Quantcast

That maxxis tire they just came out with that no one seems to give a shlt about

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
I still have some time since I feel the next 2 weeks will be super busy and the next riding days will be probably July 8th and that is me being optimistic so I have time to decide. If I can manage to create some free time I will take the DHR and cut it.

Frisco

Chimp
Jan 16, 2002
Vancouver, WA
Great review! Thanks. Have you used them enough to notice if the side knobs hold up a bit better? I love the DHF and HR tires but always seem to rip the side knobs in a way where they become very flexy or feel like they are folding over on turns. I know that you can't expect longjevity from a soft compound DH tire but the speed at which these tires blow out the side knobs have made them difficult to justify the expense. I was very excited when I heard the DHRII has beefier side knobs.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I've used them quite a bit. Mostly in dry rocky terrain that eats up tires more than the riding in a more temperate climate. The 60d maxxpro ones I have barely show any wear.........just little stress marks at the base of the knobs. The 3C ones a little moreso.

I don't know.....rocky stuff eats soft tires, that's just the way it is. Long ago I started running 60d rears and only soft compounds in the front. Not so much for wear but because there's a huge difference in coasting speed. But with that comes the fact that I'll go through two front tires which already wear slower to every one rear tire I have. But to answer your question, yes these should last a little longer........whether or not it's something you notice......I doubt it. The difference is just not that big that wear should be affected. But the good news is that if you run these as a front, you don't have those siped center knobs on the DHF tires that fall apart the quickest.

Last edited:

davec113

Monkey
May 24, 2009
Sadly, at $93 MSRP I won't be trying Maxxis DH tires again unless someone's giving them away.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
The DHR 2 and DHF 2 should adjust their width measurements
Well only one of those exists so hey, halfway there! :D

Both of the revised '2' tires are a claimed 2.4. That's pretty accurate. WAY more accurate than any of the older ones.

Sadly, at $93 MSRP I won't be trying Maxxis DH tires again unless someone's giving them away.
I just saved you 10 bucks with about 2 seconds of trying :)

http://www.universalcycles.com/shopping/product_details.php?id=51847&category=190

Oooh look, 30 bucks!

http://www.universalcycles.com/shopping/product_details.php?id=1022&category=190

Last edited:

davec113

Monkey
May 24, 2009
$10 off is normal, $30 off is 60a compound only. I can get Butcher DH tires for $60 without even looking for a sale. I just go to my local store and buy them. I realize most people on here don't buy their own tires, but for those who do, tire prices are ridiculous. At Maxxis' MSRP, I'm spending $15 A DAY on DH tires!!!

Frisco

Chimp
Jan 16, 2002
Vancouver, WA
I didn't mean to reduce this thread to a price discussion. In my opinion, all DH tires are overpriced. This is evidenced by the fact that you can buy Maxxis moto tire for $48-$118 (I just looked it up). Maxxis tires are awesome. That's why I still buy them. It's just that I wish the side knobs wouldn't blow out quite so fast for me. I've had much better luck with butcher tires for longevity. I live in the pacific northwest and like the softer compound for roots and such. Unfortunately, for riders like myself the performance of the tire is connected to how they wear since I can't replace them every four rides. Maybe I will try a 60d in the back again. This tire does sound awesome.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
This is why I purchased a box full of Maxxis Ardent tires from Jenson just over a year ago. 3C tires in 2.4 and 2.6 for $18 each. I don't care how much they weigh for that much.

weedkilla

Monkey
Jul 6, 2008
I'm just a tyre whore, I wanna try 'em all. If they didnt wear so quickly I couldn't justify it.

wiscodh

Monkey
Jun 21, 2007
man, believe the hype. Just tossed one on for the weekend and it was e-mazing. I didnt trim them.

Tomasz

Monkey
Jul 18, 2012
Whistla
Just from looking at tread photos, it appears that the DHR2 should have been called the HR3 : )

Will try one out next chance I get, looks very promising.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I've just been trimming the front. I'm cool with it.

Wider angle of braking traction on the rear seems worth keeping IMO. And hard braking on the front is usually with the tire upright anyway so you're still getting good purchase, even when trimmed.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
I went out on a limb and replaced my 2.5 DHF's with 2.4 DHRII's (F&R) for 9 days at whistler this year. The tires rocked for the clapped out trails in the park all week. We also rode some new loamy stuff on the shore that was steep as **** and they gave me all the confidence in the world...Really psyched on the DHRII setup front and rear...

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
You normally ride in a bunch of wet stuff right?

I'd say hit that HR2.
hr2 = high roller 2?

I don't mind them in the dry, but in the wet they suck terribly compared to say a DHF or muddy mary, and I wouldn't consider either of those to be "fantastic" wet tires.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
Depends on what you call wet I guess. I think they work better there than on dry trails........by a long shot.
I suppose it would also depend on the type of dirt.

On "moist or tacky" dirt they seem to be fine, but once the trails become muddy or wet they seem pretty slippery in comparison.

Then again tires are very personal preference.

Overall I am not to enthused about my high roller ii's but they came on my bike since I bought it complete and I figured I'd run them for the rest of this season.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I'll be honest, I'm not too stoked on the HR2s either. They work fine in a 60a/maxxpro compound but the softer rubber just lets those sideknobs fold over WAY too easily. I threw a set back on a bike about a month ago and hated the soft one on the front. I won't be buying any more soft rubber versions of those. Maybe a maxxpro for a rear but that's it.

And yeah.....even in the rare mud scenario here, things just get better when wet. It never really gets slimy.

Nagaredama

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2004
Manhattan Beach, CA USA
So far I'm loving the extra braking power of the DHRII on the rear. Rode a trail with a some pretty steep dry loose sections and was loving the extra braking power.

Now that my DHF 2.7 3C is pretty much done I'll give the DHRII 3C a go on the front.

The DHRII mounted up perfectly tubeless on a Mavic 823. No soapy water needed. Added some Caffelatex and hit it with a car tire compressor and it popped perfectly and hasn't lost any air yet.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
what dou recommend for the compound front and rear?
You're in san diego? I live somewhere similarly dry and I've been running 60a/maxxpro tires on the rear forever. I still think there's no reason to run slow, sticky tires in the rear in dry climates if the tread design is a good one.

If you don't feel like cutting tires, I'd get a supertacky for the front. You'll be able to flex into that channel a little easier with the stock setup. If you feel like cutting......I'd go 3c. That's actually what I've been running......DHR2 front and rear, stock maxxpro rear, cut 3c in the front.

I don't know if it's just me, but it seems like the super tacky tires from maxxis have gotten a LOT better in the last two years. I used to rip knobs off those things in one good bike park day. That hasn't happened to me with any ST tire lately. They seem to grip as well as they always have, but last a hell of a lot longer.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
I don't know if it's just me, but it seems like the super tacky tires from maxxis have gotten a LOT better in the last two years. I used to rip knobs off those things in one good bike park day. That hasn't happened to me with any ST tire lately. They seem to grip as well as they always have, but last a hell of a lot longer.
It is just so sad that they don't offer the Slow Reezay compound anymore. I ran an old, pretty worn HR with SR again lately and I still think it is a revelation on wet roots.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
It is just so sad that they don't offer the Slow Reezay compound anymore. I ran an old, pretty worn HR with SR again lately and I still think it is a revelation on wet roots.
I agree 100%. Slow Reezay was darn good.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Both of you guys should get ahold of a recent supertacky version of whatever tire you're into. (preferably not the HR2). They remind me a lot of the old SRs. It's weird. I hoarded those things like crazy when they quit making them so I'm in the same boat. But the STs are different now. The 3Cs are the slightly stiffer ones and the supertackys are the gooey ones. Used to be the STs felt stiffer to me than the slow reazays.

Given, I haven't ridden one on the back where it would get worked more but I swear they're being made differently now.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Both of you guys should get ahold of a recent supertacky version of whatever tire you're into. (preferably not the HR2). They remind me a lot of the old SRs. It's weird. I hoarded those things like crazy when they quit making them so I'm in the same boat. But the STs are different now. The 3Cs are the slightly stiffer ones and the supertackys are the gooey ones. Used to be the STs felt stiffer to me than the slow reazays.

Given, I haven't ridden one on the back where it would get worked more but I swear they're being made differently now.
You might be right. During the times they had SR and ST the ST Minion lost his knobs fairly often, the SR just wore out. Lately they don't seem to have that problem anymore (couple of years now).
What is a 'recent' ST version? The last I bought were 2-3 years ago (a huge stack that lasted me for a while :D) and now I got some ITS just because they were super cheap.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I got a few of them last year. Before that I hadn't ridden a super tacky version of anything for years because they annoyed me so much. So I guess just 'new' would cover it. Maybe get one of these DHR2s just so you know it's not an old tire that's been sitting around in someone's warehouse.

mlin32

Chimp
Apr 12, 2012
WNC
Last month I finally replaced the rear Maxxis Ardent tire that had come with my bike, which were pretty hopeless for DH (why Kona fits them on the Coilair as standard, I don't know). I already had a DHF upfront and went for the DHR II in the rear and was impressed at the improvement. Under braking, there was a lot more traction and braking power- I rarely skid the rear tire even under wet conditions and they cleared pretty well in the mud. Definitely a good new tire in my opinion, the tread pattern works.

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
Timeliness and coincidence: I was just thinking about the G5 and was going to ask if you had tried it out.

Kntr - good eye! I hadn't really picked up on this, but they are very similar:

Woo's cut DHR II:

Bontrager's G5:
G5 - toward.jpg

Woo, have you tried the G5 yet, and if so, how does it compare to a cut DHRII as a front tire?

Last edited:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Shlt, I just heard about it 3 days ago. No but I want to ride them as soon as I can get a pair.

Or........

If your name is Verskis: yes I've ridden it and it's the best/worst tire I've ever ridden. I do wish the sideknobs/centerknobs were angled more/less and that there were more sipes/boobies in the design.