Quantcast

That Olympic question?

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
The old story goes...that juan antonio samaranch while attending the Atlanta summer olympics attended a GT freestyle (vert ramp) show. He was so enthralled by that sport he demanded to the IOC that it be included in the future games, it later turned into BMX instead. Maybe JAS will get his wish after all and Jamie Bestwick can get a gold medal ;)

If your post was a poke at hope for DH, be careful what you wish for. Take the last 4 olympic locations (china, greece, sydney, atlanta) and all of those would make for terrible DH venues, thus making the sport look so against what all you guys crave (GNAR, ROCKS, STEEP, LONG, MUD, NO PEDALLING).

Oh man, maybe it can be 4X, everyone loves a good 4X ;)

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
The old story goes...that juan antonio samaranch while attending the Atlanta summer olympics attended a GT freestyle (vert ramp) show. He was so enthralled by that sport he demanded to the IOC that it be included in the future games, it later turned into BMX instead. Maybe JAS will get his wish after all and Jamie Bestwick can get a gold medal ;)

If your post was a poke at hope for DH, be careful what you wish for. Take the last 4 olympic locations (china, greece, sydney, atlanta) and all of those would make for terrible DH venues, thus making the sport look so against what all you guys crave (GNAR, ROCKS, STEEP, LONG, MUD, NO PEDALLING).

has there ever been such a thing?

epic

Turbo Monkey
Sep 15, 2008
I'm sure that with several years notice a venue could be found just about anywhere. For Atlanta, they went all the way to Tennessee to find whitewater. Greece has mountains, I'm sure there is a hill or two somewhere near Beijing and Sydney. Ok, maybe FLorida would be a stretch, but I don't think we are in danger of Miami hosting the Olympics any time soon.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/

With the distances you sometimes see between the winter olimpic spots ( dunno bout summer) I see no problem transporting people a bit further. Especialy with that kind of money.
I think the olympics may turn to the "extreme sports" for help when they notice they need to bring young people to the screens. Though I agree they could make them suck heavily and dh racing would be far from from the first picks.