Quantcast

The 29er Rear Tire Thread

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Okay so I've been on a few rides now with the Rampage as a rear tire and I've concluded that is best meant for front tire duty.

I think I'm going back to the Nanoraptor cuz that's the only other tire I've got right now?

But what's been working for you guys as a good rear tire that grips well yet still rolls pretty well?

Ignitor?
Specialized Fast Trak?
Specialized Resolution?

others?

Cheers,
Mark

Bullitboyz

Monkey
Mar 12, 2003
CT. USA
Okay so I've been on a few rides now with the Rampage as a rear tire and I've concluded that is best meant for front tire duty.

I think I'm going back to the Nanoraptor cuz that's the only other tire I've got right now?

But what's been working for you guys as a good rear tire that grips well yet still rolls pretty well?

Ignitor?
Specialized Fast Trak?
Specialized Resolution?

others?

Cheers,
Mark
dude what happened, didn't you just have like 10 different 29er tires?

i still stand by the Specialized Resolutions.
for New England trail conditions they absolutely rock.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Sold the Exiwolf as I wouldn't miss that at all.

Still have the nanoraptors

And wasn't a big fan of the sidewalls on the Klaws so I passed those along to someone else who wanted some lightweight mud tires.

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
So far:

WTB Exiwolf: Heavy but works well for everything.

Schwalbe Little Albert: light & fast. Always felt like I was getting a flat, half the time I did. Delegted to up front duty.

Feb 13, 2006
Ignitor is good combination of grip and rolling speed.

I have used Ignitor 2.1, NanoRaptor 2.1 and Nevegal 2.2 on the rear. I like each one for different reasons.

Ignitor 2.1 is my all around rear tire, it's on there most of the time.

NanoRaptor if it's definitely going to be hardpack or solid rock.

Nevegal if I really want it cushy in the rear -- constant large chunk rock, that's about the only situation where I'd want it.

jncarpenter

Monkey
Apr 1, 2002
lynchburg, VA
...the Resolution is far and away the better rear tire available right now (imho). For the volume & bite it has, the rolling resistance is non-existant. I'm just back from spending the weekend in Pisgah and found the tire to excel there as well as it does in my local (VA) terrain. Having lived in NE over 20 years, I can imagine that you will be overjoyed with it. Also, it RETAILS for 34.99....how can you beat that?

PS. I am running mine tubeless with Stans Flow rims & after beating the crap out of them this weekend over rough, rooty/ rocky terrain & repeated 4-5 ft drops & ledgy step downs, not even a wimper or burp! Again, excellent tire....rear or front as well! :)

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
can't wait to get my 29 xc bike.

i have a karma 2.2 i think will roll great and still damp my pamp.

jncarpenter

Monkey
Apr 1, 2002
lynchburg, VA
...I haven't put a caliper to it, but it is every bit of 2.3" imho. Judging by the way it held up tubeless in all the sharp/ rough rocks this weekend, I would say the casing is super durable for a 700g tire !

mud'n'sweat

Falcon
Feb 12, 2006
Agree that the Rampa and Neve are both better for front duty. So far, I have been very impressed with my new crossmark. Also raced and rode the SB8 and Nano on the rear this year with excellent results. I started off on the ignitor and have yet to give it another go all year. I'll likely put it back on for any muddy races but no need thus far. I do remember the rolling resistance wasn't too bad and the grip was okay too. My favorite front tire by far is the Geax Saguaro. Grips like a beast on just about any surface and is super cush on the rigid set up. Corners with GREAT confidence.

I too am in VA.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
...I haven't put a caliper to it, but it is every bit of 2.3" imho. Judging by the way it held up tubeless in all the sharp/ rough rocks this weekend, I would say the casing is super durable for a 700g tire !

I've seen these meats on bullitboyz bike (his old Kona) and they are very nice looking 2.3s - wide and good volume to em too.

Tweety

Chimp
May 30, 2007
I've seen these meats on bullitboyz bike (his old Kona) and they are very nice looking 2.3s - wide and good volume to em too.
Running them on my SS and my Asylum, and swear by them. I was offered a free set of Ignitors, and told the offerer that they'd just collect dust, because I only ride the Specialized Resolutions. They grip MUCH better than Exis or Fast Tracks, and do pretty well in the slop. The only thing they're a little sketchy on is N. Ga pinestraw, but then again, what isn't?

Tweety

Chimp
May 30, 2007
I'm 99% sure you can only get them through Spec or Spec dealer. They're pretty anal about who sells their stuff.