Quantcast

That kind of morning.

stumpjump

Monkey
Sep 14, 2007
DC
So as I was cleaning my bike last night I found that one of the spokes had gone loose. Took it off to true the rim and looking at that I found a ding right along the seam of the rim. Doesn't look like is coming apart but I can see a little crack right. Its a mavix 729 so I know its stoopid strong, but does anyone have any experience with this.

This especially sucks because its only a month old.

BigHitComp04

Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
Morgantown, WV
Also have an almost brand new 729s, i just about folded a sidewall over in one spot. Paint is cracking and the rim is pretty much done. No bending it back without causing more harm than good. I consider myself pretty kind to rims as well, came off of riding some DT 5.1s for an entire season. I got the 729 cause i heard it was a tank and could be rough with it...apparently not eh?

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I would continue to ride it...but that's just me. Mavic rims are real strong and I would continue to have faith in it, especially if the wheel build is good and strong.

As for the sidewall, it's either ride it as is or bend it back and see what happens. Try heating it up with a torch or something to make the aluminum more pliable. Worst that happens is it cracks and you need a new one anyways.

OB1

Monkey
I know what u mean. I bent my cranks up this weekend. I almost bought new cranks last week. So I actually smiled after it happened. Post a close up pic of the rim crack for opinions on whether u should try to ride it.

wood booger

Monkey
Jul 16, 2008
the land of cheap beer
rock that wheel, just keep an eye on it.

I remember when most Sun and WTB rims came brand new w/ a nice little crack right where the rim was pinned/welded staright out of the box.

There is probably a plate welded inside the rim joint at the seam, it should be plenty strong. I rode a rim w/ a seam crack you could put a fingernail in for a whole season w/ no problems.