Quantcast

the 2010 giant 29er

yuroshek

Turbo Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
Arizona!
has anyone seen them yet? i got a chance to check one out today at the shop. my giant rep brought in his new 2010 giant 29er 2 in and was going over some of the parts and what not on the bike. looks like giant really stepped it up with this bike. they even designed their own rim which is super light. the chain stays on this bike are very short and the bar height is really low for having a 29" wheel and a 100mm 15QR fork/wheel combo.

they are out and ready to be ordered!!

yuroshek

Turbo Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
Arizona!
The chainstays on the med. Are 17.1

The rims are about 474g

Complete bike with plastic pedals 27lbs

Now remember this is the lowest model and msrp is 1299

jbogner

Monkey
May 8, 2006
Fort Collins, CO
The Giants are the most interesting new hardtail 29ers I've seen in a while. I like that they've gone a different direction than the herd with their geometry- very short stays, 100mm fork- they're not just clones of other companies' 29er hardtails, for sure. On paper they look like great bikes for east coast technical trails, and at decent prices as well.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
This is cool to hear about their 17.1" chainstays. What do they utilize/spec for their front derailleur? Must be something really low profile eh?

Jul 9, 2009
Michigan
Are the rims tubless ready? My dealer did not know.
The derailluir is odd (to me). It mounts low near the BB and swings up? I was on the fence with a 29'r due to my height (5'9"). The Tapered steering tube mayes for a strong very short headtube. I rode one. It tipped me over the fence. The M fit me perfect. I think that was a first on a 29 for me. Steering seemed very positive. I would say the tappered steerer, 15qr and deep v wheels (shorter spokes) really sharpen up the handling. It is the nicest looking Giant I have seen. The blue ano bits on the XTC 1 are sharp. It just looks clean and tough. People bag on the logo's everywhere. I think it looks fast and racey, it feels that way too. I should have mine tomorrow. I can give a better review of the bike. The fit and tight feel of this bike blew me away and changed my perception of 29'rs. Not the botique bike I dreamed about, but It sure rides like it and fits me better. Oh, one other thing the short chain stays and low head tube allow the bike to wheelie and bunny hop much more like my 26" bike. The Fizik' seat is a nice touch.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Just a few here and there but nothing with a lot of detail to them. I didn't realize they were going to feature sub 17.5" chainstays - pretty cool IMO!

Jul 9, 2009
Michigan
I should have it tomorrow. I will be out of town with it until monday. If anyone really wants pics or of anything specific let me know. I should be able to get pics up tomorrow night. Full ride report come Monday. I am taking her away for the weekend and I am thinking dirty! :thumb:----Mike

Last edited:

nitrousjunky

Chimp
Jun 30, 2009
I should have it tomorrow. I will be out of town with it until monday. If anyone really wants pics or of anything specific let me know. I should be able to get pics up tomorrow night. Full ride report come Monday. I am taking her away for the weekend and I am thinking dirty! :thumb:----Mike
I would like to see pics of tire clearance at seatstays & chainstays. Other than that just some good shots of the whole bike.

Jul 9, 2009
Michigan
Well just got back from picking it up. Kenda Karma folding tires. 1.9 on the rear and 2.2 on the front. There is about half an inch or more all the way around the tire. I will get pics up after dark. I have to go play!

yuroshek

Turbo Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
Arizona!
that's odd. they love long chainstays on the Trance, Reign and Glory. what made them go in the other direction here?
since its a 29er it has so accelaration so they tweaked the seat tube so they can smash the rear wheel in there really close. thus gives it a very nice short wheelbase and very fast accelaration. this bike is gonna kill.

Jul 9, 2009
Michigan
Well I have about 80 offroad miles on it. I really like this bike. It is like the best of 26 and 29 inch wheels. That is the best I can describe it. I say that because it steers better than any 29'r I have rode , not that I am some 29'r pro. I really can't complain about anything. The climbing traction is great. On very steep loose trail it likes you to set down. I have been riding single speed, so I tend to mash a big gear up a hill. It will clib either way on all but the steepest loose climbs. Typical to 29'rs I could really blast down hill. I was getting very brave (gulp). No brakes through the corners, it just sticks! Very positive front end. I did not notice much 29'r slow spin up. I can bunny hop logs no problem. I credit this to the short chainstays. Very easy to wheelie. I could do BMXish power wheelie sprits. I was instantly comfortable on the bike. Tires are Kenda Karma Kevlar. They work very well on my terrain. Shifting was awesome on the rear. SLX shifter XT rear derailiur rocks. The front deore derailiur was just fine, but the rear was awesome. The FIZIK Tundra seat blows. I will give it a few more rides. It might just need a little break in. My only other complaint was a squeal. I re adjusted the cailiper. Its better but not fixed yet. The front has been flawless. I am really stoked on this bike. It just might change a lot of peoples mind on what 29'r means. Now I just need an extra 8 hours a week to ride. This baby fies!!! :thumb:

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Mike Fill me in on what I need to order to go tubeless, if it's possible. I am really concerned about the valve stem length?
You could always do a valve extender too. Use them all the time on deep section road wheels, they work fine.

Mike B.

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2001
State College, PA
Extender or no extender, we don't currently make a strip that will fit that rim unfortunately. Flow strips aren't going to cut it due to the depth of the drop channel. They're advertising it as being compatible with aftermarket tubeless systems, but checking with the makers of those systems first might have been a good idea.