5-6 fast riders for some pace line work (usually in the 22-25 mph range) at some point in the century. It's such a great feeling blowing ppl off the road as you and the pace line pass them and/or pick up folks who get into the spirit of the hammering and then arrive at the rest stop and everyone's giving each other high fives. Ah, I live for those century moments. Op, you did us fellow monkeys proud out there on your first century dude. Keep up the good work amigo.

cliffster5

In dog years I'm dead
Aug 23, 2001
Salinas, CA
LordOpie said:
Cliff's my bro!

Cliff, how long have you had Carl as your avatar?
That poor plum smuggler just doesn't get it Op. Us Jew types derive our deep brotherhood with each other when those older rat bastards of the tribe circumcise us. I also have a healthy affinity for anyone who survives the ignomious ritual of a Bar Mitvah. I don't know about your jewish mother Opie, but had I had access to one of dem ram horns at my bar mitvah I would have shoved that baby right up the old lady's keester.

PO turned me onto Teen Aqua Force. In some perverse way I can completely relate to Carl. I still kinda miss the guy in the doghouse tho.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
well, I did my second century yesterday and it was completely opposite of last time -- where I was done mentally, but could've kept riding for another couple hours.

And this time, I was so toasted physically that I nearly called for Sag at mile 90 -- this was before I found out that I had one mile of an evil climb left and then 10 miles of down or flat -- but I was totally fine mentally.

Simple problem was, I pushed too hard for the first 50 miles thinking that was the hardest part -- who knew "Roller Coaster Rd" was as vicious as the name implies -- miles 55-65, approx.

I was also counting on a 30+mph 10 mile downhill section, but had a nasty headwind the entire day, including this fast section that had me hammering into the wind and averaging 15mph.

I'm looking forward to a day when BOTH my mind and body are working well.