Quantcast

The 2006 Whiskey Offroad Endurance Event, Prescott, AZ

Trainwreck

Turbo Monkey
Aug 10, 2005
Med. to Well-Done in Phx
There were a large group of riders for the event this year as it featured 15, 25, and 50 mile courses. I stuck with the 25 mile course for the third year straight. The ride starts on the square in downtown Prescott and climbs up Copper Basin road. It's about 4-5 miles of a steep uphill grind before hitting the dirt. We were diverted before the normal turn off this year into a new section of steep climbing singletrack. At this point I thought maybe we would bypass the waterbar section which is brutal- no such luck. More climbing (and hiking) and finally the descent. This section is loose and rocky downhill, a real test for anyone which I failed miserably. I got crossed up around a corner and got pitched over the bars onto some sharp rocks and tore a fairly large hole in my arm. This was 10 miles into the event. I cleaned it out the best I could and continued on. This section finally flattens out at around the 12 mile point and begins another steep climb to aid station 1 where I got my arm cleaned and bandaged and grabbed a snack before continuing the climb to the Sierra Prieta overlook. From here it's back on the single track and after a brief climb it's the descent back into town. But not this year, another course change routed riders back into another loose rocky climb for about a half mile which was a real spirit breaker. I had been out of water for about twenty minutes at this point so I hopped off the bike and hiked the hill. Then it was back downhill featuring some of the sweetest singletrack of the ride and onto the pavement for the big ring blast back into town and across the finish. It looks like I turned a 4:37 beating my last year's time and placing 25th out of 43 in the 45 and over masters class. I'll take it!

Thanks to Todd and staff at Epic Rides for another great event.

The start on Whiskey Row in Prescott

The front of the pack was at the traffic light to give you some idea of the amount of riders.

Some clown in the crowd.

The Copper Basin Road climb out of town.

A half hour into the ride at almost 4 miles still grinding up the pavement.

Off the road at last!

Some hike-a-bike prior to the waterbar section.

Looking back down the trail.

The single speeder prevails!

Steep stuff.

The dreaded waterbars...

A common view through this section.

Still smiling through the pain.

The med crew at aid station 1, I was happy to see them!

The aid station.

50 milers coming up from Skull Valley.

The unexpected spirit breaker when we should have been descending.

The crash carnage...

And the bloody number plate.

The course map

Part of the landscaping where we stayed.

My new single speed I picked up in Prescott.

macko

Turbo Monkey
Jul 12, 2002
THE Palouse
Great report, T-Dub! Glad to see you made it through with an excellent finish time ... those erosion bars look MEAN.

mud'n'sweat

Falcon
Feb 12, 2006
Why's that SS'er climbing when all the gearies are hiking? :nope:

;) ;) ;)

Looks like a fun race! I really like your sub 22 equipped with etrex navi. Congrats on the solid finish :thumb:

Trainwreck

Turbo Monkey
Aug 10, 2005
Med. to Well-Done in Phx
jdschall said:
What kind of mount do you have on that there etrex? I could use one a them.
Garmin makes a nice handlebar mount for the etrex, it's very durable if what I have put it through is any indication. I know it's available at REI, I got mine at Sport Chalet.

Part No: 010-10267-00