Quantcast

the 2023 DH racing thread!

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Like anything else there's such thing as too long of a bike or too wide of a bar. You can also do this super amazing thing called moving your hands in and out depending on what you're riding. Obviously if your bars are so wide that you don't have the range of motion to fully lean the bike over you have a problem, but the 10mm per side past 780mm hasn't been an issue for me; the fact that I have a fairly long wingspan for my height may have something to do with it - YMMV.
Yeah but that may mean that you might have been simply riding too short bikes or too narrow bikes before. So it's more a matter of sizing. If you are comfortable then it's gucci. I'd just make sure to note if you feel any changes in riding performance (crashes, insecurity on steep or flat terrain etc). Tbh I was more making a comment about the general trend in our community where people take some trends to the extreme. I've seen tiny kids on 820mm bars. Hell I've even got bitten by renting out a too long bike when looking for the right fit and only realized when our guide told me I am riding weird and not shifting my weight back on really steep terrain ( I was literally unable to do so, crashed an abnormal amount of times that day too)

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Reece Wilson's instagram story today has him with a broken tibial plateau. Not the ideal start to the season. Dude has had a rough trot lately.

Feb 21, 2020
SoCo Western Slope
Reece has been on crutches for 10 weeks, 11 weeks ago he was posting video of a "moto vacation" in Cally ripping a track.
Hmmmmm....:clue:

Not just tibial plateau, but the whole leg/foot is busted in multiple places.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
dhse #3 at windrock. ol' will (the announcer) needs to up his game with a little more energy/personality, but the top men were fun to watch
well, to be fair, Will IS tired! 9 hours of live announcing during the weekend, coordinating and writing all the interviews, writing the script for the show, AND taking care of a 2 month old is you know, pretty tiring! It’s a testament to that whole team that they manage to get the replays out on Mondays.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
well, to be fair, Will IS tired! 9 hours of live announcing during the weekend, coordinating and writing all the interviews, writing the script for the show, AND taking care of a 2 month old is you know, pretty tiring! It’s a testament to that whole team that they manage to get the replays out on Mondays.
i know, i know (and i know trill will too). just the fact that there *is* coverage is actually pretty damn awesome...i mean for a small race series to have an announcer, interviews, a bunch of good camera shots, live splits, and an edit out a day later is amazing. i don't race personally, but dhse is doing a terrific job supporting and growing the sport.

fwp

Monkey
Jun 5, 2013
DHSE has really upped the production quality and camera work this year, the coverage is so good.
Vermette was 3 seconds from the win and beat Richie with a crash?? This kid is already doing the unthinkable at 16