Quantcast

The 2009 Dirty Bird DH Race!!!

motomike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 19, 2005
North Carolina
Thanks to Eastern Bikes, we will be giving away a Black Betty DJ frame to the top Junior men rider. The juniors have been killing it lately and we want to see some action at the Bird from you guys!

LambMan

Chimp
Jul 13, 2009
ATL
I'm planning on going up to the race with a buddy of mine. This will be my first time riding in that area and would like to do some riding on Friday. We're coming up Thursday night. If any locals will be free and wouldnt mind showing us around or could direct us to some good riding, I'd appreciate it. I will be driving a truck and have room to shutttle two more people.

fortenndu

Turbo Monkey
Apr 22, 2008
Boone, NC
I'm planning on going up to the race with a buddy of mine. This will be my first time riding in that area and would like to do some riding on Friday. We're coming up Thursday night. If any locals will be free and wouldnt mind showing us around or could direct us to some good riding, I'd appreciate it. I will be driving a truck and have room to shutttle two more people.
I'd like to check out some local riding, I'll probably be free/done with college tour stuff and in Boone friday afternoon. PM me if you want to ride.

motomike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 19, 2005
North Carolina
Few bits of information that you might want to know...

Race entry fee is $50.00 for all classes. Register on site on Saturday or Sunday before the race. Cash or check only please, and there is an ATM located in the Hawksnest Ski Lodge for your convenience.

We will have 7 classes total, including Pro men/women, Amateur men/women, Intro men/women, and Junior (18 and under). Depending on the turnout of women for the classes, we may need to combine a couple classes.

There will be a cash payout for the Pro categories that will be determined by how many people show up to race. ie, more registrants, MORE money goes to pros. We will pay top 5. Expect a good chunk of cash for winning the race!

Top 5 in Amateur, Intro and Junior categories will all receive product from our great sponsors. As stated before, since the Juniors in the southeast have been very competitive this year and devoted to racing, we are giving away an Eastern black betty dirt jump frame to the top Junior to make sure that they go all out!

We have a schedule finalized, I just need to get a hold of Liam and get it posted up. We originally had Pro qualifying on Saturday afternoon, but have since moved it to Sunday the day of the race to save about $500.00 on insurance. This only means MORE money for you racers!

Food: we will have at least a couple food vendors on site, as well as a few kegs to keep you hydrated. There is also a "trail grill" up on the hill next to the Whoops section that we have installed into the ground. Bring some charcoal and grill up whatever you want!

any other questions, please feel free to ask...

schedule will be posted as soon as I get a hold of Liam...

motomike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 19, 2005
North Carolina
Race Schedule:

Saturday

Registration 9:00am to 1:00pm
Practice 10:00am to 5:00pm (probably with a short break for food/water)

Sunday

Registration 9:00 to 11:00
Practice 9:00 to 11:00
Riders Meeting 11:30 at the Lodge
Pro Seeding Runs start at Noon
Races begin at 1:00 beginning with Intro class and ending with Pros.

Mulestar

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2007
in the dirt
I reserved 2 uhaul 28 footers for the weekend. We also have several trucks and a flatbed trailer on site in case we need to have overflow shuttle. We're gonna load one at the bottom while the other drives to the top. When one gets down the other goes up. The road is really steep so I'm kinda nervous about how full we can load them, but thats why we got 2 instead of one. Shuttling is (obviously) tedious for a race, but thats why we're trying to give you guys a LOT of practice time. Expect to have a bit of down time between runs to make sure everyone is getting a fair chance at the shuttle, but we'll do our best to crank 'em out all weekend. Having 2 uhauls will also cut down on the number of riders on course at once. The track is really tight and tricky, so we don't want nasty bottlenecks.

There will be a short gravel road hike at the top. Its pretty comparable to the hike at the top of Massunutten or Paris Mountain. The very top of the road is just too rough and steep to safely drive a uhaul full of bikes and people up.

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina
Please do not pull an "ETSU"!!!!! Good luck, I would love to come up and take Pictures if I can find the time.

Cecil

I reserved 2 uhaul 28 footers for the weekend. We also have several trucks and a flatbed trailer on site in case we need to have overflow shuttle. We're gonna load one at the bottom while the other drives to the top. When one gets down the other goes up. The road is really steep so I'm kinda nervous about how full we can load them, but thats why we got 2 instead of one. Shuttling is (obviously) tedious for a race, but thats why we're trying to give you guys a LOT of practice time. Expect to have a bit of down time between runs to make sure everyone is getting a fair chance at the shuttle, but we'll do our best to crank 'em out all weekend. Having 2 uhauls will also cut down on the number of riders on course at once. The track is really tight and tricky, so we don't want nasty bottlenecks.

There will be a short gravel road hike at the top. Its pretty comparable to the hike at the top of Massunutten or Paris Mountain. The very top of the road is just too rough and steep to safely drive a uhaul full of bikes and people up.

Dudebrah

Chimp
May 18, 2009
is there a website with all the info and everything about the race or is all scattered thru this thread:confused:
Yeah man, sorry about that. This race isn't really put on by the resort, it is being put on by some local shredder/racers who build beauty trail and an employee that rides. Up till now its all been out of pocket and what sponsorship we could get. Had a page for the race under design and the guy doing it fell on some crazy fam stuff, you know how it goes...

The point is we're just thrilled the race is going to happen. The trail is amazing, the crowd will be rad and I think it'll really help gravity riding in this region to have the dirty bird bike park getting under way.

Sorry for the shortcomings, I think the fun will far outweigh everything else at this event.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
all Moto has to do is edit his first post on page 1 and then it will all be on the first page. Schedule, videos, flyer, etc. will bein that one. Someone steal his laptop and do it for him.

Mulestar

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2007
in the dirt
i'm assuming it's a 1 run format?

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: on the ample practice time! :thumb: :thumb:

Yup...one and done...lotsa spots to screw up a race run huh?

Track prep is about to start...gotta fix 'er up from riding it in the muuuuuud yesterday. We made the whoops big and steep yesterday and you gotta haul ass just to prevent coming to a complete stop!

motomike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 19, 2005
North Carolina
just in, Robert Seth of Kinetic Images is confirmed for the weekend and he says he's bringing a crew with him to shoot tons of photos of you guys...

Mulestar

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2007
in the dirt
Been working hard race-prepping the track. Moving some dirt around here and there to clean it up and make sure its ready to race. Its weedwhacked, raked, and a good chunk of it is taped. It looks like the track will see some rain this week but all the drains are working well.

Fresh meat.