Quantcast

The adventures of my new ride

thesacrifice

Monkey
Aug 4, 2004
First and foremost my experience at any kind of bike riding beyond youthful exploration started a year or so ago when I purchased a 2003 Enduro. I loved and still love that bike for aggresive XC....but I suspect like most people, the term "aggresive XC" quickly became more and more "aggresive."

Peddling the miles and miles of trails at the base of Capitol Forest was fun, but the more I went out, the more roots I was looking to jump and the fast I wanted to go.

Shuttling: A friend who also started riding when I did progressed at the same speed as I, and like myself he wanted more. We started shuttling to the top of Capitol Forest and riding down the Green Line. At first the many steep switchbacks and rooted trails scared us but after a few rides we were getting pretty darn fast. We then started doing the Mount Molly loop and were introduced to baby heads, and rutted out trails do to Dirt Bikers. This type of riding was technical and exciting. Then came SST blah blah blah right? What this all leads to is my want and need for a bike that was more capable than my Enduro...

I confess, I led my share of annoying, "what bike" messageboard quests and quickly knew I wanted a Dirtbag, Bullit, or an ASX. I browsed the classifieds and I checked out all the online stores. Go-ride..Aeride..etc etc but my initial correspondance with DropNZone had me hooked. Allen, the man behind DropNZone was eager to answer any and all questions I had. He was also very competitive with his pricing and very willing to work with me on getting the Bike I wanted with the specs that I wanted. Long story short I ordered a 05 Yeti ASX... and to spearhead it.. a 04 Super T

Attachments

thesacrifice

Monkey
Aug 4, 2004
I drove up from Olympia yesterday to Bellingham (Ferndale) with a friend to pick up my newly purchased "rig." Walking into Allen's shop was somewhat of a suprise. As he pointed out, the space wasn't filled with 50 different bikes whose only purpose served to be bounced on by googly eyed customers who would size up their ride and purchase elsewhere. Allen's shop is at bareminimum, something his service isn't. He then added the ASX with the Super T equaling pure radness. A quick spin out in the lot and the ride was ready to go. Allen drew us up some directions to Galbrath but it was late in the day so we decided we wouldn't make it. Instead we stopped at the Bellingham dirt jumps which Allen had previously mentioned were mediocre...they were.... Listen to Allen folks...

So we made our way back down to Olympia, my friend went home.. I went home. I pulled into the garage and unleashed my ASX. I took it for a spin around the block.

Impressions: The DHX so far is awesome. Pedal Bob is really kept to a bare minimum...something that wasn't true on the fox air shock that came with my Enduro. K, let's be honest... on cement.. this thing is a bit of a pig, but hey it certaintly isn't the 32lbs my enduro is (in fact its 42) and it does have 2.5 inch tires. Back to the garage for the night

Attachments

thesacrifice

Monkey
Aug 4, 2004
I woke up today finding that my ride partner would be bailing, so I decided just to head up to Steilacoom park. There are some really steep chutes neard the water tower, beit they're only 50 yards long or so. I geared up and...walked up the gravel road. At the top I found myself looking down into the woods at a loose dirt singletrack riddles with tree roots. This thing was steep, I could barely stand on it. I boarded my rocket.. pointed and... blast off!! If there's anything to say about this bike is that it's confidence inspiring. I would have never done that chute on my Enduro...others probably would have but not I....what was once impossible was now an adrenaline rush. I hiked back up and decided to try a chute I had done on my Enduro the last time I was in Steilacoom. This one wasn't as steep but had plenty of root drops. My previous encounter was fun...but pretty slow...this time it was balls out....fast!!!

I've seen people ask if the Enduro was a freeride capable bike before...sure the frame can probably take the abuse, but after riding my ASX, I'm convinced that the geomety is all wrong. The last time I had been into Capitol Forest on my Enduro I flipped over the handlebars after a doubleset jump landing on my head with my bike on my back. To be honest.. I was scared that this heavy ass ASX with the double crown up front was gonna be an endo machine...but jumping this thing is a blast, it's pretty damn neutral.... so I'm a little kid in a candy shop, yea yea.

So after todays ride I'm nothing short of impressed. I got back into my truck and saw that my cellphone had a voicemail...hey hey it was Allen checking up to see how my ride was...has Supergo done that for you?

I do have one concern though. Going high speed over small bumps I notice some chatter in my suspension. At first I thought it was my Super T..then my DHX..now I don't know which... if not both? I guess it's best described as sounding like somethings rattling? Perhaps it's the breakin of the suspension? All the bolts were checked yesterday at the dogbone and pivot areas to be tight.. maybe it's normal?

monster welds like whoa! http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=73635

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
its probably your chain/derailleur. my as-x sounds like that and every thing is tight but due to clearance the chain when it swings side to side slaps lightly on the swingarm.

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
biggins said:
its probably your chain/derailleur. my as-x sounds like that and every thing is tight but due to clearance the chain when it swings side to side slaps lightly on the swingarm.
I always wrap my stays with an old inner tube. That really quiets things down.

Also, Super T's are known to rattle a bit, but you can get some shim washers to put between the c-clip and top cap that removes this small gap. I can get some if you need... i could meet ya in town some time. If you ever need a shop to work on your bike, i have a cool location, and only charge beer for the use of tools... :)

Thats a sick looking bike, and your story of progression is pretty much the same as mine. Trail riding is still alot of fun, but nothing can compare to the full squishy ride on a big bike. Ill have my DHR done this week and will be doing some of the sunday shuttles to get some miles in before race season.

Let me know if you think the fork may be the source of the noise.

Later,
damon

thesacrifice

Monkey
Aug 4, 2004
oly said:
I always wrap my stays with an old inner tube. That really quiets things down.

Also, Super T's are known to rattle a bit, but you can get some shim washers to put between the c-clip and top cap that removes this small gap. I can get some if you need... i could meet ya in town some time. If you ever need a shop to work on your bike, i have a cool location, and only charge beer for the use of tools... :)

Thats a sick looking bike, and your story of progression is pretty much the same as mine. Trail riding is still alot of fun, but nothing can compare to the full squishy ride on a big bike. Ill have my DHR done this week and will be doing some of the sunday shuttles to get some miles in before race season.

Let me know if you think the fork may be the source of the noise.

Later,
damon
Sounds rad Damon. I attribute my lack of mechanical skills to being left handed.... the only tool I could put to use was a paintbrush.

A friend of mine did the Sunday shuttle once... said there was a ****load of peddling...you taking an alternate route? We've gotta hook up for a ride sooner than later

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
thesacrifice said:
Sounds rad Damon. I attribute my lack of mechanical skills to being left handed.... the only tool I could put to use was a paintbrush.

A friend of mine did the Sunday shuttle once... said there was a ****load of peddling...you taking an alternate route? We've gotta hook up for a ride sooner than later
Did you hike to the towers then ride down? Sounds like you did greenline #6. #6 has alot of fun down, but its got more pedaling for sure. The ride from the towers hooks you up on the trail #30 that has the stunt area. Its not bad for pedalling, except for the road ride out. I'd be stoked to lead ya on that ride sometime. Next weekend im attending the PA day. You should try to go to that. See the sticky PA spring fling thread. On site registration is available. Otherwise maybe in the following weeks we could hook up. I tend to do the shuttle with the schedule of being home by 12. Its pretty easy to do, unless we run into problems.

Later,
d

thesacrifice said:

Siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiick ride man, congrats on such a nice bike!!! What did that frame run? I'm really interested in it!

thesacrifice

Monkey
Aug 4, 2004
If I'm not working I think I'll definitely check out that PA event...not sure about doing the expert course but it sounds worth checking out

thesacrifice said:
If I'm not working I think I'll definitely check out that PA event...not sure about doing the expert course but it sounds worth checking out
Good luck on that course... I haven't been on it but I know some of the people who are describing it, and being that your used to an enduro, and what that bike was capable of, it might be a bit before you can tackle the expert course at PA. Some of these guys on here are real modest, and their understanding of easy is my understanding of hardcore. But, it's all relative to what your used to. Me being from dryer locations, and non-Northshore locations, some of the stuff in WA will always be out of my reach. I don't know your ability, don't take this as an insult, I'm just simply stating that I've been reccommended a few trails that I decided to check out, and ended up skipping alot of the stuff. But then again, I'm not used to landing 15 foot drops into root infested slick mud that has a 90 degree turn as soon as you stick it. I'm more of a flow rider, I like the openness of CA, MT, eastern WA where you can see the trail and where it's going, whats on it etc. 15 ft drops aren't what's spooky, it's the conditions, landings, and quick decision makings in the tree's that if you f up, your going to go down, or hit a tree hard.

But sick bike, go rip up the begginner course, and let me know what you think of the expert.

~J

thesacrifice

Monkey
Aug 4, 2004
NineFingers said:
Good luck on that course... I haven't been on it but I know some of the people who are describing it, and being that your used to an enduro, and what that bike was capable of, it might be a bit before you can tackle the expert course at PA. Some of these guys on here are real modest, and their understanding of easy is my understanding of hardcore. But, it's all relative to what your used to. Me being from dryer locations, and non-Northshore locations, some of the stuff in WA will always be out of my reach. I don't know your ability, don't take this as an insult, I'm just simply stating that I've been reccommended a few trails that I decided to check out, and ended up skipping alot of the stuff. But then again, I'm not used to landing 15 foot drops into root infested slick mud that has a 90 degree turn as soon as you stick it. I'm more of a flow rider, I like the openness of CA, MT, eastern WA where you can see the trail and where it's going, whats on it etc. 15 ft drops aren't what's spooky, it's the conditions, landings, and quick decision makings in the tree's that if you f up, your going to go down, or hit a tree hard.

But sick bike, go rip up the begginner course, and let me know what you think of the expert.

~J

yea hehe that's what i was getting out, not gonna do the Expert course

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Really the expert course isnt all that bad, and thats not just being modest. THeres one gnar spot that claimed me last time, but the rest of it wasnt so bad. I probably wont be going full tilt either since its been months off the big bike. I hear the new beginner/sport course is actually pretty fun. If you can make it out that would be cool to meet up....

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
word good to hear. it took me a little wihle to get used to my chain rattle on mine

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
i would wrap mine in an inner tube but i havent flatted in almost 1.5r years so i dont have one laying around

thesacrifice

Monkey
Aug 4, 2004
I used a brand new tube...figured a bike that costs as much as a decent down payment on a car was worth the $5 or however much the tube was :)