Quantcast

thanksgiving dinner - stay in or go out?

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
i guess because my grandmom and now mom always has hosted t-giving dinners, it's an odd thing to consider going out to a restaurant for thanksgiving. but apparently it's a pretty popular notion, and doesn't force the females to be kitchen-bound for prep/cooking/cleaning activities, so they are probably in favor.

what are people's usual mode, in or out?

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
My family and I are on opposite coasts so I don't have a big family get-together. It's usually a more casual thing with friends. In the last few years my girl and I have been taking trips so we end up eating out. In '03 we were in New Orleans and ate at a great old restaurant but I can't remember the name. Last year we stayed in a cottage in tomales bay (North of SF) and had a pretty decent meal at the Olema Inn. Works out that I get to ride from our place in the city to build up an appetite - about 60 miles or so through the redwoods and along the coast.

This year we are going back to Tomales and having dinner here:

http://www.mankas.com/mankas/home.html

If you check out the menu from last year you will see why we are pretty stoked. We have been once before (not on a holiday) and it was one of the best meals of my life. I am probably going to bring a bottle of Orion, a limited release by Sean Thackrey who lives and makes his wine nearby.:drool:

amydalayna

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
south lake tahoe, ca
because i have no family out here... we usually eat out while we are away for the long weekend, but celebrate with a big turkey the night before with our friends.
which is what we'll be doing this year.
tonight = making giant turkey with about 12 of our friends... celebrating in the new(ish) home
tomorrow = start of a road trip. eating @ who knows.

As awful as it sounds, I like having the no-family Thanksgiving. Very stress-free.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Since we purchased our home about 6 years ago, I have been hosting both my family and my husband's family for Thanksgiving. We generally have between 12-18 relatives together and it's fun. I love to cook so I don't mind the preparation. In fact, I am about to begin baking the pies :D

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
narlus said:
Hahaha, hey it's not a competition but yeah it should be good. When I was a kid I used to love having the big family dinners but my clan has been reduced and splintered and it just doesn't happen anymore. I'd be happy with a pizza if we could all get together. That said, it will be nice to drown my orhpan sorrows in delicious food and wine and let someone else clean up! :cool:

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
i love cooking for thanksgiving. i go over to my grandmother's and help her cook. i would love to be in the position to have huge family dinners at my house, but that will never happen.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
Hmmm...I can't imagine eating out on thanksgiving. Just never did it, I guess. I prefer to eat a home cooked meal as my parents and grandparents annoy the crap out of me.