Quantcast

thanksgiving dinner - stay in or go out?

Discussion in 'Beer & Food' started by narlus, Nov 23, 2005.

1. narlus

narlus Eastcoast Softcore
    Staff Member

Rep/Likes:
    17 / 21
    i guess because my grandmom and now mom always has hosted t-giving dinners, it's an odd thing to consider going out to a restaurant for thanksgiving. but apparently it's a pretty popular notion, and doesn't force the females to be kitchen-bound for prep/cooking/cleaning activities, so they are probably in favor.

what are people's usual mode, in or out?

Please register to disable this ad.

2. PonySoldier

PonySoldier Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 0
    In... and generally we alternate yearly hosting with my Mother-in-Law..

3. OGRipper

OGRipper Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    7 / 103
    My family and I are on opposite coasts so I don't have a big family get-together. It's usually a more casual thing with friends. In the last few years my girl and I have been taking trips so we end up eating out. In '03 we were in New Orleans and ate at a great old restaurant but I can't remember the name. Last year we stayed in a cottage in tomales bay (North of SF) and had a pretty decent meal at the Olema Inn. Works out that I get to ride from our place in the city to build up an appetite - about 60 miles or so through the redwoods and along the coast.

This year we are going back to Tomales and having dinner here:

http://www.mankas.com/mankas/home.html

If you check out the menu from last year you will see why we are pretty stoked. We have been once before (not on a holiday) and it was one of the best meals of my life. I am probably going to bring a bottle of Orion, a limited release by Sean Thackrey who lives and makes his wine nearby.:drool:

4. narlus

narlus Eastcoast Softcore
    Staff Member

Rep/Likes:
    17 / 21
  5. amydalayna

amydalayna Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 0
    because i have no family out here... we usually eat out while we are away for the long weekend, but celebrate with a big turkey the night before with our friends.
    which is what we'll be doing this year.
    tonight = making giant turkey with about 12 of our friends... celebrating in the new(ish) home
    tomorrow = start of a road trip. eating @ who knows.

As awful as it sounds, I like having the no-family Thanksgiving. Very stress-free.

6. TreeSaw

TreeSaw Mama Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    41 / 428
    Since we purchased our home about 6 years ago, I have been hosting both my family and my husband's family for Thanksgiving. We generally have between 12-18 relatives together and it's fun. I love to cook so I don't mind the preparation. In fact, I am about to begin baking the pies :D

7. OGRipper

OGRipper Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    7 / 103
    Hahaha, hey it's not a competition but yeah it should be good. When I was a kid I used to love having the big family dinners but my clan has been reduced and splintered and it just doesn't happen anymore. I'd be happy with a pizza if we could all get together. That said, it will be nice to drown my orhpan sorrows in delicious food and wine and let someone else clean up! :cool:

8. laura

laura DH_Laura

Rep/Likes:
    3 / 14
    i love cooking for thanksgiving. i go over to my grandmother's and help her cook. i would love to be in the position to have huge family dinners at my house, but that will never happen.

9. JRogers

JRogers talks too much

Rep/Likes:
    6 / 1
    Hmmm...I can't imagine eating out on thanksgiving. Just never did it, I guess. I prefer to eat a home cooked meal as my parents and grandparents annoy the crap out of me.