Quantcast

Thanks FCLinder, Brado and All Members of Upstate SORBA!

drkenan

anti-dentite
Oct 1, 2006
west asheville
...And anyone else that helped make the Paris Mtn race a success!

I know we all had a great time today and it was an incredible race vibe. Aside from a little carnage, I think everything went very smooth and the volunteers did an amazing job putting it all together.

You guys had a ton of great sponsors as well. I know the St Francis Sports Medicine people helped me out twice. You also can't beat free Red Bull. :thumb:

Last edited:

brado1

Monkey
Jan 2, 2008
G'Vegas SC
Thanks Kenan, a Big thanks to Big J for Shuttling the Bikes all day six + hours driving that big ass truck up and down the mountain - thanks brotha (many brews & brownies owed to you my friend), Thanks to everyone that made this thing happen, Volunteers, Riders, Spectators, mand who would have thought our first race would be this big? Very Cool - thanks to Darrin for Sacrificing his time, event equipment, and Trailed - He was re-ended and trashed the trailer turning into the Park . Thanks to Josh at Barley's for a kickass party the night before . Piedmont Park FD for their onsite help, Blair with St. Francis - Ty for the Rec Bus and Bree for Driving it all friggin' day, you rock girl. Robert Seth, can't wait to see you images! i only got to spend about 20min out on the course to snap some shots. Next time i'm riding and shooting! someone else can organize the circus.:lighten:

too many people to list by name, but thanks just the same, without your help this would have sucked.
again thanks to y'all for making this thang happen - hopefully see you next year!

Last edited:

cranberry

Monkey
Dec 30, 2005
Waaaay out there
Yes sir! I had a large time! You guys put on a hell of an event. Thanks to all the volunteers for the time they sacrificed so we could go and play in the woods

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina
I want to personally thank all the riders and volunteers that came out to the 1st Paris Mt. DH race. The event was a great success for us and Paris Mt State Park. We had over 80+ racers and about 4 to 5 times that in spectators up and down the Mountain. The vibe I got from the spectators was that they loved it and watching everyone. They were glad to see an event like this in the park that they could come out and watch. The Rangers were also happy how well the event went off and already want to meet to talk about a race next year and what we can do to make it better for all. This race was a learning curve for the park, as we really didn’t know how it was going to turn out. The shuttle was a little slow for most and we know next year what we need to do to make it better. As far as I know we only had one really bad crash, were someone had to be helped out. Garrit will be ok. I talked with him last night as he laughed about what happened with a sign of pain in his voice. The Doctors said he just needs to rest his shoulder for a while and will recover fine.

Once again thanks to all that came out and to all our great sponsors for helping us make this event happen. We should have all the Race Results up on the web site very soon for all to see, plus lots of pictures. I did talk with Robert from Kinetic Images and he said he got a lot of great Race Shots, so you will want to visit his site as well.
www.parismountaindh.com
www.kinetic-images.com
If anyone has any photos they want to share with us post them up here in this thread.

JohnBoy

Monkey
Jan 15, 2007
Was a fun weekend for sure. My first race, and Im already thinking about doing some others now. Once again thanks to all the volunteers and everyone involved :cheers:

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina
By the way if you didn't see it last night the event made the 10pm Fox 21 Carolina News. They showed some race footage of some of the racers at the top of the hill. It was great to see the local coverage to help the event and the sport out!!!!!! I Tivoed it so I will do my best to get the clip up to share with all soon.

Cecil

highrevs

Monkey
Oct 13, 2005
NC
Good Times! I had a blast in Greenville this past weekend. Big props to everyone who was involved with setting up and executing a well organized event. I have photos of everyone who raced and there are many that I’m waaaay stoked on. So give me a little time to get things sorted and I’ll post them up!

Thanks again for the efforts put towards a weekend of good racing in the South!

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Its very rare, racing Dh in the Southeast where major props needs to be given for the promotion and execution of a gravity event.
But this one deserves it!
This damn race ruled.
The course turned out just killer, and great cash and prizes to the winners.
I actually felt like I was participating in an ORGANIZED sport this weekend.:biggrin:
Thanks to everyone involved.
One thing worth mentioning here is that the Sorba group that put the race on here with ole Credit Linder is not made up of a bunch of DHers. Alot of those guys ride rigid 29ers, yet they were out there busting their butt to pull off a sick DH race. It just shows we are all in the same sport.
If you can't tell already, I had a great time racing this course.
Thanks again.

Metal Dude

Turbo Monkey
Apr 7, 2006
Smackdonough, GA
Yah, what Jeremy said! This race had a cool venue for sure this is a beautiful park.
There was that feel in the Pro competition we had years ago in the Cane Creek and Maxxis series when alot of good racers were showing up regularly.
I would really like to see more than anything a legit series come back to the southeast.
If we could all just get along and pull together to make the most of the what the South East has to offer
we could pull off a series just as good as Colorado and the Northeast has going on.
Just dream of it "A DH/DS five race series which used the best trails in the SE"
Is there anyway possible to get Sugar, Windrock, Bigfoot, 26 West, Paris Mt.,
Carter's Lake, and resurge Beech Mt. or some other killer spot for a true
DH/DS series.
Cecil has shown with some hard work that pulling some good prizes etc. can happen.
There are lots of us who could pull together our resources to really make a legit series without having to travel to Far away events to have good racing.
There shouldn't be enough politics or personal gain or loss to keep us from each contributing to make a SE series a comeback!
Sorry to derail the thread, but, that's how inspiring this race was to me!
Just makes me say "dang we could pool together and have races like this
closer to home"

airwalkrob

Monkey
Jul 20, 2005
Greenville EASTSIDE
Yah, what Jeremy said! This race had a cool venue for sure this is a beautiful park.
There was that feel in the Pro competition we had years ago in the Cane Creek and Maxxis series when alot of good racers were showing up regularly.
I would really like to see more than anything a legit series come back to the southeast.
If we could all just get along and pull together to make the most of the what the South East has to offer
we could pull off a series just as good as Colorado and the Northeast has going on.
Just dream of it "A DH/DS five race series which used the best trails in the SE"
Is there anyway possible to get Sugar, Windrock, Bigfoot, 26 West, Paris Mt.,
Carter's Lake, and resurge Beech Mt. or some other killer spot for a true
DH/DS series.
Cecil has shown with some hard work that pulling some good prizes etc. can happen.
There are lots of us who could pull together our resources to really make a legit series without having to travel to Far away events to have good racing.
There shouldn't be enough politics or personal gain or loss to keep us from each contributing to make a SE series a comeback!
Sorry to derail the thread, but, that's how inspiring this race was to me!
Just makes me say "dang we could pool together and have races like this
closer to home"
Very well said ...

BKQuill

Turbo Monkey
Dec 19, 2004
Rangers Lead the Way
I'm kicking myself in the arse for missing this race. I had it marked down for next weekend for some reason, and made plans to go to Columbia for the USC game. Well, after talking to a couple people via the phone while tailgating at the game, I was informed that the race was actually Sunday, I told the wife that we have to get up at early and hit the road. Everything was going to turn out just right. So after the game, a few of us decided to go out and have a drink! Mistake! So after rolling into the hotel around 4:00am, it was safe to say that getting up and driving home to get the bike and gear, then drive to Paris Mtn and race just wasn't going to happen.

Well, it sounds like it turned out to be an excellent race, great promotion, great turn out, great coverage. Sorry I missed it! Props to all those involved!

Cheers,
Brian

wiL

Monkey
Nov 28, 2006
Greenville, SC
Good idea. Sugar, WR, 26 West, Maybe Greg's, Paris Mountain etc, etc, plus...

Clemson would be down for hosting a race in late spring as part of a series. We would cut the course though so there wouldn't be a pedal section up top. Just a suggestion to add a venue.

cranberry

Monkey
Dec 30, 2005
Waaaay out there
For the record.....I always said I would NEVER race bikes. Racing ANYTHING for me turns it from fun into.....work. I start to take myself a little too seriously. I said I loved riding pedal bikes too much to race and let that happen. Well....Paris Mountain was my first race. I enjoyed the vibe so much that I will definitely be doing more of it.

brado1

Monkey
Jan 2, 2008
G'Vegas SC
Cecil...How about a 40+ class next year?
If only 3 raced it, I could podium!
Hell Yeah - Seniors Class w/ a Geritol swag toss :lighten: I'm In! next year i'm racing and not organizing! (i'll help plan,and some day of but this was too much work - need to ride!) both J & i were both registered but logistics took a little more than we expected. Just glad it turn out thanks for the positive feedback

here is an email we received earlier today - it was cool too that she sent it to the Park - They would be hard pressed to deny us the Park for an event after all of the favorable responses. Feel free to send the Park an email!

Hi guys,

I just wanted to thank you for yesterday's downhill race at Paris Mountain.
It was great to be able to race in my hometown and hear so many positive
compliments from visitors about the park and Greenville.

I really enjoyed the entire weekend and wanted you to know this was
probably the best run and most inclusive cycling event in which I've
participated over the past few years. No jerks, no egos, a lot of
encouragement - that's a big change over what I've come to expect from even
the smallest road races in the area. I was so motivated, I went on-line
last night and joined the local SORBA/IMBA chapter.

Unfortunately, I crashed in my first heat yesterday, and did not feel
confident about trying for a second, better time. This was my first
downhill race, I mostly do cross-country and road races, so I am not
disappointed with my performance and look forward to building my skills for
the next one.

Again, thanks for all your efforts and hard work. I would love to see you
back for another downhill next year. And also for a cross-country event
covering more of the trails, or a short track loop around North Lake!
There's lot of opportunity here, Liz

Liz McNamara​

The park email for those interested is: parismountain@scprt.com

:cheers:

Jun 4, 2008
Pisgah
Good times,The whole event seemed to go pretty smooth.Thanks to all the folks that came out and spent their day so we could race and get our rush on. Great group of people to hang out with all day.

Mulestar

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2007
in the dirt
Here are a bunch of photos posted on Flickr (not mine) still haven't uploaded anything i shot

but this guy has some nice shots

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cd_johnson/sets/

Nice! That guy got some solid sequences by the looks of it. Nice to pop on there and see the first 5 shots were of me, I usually feel like I dig through event photos and they mess mine up.

Also pretty funny to see that first set of photos in this thread. Thats my mom in the pink cheering for me in the left of the shot.

I thought the race was awesome as well. Very nice to see the turnout in the hometown.