Quantcast

That time of year again...

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
The just after plattekill what do I do now time....

So I've been thinking about getting a new bike for some time now, and after riding at plattekill and enjoying myself immensely (again), I'd really like to get something new. Especially now that the season is coming to an end, and there are some really good deals.

Like a 2002 Intense M1 for $2000 at an lbs. Dorado, Hayes, Deemax, hopey, needs a new BB, older fox shock, good condition, pretty light.

Or an 05 Iron horse 7.5 from go ride...well specced and a sick deal, but not as DH oriented.

Or to wait for something else to come along. I'm 6', 190 lbs, ride very rocky very technical DH (plattekill style) and also some trail rides which consist of similar terrain on a flat surface, with very short climbs and descents. I may be moving soon, to the pac NW or CO, but I'll worry about that. You think it's worth it to get a DH bike, or should I aim for a 6" travel all mountain like the IH? The Intense was a good ride and seems like a great deal, but is it? I probably would've bought toshi's Canfield, but it sold already.

I know these threads are played out, but I don't want to miss out on a good opportunity if the M1 is a good deal or the IH is too good to pass up.

dhmtbj

Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Boston
how about an 2004 azonic recoil frame for $700 with a king headset, thomson post, and a few other small goodies :thumb:

julian_dh

Monkey
Jan 10, 2005
where i live in ontario there is little to no dh trails only mostly flat with short decents and short climbs. although i often go for weeks at a time to blue mountain and other downhill courses around ontario with racing and such. im really glad i got my orange cause its still a blast to ride on the tamer trails, so i would say get the intense update the linkage and change the shock to a dhx and change out any small things that could save weight like bar and stem. maby go tubeless aswell.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
This wasn't really meant as a "What bike should I buy" or "sell me your old bike" thread...but more of a "this bike seems like a great deal and is right on hand nearby" or "I've ridden a similar bike, and there's a great deal on a smaller model that I've never ridden" sort of question...i guess.

I guess you can feel free to spam away, but advice is also appreciated...I've also been considering a bb7, as I like the bike and there always seem to be a few nice used ones floating around.

biker3

Turbo Monkey
Sandwich said:
This wasn't really meant as a "What bike should I buy" or "sell me your old bike" thread...but more of a "this bike seems like a great deal and is right on hand nearby" or "I've ridden a similar bike, and there's a great deal on a smaller model that I've never ridden" sort of question...i guess.

I guess you can feel free to spam away, but advice is also appreciated...I've also been considering a bb7, as I like the bike and there always seem to be a few nice used ones floating around.
Check my add. Sorry to spam but seriously the Gemini DH could be exactly what your looking for. Mine has a fox Dh40 and tons of other top parts. It has 180mm of travel in the rear which makes it perfect for DH yet not too overkill for trailriding. The way mine is set up it weighs 37-39ibs depending on tires. It could be loads lighter with a wheel swap. Its a 2005 and Im only asking 2500 for it. Check the link, ask anyone who owns one, its the perfect all around bike.

A iron horse would also be a sick choice, I rode a buddies and really enjoyed it. It also seems to fit the bill for what you are looking for.

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
Where you planning to move in the Pac NW? The puget sound area has a few options for Dh, but not alot. It seems more and more people are getting fed up with having to drive to whistler and beyond to ride legal DH. Some to the point of selling the big bikes. That may be a consideration for what type of bike to get. On the other hand we can daytrip the shore and Whistler no problem so its often worth having 2 bikes (DH & Trail). If you can only have one bike, your Dh ride may get dusty over the winter as most the good DH stuff is higher elevation.

If you plan to hit oregon, there is some good stuff down there. It seems the long ass drive to canada motivated them enough to get their act together and make some legal FR/DH trail.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
How far is Whistler/the shore from the Seattle area? I thought it was only about 2 hours, which puts it closer than plattekill would be.

intensified

Monkey
Mar 31, 2004
Canton,Ma
a couple thousand bucks is a lot for a used dh. It may have 4 seasons on it by now. For that kind of dough you should be getting one with a 5th element shock. FYI the m-1 didn't have parts readily avalible at the end of this year, seems like they are putting focus on the m-3. lots of people are still using there bikes for a couple more months before they sell them.

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
Sandwich said:
How far is Whistler/the shore from the Seattle area? I thought it was only about 2 hours, which puts it closer than plattekill would be.
The shore is about 3, whistler about 4. From Olympia its a 5 hour trip to whistler, and we are about 65 miles south of seattle, well worth the day trip. Alot depends also on the timing of your trip. Seattle traffic can be hell, as can Vancouver traffic. On a clear day with no wait at the border you can buzz right up.