Quantcast

The absolute last part that I ever thought that I could break

ridiculous

Turbo Monkey
Jan 18, 2005
MD / NoVA
WTF Fox

Oil spewed like peter north on tera patrick. And the typical 40 "click" was really a untypical 40 crack! No wonder the small bump sucked ass.

/rant

going to break something else now.

ridiculous

Turbo Monkey
Jan 18, 2005
MD / NoVA
I think everything that could have gone wrong did. There were definitely two different oils in the bucket when I drained it. Im reworking the cart right now. My first pour left me with about a half inch of play. If topping it off doesnt fix it then I guess ill send it in.

That spring really wasnt that old. Like 3 months...I think my days on fox suspension are now numbered.

Ian Collins

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Pacific Beach, San Diego, CA
I think everything that could have gone wrong did. There were definitely two different oils in the bucket when I drained it. Im reworking the cart right now. My first pour left me with about a half inch of play. If topping it off doesnt fix it then I guess ill send it in.

That spring really wasnt that old. Like 3 months...I think my days on fox suspension are now numbered.
yeah, cycling those cartridges through so they are air free is a pain in the ass....i'd just send the damn thing in

ridiculous

Turbo Monkey
Jan 18, 2005
MD / NoVA
yeah I think im going to send it in after massanutten. Or wait till the open and hope the fox truck is there. Ive got the play down to about 2 mm so im hoping i can ride it this weekend.

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
I've seen another 40 spring break like that.

Just buy a steel replacement spring from Fox. It's not significantly heavier, it's way cheaper, and way stronger. My buddy did just that, and hasn't had another issue in almost 2 years.

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
yeah I think im going to send it in after massanutten. Or wait till the open and hope the fox truck is there. Ive got the play down to about 2 mm so im hoping i can ride it this weekend.
top it from the rebound side, not the bladder side. i normally can get a very good bleed with that. cycle it a few times with the LSC adjuster open and then closed, let all the air come to the top, top it up and close it off.

P.T.W

Monkey
May 6, 2007
christchurch nz
nice!!!!:thumb:
A loooong time ago i somehow split a shim in my old foes f1 forks:poster_oops:,a quick trip to my friendly mx shop got it sorted tho:cheers:

ridiculous

Turbo Monkey
Jan 18, 2005
MD / NoVA
top it from the rebound side, not the bladder side. i normally can get a very good bleed with that. cycle it a few times with the LSC adjuster open and then closed, let all the air come to the top, top it up and close it off.

Ill try that one when i rebuild it again next week. I left the lsc and rebound fully counterclock wise and cycled about 25 times with fresh oil. However, because the oils mixed during whatever happened to the fork. I chose to flush everything. Literally new oil in, cycle, pour out, more oil seal, release air, seal up, open rebound side, top off, cycle, torque down, install. Play is minimal, unfortunately I cant critique my service accurately because the spring thats in there now is a size too large. I think ill just order a blue spring when i order a new seal kit on monday.

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
yea, you should cycle the damper when the lsc is opened and closed, so that oil goes though the lsc circuit and the hsc circuit. also take it all the way to bottom out so that oil goes through the bottom out cone.

top up the fork a few times and you would most likely end up with a very good bleed. best way to check is but putting the rebound at max, and you would really be able to feel any dead spots at the end then.

being patient is key too, those tiny air bubbles take ages to get to the top.

good luck.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
It's a friggin 40. What do you expect? If a 40 isn't blown up somehow, something's wrong.