Quantcast

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
so it's looking like my RX-8's not going to sell on the private market. it's on eBay but I give it a 25% chance of hitting reserve. it's apparently not a good time to be selling a not-cheap red sports car.

thus my plans car-wise may be in for revision since trading in the car might be in order. Honda Fit, maybe? hmm...
Why not just keep it for now? While you could do better MPG-wise with another car, you seem to have the 'not driving' thing working for you thus making mileage a non-issue day to day. Taking a low-ball price just to save some gas money doesn't make sense.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
That makes my 25mpg estimate easy.

Another thing I am going to do is get a printout from DEQ with the 307 gas now, the 6.2 diesel running dino, and the 6.2 running bio to get some real numbers as to actual exhaust emissions.

I know I will at least double my mpg with the diesel motor, but I'm interested in seeing what the emissions difference is as well.
While you can get those numbers I wouldn't expect to see them regularly unless your gearing is dialed perfectly. My 360hp (soon to get a +100rwhp EFI live tune) duramax can get 21+ @ 55-60mph but it goes down fast as speed increases. 75mph is good for only 18-19, and that's with a 6spd.

I remember reading that B20 reduces emissions significantly versus dino. I'm running B20 and I lost ~1mpg plus the engine has less sack than with dino.

There's a LB7/5spd alli combo (plus the guy has the rear axle) in the dieselplace classifieds. That would take a lot of 'what if's' out of your project, assuming budget allows.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Why not just keep it for now? While you could do better MPG-wise with another car, you seem to have the 'not driving' thing working for you thus making mileage a non-issue day to day. Taking a low-ball price just to save some gas money doesn't make sense.
normally i'd agree with you 100%. however, my life's timeline is all screwy: i have three more days of clinic, an irrelevant presentation, an equally irrelevant end-of-clerkship test, and then i'm off for three solid weeks before wrapping up and getting hooded.

i'm not going to have this much contiguous free time again for years. literally. i'll be lucky if i get every 7th day off on average through next year, and i'm certainly not going to make another shot at selling or trading in my car during the year.

/me runs off and sobs quietly in the corner

Honda Fit. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_Fit

$13950 + TTD for the one on the left, the non-Sport variant. 1.5 liters, 109 hp, 5 speed manual. LEV-2 emissions rating.

28/34/31 city/hwy/combined mileage on regular unleaded per the EPA. in base manual trim it weighs all of 2432 lbs, which is not bad for 90 cubic feet of interior room.

there's now a new-gen one out, but not in north america (will be a 2009 model). besides, like the Scion xB, it got bigger and heavier this time around.
Toyota Yaris. http://www.toyota.com/yaris/

$11,350 + TTD. 1.5 liter, 106 hp, 5-speed manual. ULEV-II emissions. drag coefficient reportedly 0.29. electric power steering pump! someone at toyota was thinking efficiency... weird central dashboard layout, however.

29/35 city/hwy mpg per the EPA. 84.6 cubic feet inside for the 3-door hatch.

and, of course, it is endorsed by our own ALEXIS_DH. :D

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
now for a few weird alternative vehicles.

Tango. http://www.commutercars.com/

39" wide, and 60" tall. weight of 3000+ lbs, most of that SLA.

comes in several versions. the fast one is $108k. yes. but it is fast: runs 228-300V at up to 2000A. yes, it's fast, as in a 12 second at 120 mph kind of car. range of "40-80 miles" with SLA, more with NiMH or Li-ion.

the slower ones are projected to be cheaper, but they're just complete fantasies at this point...
EcoCab. http://www.newswire.ca/en/releases/archive/April2008/21/c7345.html

cost: free to ride within toronto! (ad-supported.) specs unknown, but appears to use a front hub motor in addition to the poor sap in the drivers' seat.

if you wanted to build and run your own (ghetto BMW C1, anyone?) then here's what appears to be the chinese manufacturer's page: http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/202780217/Electric_Three_Wheeler_CE/showimage.html
remember the Automotive X-Prize, offering up $10 million for the vehicle that wins their competition while exceeding 100 mpg and being mass-producible? well, here's popular mechanics take on their presumed top-10 competitors...

http://www.popularmechanics.com/automotive/new_cars/4261425.html?series=19

10. West Philly Hybrid EVX
West Philly Hybrid X (Philadelphia, Pa.) /// 130 mpg (both) /// $25,000 /// EVXTeam.org

Could a bunch of teenagers in an after-school class really build the first mainstream plug-in hybrid not coming out of Detroit? Don't put it past Simon Hauger's mechanical engineering students at West Philadelphia High School—they've already won the Tour de Sol with an up-converted electric Saturn and the biodiesel Attack convertible pictured above. "Because they're kids, they're not limited by the common laws of physics—I never would have thought of some of their ideas," says Hauger, a math and physics teacher by day who started the program nine years ago with electric go-kart builds. "The other limitation is that because we're a small high-school team, we can't dream so far out of the box." But lithium-ion hybrid mods on a Toyota Corolla are a pretty good place to start for these surprisingly serious contenders.

How It Works
Combining an Azure Dynamics electric drive system with a Corolla chassis, Hybrid X plans to produce at least two different prototypes of its EVX—first a two-cylinder diesel hybrid, then a gas version, and a possible ground-up build with a mystery biofuel courtesy of feel-good investors lining up by the minute. Like many competitors for the AXP, Hauger remains skeptical of promises from li-ion battery suppliers, so he and two other program administrators are now scouting new companies. A medium-length 110-volt charge should provide 40 miles on electricity alone, with perhaps upward of a 500-mile range after that.

Bottom Line
To get a prototype EVX on the road by summer's end in the buildup to X Prize stage races next fall, Boeing engineers will help the West Philly kids with body modifications and fuel-economy tests at a nearby wind tunnel. Meanwhile, Drexel University's MBA program has signed on to create a business plan to turn a high school's dream car into a sub-$25,000, American-made, four-door plug-in—and market it to the biggest fleet customers in the industry. "I think a lot of teams are missing the point," Hauger says. "You can spend oodles of time to model this stuff, or you can just go build the thing, put it on the road, and make modifications from there to the finish line." —Matt Sullivan
click through to read about the other 9... yes, Aptera and Tesla are on the list.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
There's a LB7/5spd alli combo (plus the guy has the rear axle) in the dieselplace classifieds. That would take a lot of 'what if's' out of your project, assuming budget allows.
As much as I would love to run a DMax, $6k+ (haven't looked at that one, but that seems to be the starting point) is out of the question.

I've got $4k in brakes/suspension work still to do. My engine build is looking to be about $4k as it is. The 6.2 is the best option for budget and needs.

So far my friend has been averaging 22mpg in his 3500 Ram on B100. His 4x4 1 ton quad cab long bed dually is damn near twice the curb weight as my '71 LWB, so so 25mpg is easy. It's not geared for speed and the engine is being built to be as efficient as possible.

I can't wait to get my wife a Honda Fit. That car is so damn fun to drive. Nothing compared to your RX8, I'm sure. But it's zippy and a joy for sure.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I can't wait to get my wife a Honda Fit. That car is so damn fun to drive. Nothing compared to your RX8, I'm sure. But it's zippy and a joy for sure.
that's the thing, though: i wring the car out on an on-ramp here and there (can't let carbon buildup hurt the engine! :D) but 95% of the time i'm doing 60 mph on cruise in the right hand lane.

now that i've decided that i'm done with autocrossing the car is basically like any other to me, only with the not-so-fine distinction that i get 24 mpg out of it driving at a comparatively sloth-like pace.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
In all seriousness, I had a stupid grin on my face after driving the Fit. We took it on a short stretch of back road where I take the moto on my commute and it was exactly like my CRX. Nice short throw shifter, tight but not harsh ride, it was awesome. Plenty of power for it's size and with 3 adults in it, it still had some nice get up.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
anyone old and euro enough to remember the BMW Isetta microcar? 3 wheels, door on the front to allow for head-in parking, etc.? no?

well, BMW is thinking about resurrecting the Isetta nameplate for its upcoming EV and non-EV city car line. this would be smaller than a modern Mini for sure.

http://blog.wired.com/cars/2008/05/bmw-bringing-ba.html
http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/autoexpressnews/213099/bmw_isetta.html

old:

new (illustration):

Rumors that BMW is bringing back the Isetta appear to be true, and the latest word out of Munich is the modern take on the old classic will be an electric vehicle that's coming to America.

BMW brass are reportedly poised to sign off on the project in order to meet California's zero emissions vehicle mandate, which requires automakers to build 7,500 emissions-free cars by 2014. Company CEO Norbert Reithofer tells Britain's Autocar that BMW "would be obliged to sell a zero emissions vehicle under the U.S. regulations" and a electric vehicle was "the most likely answer."

Sweet. When does it get here?

Autocar says it could be in American showrooms by 2012 and may be offered globally, given rising fuel prices and the fact many European cities are aggressively cracking down on vehicle emissions.

Reithofer said BMW could have cranked out a few hundred vehicles to meet California's mandate and called it a day, but the concept might be used "not just for an electric car but a range of city cars" that could us small gasoline or diesel engines - or perhaps BMW's motorcycle engines.

There's no word yet on the car's specs, and BMW hasn't decided which brand the Isetta will wear. Could be BMW, could be Mini, could be something else. The company may consider working with another automaker - Mercedes' Smart division has been named - to keep costs down.

One thing's for sure. The new Isetta won't have the original's funky refrigerator-style door. To see what the new Isetta might look like, check out Autocar's exclusive image here.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I'm neither old enough nor Euro enough, but I DO remember that car... :D
well, it's verifiable that you're not euro enough. so unless my basic premises are wrong... QED. :D

remember how i wished for a hybrid retrofit kit a few pages back? my idea was for a "mild-hybrid" stop-start kit, but it looks like a company called MIRA (sounds like it should be the evil empire in a bond flick) is going all out, developing a full-hybrid kit:

Hybrid power... as an option!

thelinkedarticle said:
Hybrid power... as an option!
New plug-in hybrid conversion kit, could save motorists up to 61% on fuel costs and reduce emissions.

06th May 2008
Going green could soon be as simple as ticking the right box on your car’s options list.

That’s thanks to a new plug-in hybrid conversion kit, which could cost around £2,000 and be retro-fitted to any current model, according to its maker.

Automotive designers at vehicle testing centre MIRA say the technology, dubbed H4V, could potentially save motorists up to 61 per cent on fuel costs, and reduce emissions by as much as 39 per cent.

Converted cars would be partly powered by a removable battery that can be plugged into the mains and drives two in-board motors, plus a petrol engine. It’s already been tested on a Skoda Fabia at MIRA’s track facility in Nuneaton, Warks. A spokesman said: “One manufacturer is already interested in adding the hybrid system to its range.” He added that it could end up on car makers’ options lists as early as 2010.
i have no idea how they came up with their cockeyed "61%" fuel cost savings figure, but the idea is cool.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
looks like dan-o has nailed it. here's the story:

the RX-8's eBay Motors auction currently has no bids. sure, it has 7 watchers and there's a solid week left, but the odds of it actually selling at my reserve are slim, in my opinion.

i thought that trading in might be an option. apparently it's not unless one is willing to really bend over and take the shaft:

1) NADA dealer trade-in on a less-well-equipped RX-8 than mine is $13,650 (doesn't take into account HIDs, foglights, moonroof, Bose, TCS/stability control, Homelink mirror)

2) 2008 Honda Fit Sport 5-speed invoice is $14,700 or so + a $600ish destination fee.

3) i thus offered a very reasonable $3055 differential between the NADA value on my trade and MSRP on the car ($16,700). again, note the caveat that NADA doesn't reflect the actual car, and note that this would give them profit/padding on both the trade-in (built-in to "trade in price" vs. retail) and on the car (MSRP vs. invoice, and you know they already profit at invoice).

4) they offered a $6,700 differential. no. freaking. way. that's quite a few years of gas and insurance as dan-o rightly points out.

:lighten:

(oh, they are apparently selling Fits with a $4,000 markup... more power to them if they can move them at $4k over MSRP, i guess.)

Cliffs Notes: if my RX-8 sells on eBay then i'll be scouring the low end of the market. if it doesn't there's no way i'm trading it in since dealers are simply unreasonable.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
one interesting news item that popped up today was that Chrysler is planning on offering $2.99 gas/E85/diesel with their cars. apparently it's good for 12k miles/yr x 3 yrs at the rated fuel economy of the vehicle in question (combined cycle, i presume).

http://money.cnn.com/2008/05/06/news/companies/chrysler_jobs.ap/index.htm?cnn=yes

does this math work out in favor of Chrysler? let's do a few rough calculations, one in the small car scenario, and the other in the big diesel truck scenario.

scenario 1.

2008 dodge caliber fwd 1.8L 5-speed. 24/29 city/hwy mpg, 26 mpg combined.

12,000 miles / 26 mpg == 461.5 gallons of fuel.

using today's 3.61/regular price, you'd thereby save $286 dollars each year, or just shy of $860 over three years.
scenario 2.

2008 dodge ram cummins. not rated by the EPA since it's GVWR is so ginormous, but let's be optimistic and assume it can get 20 mpg combined.

12,000 miles / 20 mpg == 600 gallons of fuel.

using 4.25/diesel price, you'd thereby save $756 dollars each year, or just shy of $2268 over three years.
so we have numbers, and they can actually be non-negligible for wasteful vehicles with expensive gas. but does it make any sense? imo, not unless you actually had a need for a huge truck. keep in mind that it retails over $40k, probably wouldn't get my estimated mileage, is impossible to park, would depreciate like a rock (seen the incentives lately?), and would be very difficult to unload once the 3 yr program expired... however, this program probably will steer the scant remaining full-size truck buyers from other makes to dodge's door for the time being.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
A side note on the Fit. I sent a "dealer request" via Edmunds to all 4 local Honda shops for a Fit Sport and got $14,700 out the door with all the options my wife wants. The sticker at the dealership had a $4k dealer markup as well, but side stepping that is a non-issue.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
A side note on the Fit. I sent a "dealer request" via Edmunds to all 4 local Honda shops for a Fit Sport and got $14,700 out the door with all the options my wife wants. The sticker at the dealership had a $4k dealer markup as well, but side stepping that is a non-issue.
that's good to know. however, the Fit is now off my own personal table. if the RX-8 doesn't sell i'm obviously keeping it. if it does sell then i'm going downmarket, perhaps not as downmarket as a late-80s Tercel but significant enough to reap some immediate rewards while still retaining 4 wheels. or maybe a 3 wheeler... hmm :D

on the original thread topic, here's a good read from the Rocky Mountain Institute. they've been calling for ultralight carbon fiber cars for many a year now, and now their ideas are seeming strangely prescient.

http://www.rmi.org/sitepages/pid469.php

RMI said:

Figure 1. Toyota's impressive 1/X carbon-fiber concept car (2007) has the interior space of a Prius midsize hybrid, but is three times lighter and twice as fuel-effcient. Its half-liter flex-fuel engine, tucked under the rear seat, is supplemented by grid electricity via 20 extra kg of batteries. The plug-in hybrid's remaining curb mass, 400 kg, is exactly what I'd claimed in 1991 (to much industry mirth) a good carbon-fiber four-seater could weigh.

[...]

On 10 October 2007, Toyota announced the industry’s best-yet Hypercar®-class concept car— the 1/X (pronounced “one-Xth”—see Fig. 1) shown at the Tokyo Motor Show 26 October. Many concept cars never get to market. But a day earlier, Nikkei had reported that Toray, the world’s biggest carbon-fiber maker, plans a $0.3-billion factory in Nagoya to mass-produce carbon-fiber body panels and other auto parts for Toyota, Nissan, and others. Together, these two announcements signal strategic intent. Toyota is a proven gamechanger: in the U.S., its Prius hybrid, shown as a concept car in Tokyo in 1995, outsold in 2007 even Ford’s Explorer—the top-selling SUV for over a decade. In 2007 alone, U.S. Prius sales soared 69 percent to 181,221, while Explorer sales fell below onethird of their 2000 peak of 445,000.1 Toyota reported 2007 U.S. hybrid sales totaling 257,760—76 percent of the national hybrid market. Now practically all automakers are selling or urgently developing hybrids to try to catch up with Toyota.

During 1987–2006, the average light-duty vehicle sold in the U.S. got 29 percent heavier; cars alone got 17 percent heavier and 12 percent denser; but only 30 percent of the fleet’s weight gain (and none in recent years) was caused by bigger cars or by shifts to SUVs, vans, and pickups. Instead, the obesity came from materials and design. Yet in recent months, strategy has begun to go lean: integrative lightweight design has emerged as an important trend. In November 2007, Ford led by announcing a 250–750-pound weight cut in all cars starting in Model Year 2012 (as soon as production can shift) to capture unexpectedly big design synergies. (Mazda had already been quietly lightweighting.) Two months later, Nissan announced a 15 percent average weight cut by MY2015, and China announced an auto lightweighting alliance aiming to cut 660 pounds out of the average car by 2010. Lightweighting is finally emerging as the hottest strategic trend in the industry.

[... much more at the link]

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
after a late night working on the e-bike i got it assembled, and this morning it came to life! it's really fun. my girlfriend took it for a spin (with me on her non-electric bike! pain) and now is very envious, but not so much after she heard how much everything cost...

from my ride pics thread:

the electric bike works! got it working this morning, and now it has just shy of 20 miles on it. i'm using about 20 Wh per mile with my usual pedaling (which is good as there's 48V * 12 Ah, or 576 Wh total battery capacity).

top speed on the flat is around 25 mph in a tuck with no pedaling. right now the gearing on the Nexus hub is such that i'm spinning 100 rpm cadence around 20 mph, but i'll remedy that shortly and will be able to pedal along at 25 mph.

:)

with the controller limit set at 35A i was using up to 1300W peak! as my use of ~20Wh per mile wasn't bad, i'm clearly not drawing that all the time, but it's nice to have that power available for bursts.

on this topic, i'd appreciate any ideas on how to rig up a centerstand (or equivalent)... the kickstand doesn't cut it with all this added weight, especially the batteries up high in the rack trunk.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
tip credit for this one goes to my undergrad riding buddy Thad, aka Thadorama.

remember the early post about my hypothetical soft-hybrid retrofit kit, and the later post about the still-hypothetical full-hybrid kit being developed at some european lab? well, here's one that you can buy today.

The Poulsen Hybrid. http://www.poulsenhybrid.com/index.html $3300 for the SLA version.

Poulsen Hybrid® Power Assist System
patents pending

Creates a PHEV by retro-fitting electric motors, DC motor controllers, storage batteries and an on-board charger to a conventional new or used automobile.

The development is based on the observation that only 10-15 horsepower is required to propel a compact or mid-size automobile along a level road at a steady 60-70 mph. leading to the conclusion that this relatively small amount of electric power would be able to cope with 70-85% of normal driving, only aided by the combustion engine during start up and when extra energy is required for acceleration and hill climbing.

The patented system incorporates powerful electric motors mounted externally onto 2 wheels of a conventional car. The motors are normally applied to the rear wheels, in the process converting a front wheel driven car to all wheel drive. The system works equally well with rear- and all wheel drive vehicles, gasoline or diesel fueled.

[...]

Specifications:

On-Wheel motors: Brushless DC construction. Dimensions 14" diameter x 2". Weight 35 lb. Rated power: 10KW = 13.5 HP (motors on two wheels).
Adapter plates: 4 and 5 bolt patterns, available with 100, 108,114.3mm(4 1/2") and 120mm bolt circle diameters fitting app. 95% of cars.
Motor controllers (2 pc) 72VDC max 120A (one per motor).
Batteries: 6 pc. 12V 120 Amp hours lead/acid deep cycle, or 4 KWh Lithium-ion battery pack (Expected available from several sources by mid 2008).
On board charger: 72 Volts/10 Amp.
Total Weight: App. 300 lb with lead acid batteries, 200 lb with Lithium Ion batteries.
Added un-sprung weight, 38 lb per wheel.
i had some questions about this product after reading the page, and they replied within a few hours.

my questions:

1) How is the system controlled? Throttle pressure switch, a toggle on
the dashboard, a wheel speed sensor, or something entirely else? If it's
manual, do the motors simply keep straining when coming to a stop if the
user forgets to turn the system off?

2) How does the torque arm follow the wheel path on systems with
different suspension geometry?

3) What chemistry are you planning to offer for your lithium battery
pack, how much will it cost, and when will it be available?
their replies:

1. On/off by a toggle on a pot box. The pot is used to select the amount
of superimposed torque.
A relay hooked up to the brake light circuit engages regen when the
pedal is depressed.
2. It has a sliding universal joint which absorbs any relaticve
movement.
3. We'll be testing Lithium Ferro Phosphate shortly. If it works okay
that's what we will offer initially.
who wants to be the guinea pig for this one? :D

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
First off, let me say congrats!

Second, I would say mod the battery pack and get it as low and centered as possible. At least get it up against the seat as best you can. That would help all sorts of things. Saddle bags would be best.

Maybe a rear axle stand (like the walmart bikes) would work better because of the weight location.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
i agree. the bike is really unwieldy now with the weight up high and out back. i mounted the trunk far back because it can't open if underneath the seat if you depict. saddlebags might work, and the bike definitely would be more practical with extra storage.

right now i'm trying to figure out how to carry my trumpet case with the current setup, for instance, and i'm drawing a bit of a blank. it's probably a good 20 x 9 x 8", close to 25 lbs (two heavy trumpets along with accessories and a heavy case itself), and doesn't have shoulder straps because it's large enough that you'd catch it on doorways.

good idea on the rear axle stand. any idea where these are available?

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Where do the wires come out and how does the case open? Can you turn it around so it opens toward you? Or even better, add another latch and make the top removable? How often do you need to get in there? Maybe use some sort of quick release to lock it down, but you can unlatch it and slide it away from the seat to access it?

As far as the rear stand, I would thing and shop could get one. I think they come on comfort bikes, so someone might have a take off you could have.

It looks awesome, that was the perfect candidate. How does it track with the rolling mass front wheel? If you run out of juice, how bad is it on 100% leg power?

Stray_cat

Monkey
Nov 13, 2007
Providence
I was just put on a program yesterday to go to various cities to help setup mass transit bike programs (teaching maintenance, shop setup, etc). Kinda like Zipp car. Just simple Nexus three speed steel rigs, with integrated locking systems, and all the bells and whistles to carry stuff. So far the only place stateside(that I'm dealing with) is a college in Chicago. DC is also supposed to trying something similar. I'm really excited for the program. To date I don't think I've seen a sustainable city wide bike program, so here's hoping.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I was just put on a program yesterday to go to various cities to help setup mass transit bike programs (teaching maintenance, shop setup, etc). Kinda like Zipp car. Just simple Nexus three speed steel rigs, with integrated locking systems, and all the bells and whistles to carry stuff. So far the only place stateside(that I'm dealing with) is a college in Chicago. DC is also supposed to trying something similar. I'm really excited for the program. To date I don't think I've seen a sustainable city wide bike program, so here's hoping.
Check out the now debunked "Portland Yellow Bike" program. It has evolved into some cool programs, but the fact remains that people suck.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
very cool! i think a few pages back i made a post about an e-bike sharing program in the works. you might want to hunt that down, although it will be difficult in this beast of a thread.

Stray_cat

Monkey
Nov 13, 2007
Providence
Check out the now debunked "Portland Yellow Bike" program. It has evolved into some cool programs, but the fact remains that people suck.
I remember that program, stealing was a huge deal. I've been asked to make the frames slightly 'undesirable' to help avoid stealing, but at the end of the day people will steal anything. Personaly I think the project needs citywide support for it to exist for any extended period of time. The DC program will provide some insightful lessons on stealing ;)

Though it's not my favorite method of funding, cities are figuring that a good amount of money can be had by ads on the bikes too.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Where do the wires come out and how does the case open? Can you turn it around so it opens toward you? Or even better, add another latch and make the top removable? How often do you need to get in there? Maybe use some sort of quick release to lock it down, but you can unlatch it and slide it away from the seat to access it?

As far as the rear stand, I would thing and shop could get one. I think they come on comfort bikes, so someone might have a take off you could have.

It looks awesome, that was the perfect candidate. How does it track with the rolling mass front wheel? If you run out of juice, how bad is it on 100% leg power?
it actually rides pretty well! it is very stiff over bumps, with this tendency exacerbated by the high-mounted battery not entirely secure within its trunk, but the handling is quite benign when moving. it's certainly possible to pedal on leg power alone -- it just feels really heavy. just a tiny twist of the throttle and that weight is gone, and a bit more and you can really feel it.

i cruised up the hill to my neighborhood today at 18 mph (with moderate pedaling), for instance, drawing anywhere from 50-600W depending on the grade and my effort, whereas before a good effort on my part would yield 10 mph on the road bike...

:monkeydance:

the trunk's top is hinged at the front. i cut a hole in the plastic immediately below the hinge's level on the left side (wrt the bike) for the power lead to exit. turning it around would sacrifice the reflective strips on the back and wouldn't net me more than an inch or two.

i need to get in there at the beginning and end of each ride, since i'm taking the battery indoors with me for theft prevention, keeping it warm and dry, and recharging it. after all, it is the single most expensive component on the bike by a factor of 3! :D

the sliding idea is a good one, and indeed people have done it: Sliding swagman battery holder [endless-sphere.com forums]. what's holding me back from doing this is that i think the trunk itself is going to disappear on my setup. a single, waterproof pannier on the left side might be just what i need, with the additional benefit that the top of the rack would be free for cargo such as my trumpets' case.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
That's what I was thinking in terms of saddle bags. Depending on the size of the battery pack(s) have them side mounted + cargo, or one side + cargo on the other. I would keep it symmetrical in the event you have no cargo, but either would work.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I remember that program, stealing was a huge deal. I've been asked to make the frames slightly 'undesirable' to help avoid stealing, but at the end of the day people will steal anything. Personaly I think the project needs citywide support for it to exist for any extended period of time. The DC program will provide some insightful lessons on stealing ;)

Though it's not my favorite method of funding, cities are figuring that a good amount of money can be had by ads on the bikes too.
The fact that people were willing to steal a beater bike rattle canned yellow in a hippie town like Portland is a sad sign for humanity.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
That's what I was thinking in terms of saddle bags. Depending on the size of the battery pack(s) have them side mounted + cargo, or one side + cargo on the other. I would keep it symmetrical in the event you have no cargo, but either would work.
i ended up trying a few battery mounting options today.

above is the second version. steel plate with angle brackets and side supports. secured to the water bottle holder bolt bosses. was met with immediate failure: water bottle holder bolts were too flimsy to torsional stresses, the battery itself barely fit in the triangle, and the whole assembly was too wide, causing the cranks and my legs to hit it every revolution. came off after only 5 feet of riding...

the third version was also short lived:

the third version, used only for one ride, from home to REI. the battery itself is huge! here it is strapped directly onto the rear rack, with a super-strong (too strong, actually!) bungee cord on top for good measure. note the waterproofing job on the motor controller, now bolted with plates to the rack. bit more theft resistant this way.

at REI i bought a Ortleib Bike Shopper waterproof pannier. the zipper is the same kind on my old drysuit. sweet. the battery itself fits inside nicely, and seems happy to be in its new home.

mounted up to the right side of the rack. the cord from the controller on the left to the bag just reaches.

a view from the rear. you can see the cord snaking from the left, under the rack, and into the bag, where it attaches with the battery.

yes, the bike now has more weight on the right than the left. it's not that big of a deal when you're riding.

i think we have a winner:

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Those ortleib zippers are infuriating if you don't keep them lubed.
Final configuration looks pretty clean, way better than the rack box.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
with my e-bike's current gearing (38-21t with 7-speed Nexus -- 48-16t is on order) i can't maintain a comfortable cadence over 20 mph, or maybe 22 on a good day. :D given that i appear to have plenty of battery capacity for the length of trips i make and that the electric bits will push the bike to a solid ~25 mph on flat ground i did an experiment today. note that i post with proper capitalization elsewhere, heh.

Toshi said:
Since I have so much battery still to spare even running 15 miles at a pop -- I could probably eke out 40+ miles -- I think I'm going to modify my riding style a bit to gain speed and to see how efficiency is affected:

1) Motor only when the grade is close enough to flat that it can propel me at > 20 mph, with this speed chosen because efficiency is ~66% or higher

2) Hill climbing at 18 mph, full throttle, with me pedaling only enough so that the speed doesn't sag vs. pedaling fiercely as I've been trained to do for all these years (it's a strange feeling being in a really tall gear on a hill that I'd have no chance of pushing on my own!).
Toshi said:
I had a chance to try out this technique today over 12.33 hilly* miles. Via my spreadsheet I used 24.55 Wh/mile. I didn't check the CA before disconnecting the battery to bring it up to charge, but the figures have been within 6% or so, so it's in the ballpark.

On uphills I maintained 18-20 mph, sometimes taking all of my effort in addition to all the motor could put out at its 18 mph power peak. On flat sections with a semi-tuck (difficult with wide riser bars!) I was jetting along at anywhere from 23-27 mph. These figures that I've been seeing are roughly on par with those that Bob McKree reported, perhaps a little more efficient. This is not surprising since I'm pedaling basically every start up to ~10 mph so as to avoid the inefficient part of the power curve. (Also, the 1.75" high pressure tires and non-sky high bars relative to the seat help.)

Sweet. I'm entirely satisfied with these speeds. If I were to go faster I wouldn't want a bike as the platform since sitting up in the air seems wrong. What I'd want:

- Enclosed steel dropouts for a Crystalyte 5304, OR a ETEK driving a chain or belt
- Built in and fully enclosed battery storage very centrally on the bike with an on-board charger
- Motorcycle grade suspension -- no Ohlins, just off the shelf Honda trials bike stuff...
- Proper motorcycle style lighting
- Much better aerodynamics! Recumbent? Velomobile? Something different.
- Could be registered as a moped

Basically I'm describing a Jackal done properly. No SLA bulk, better aero, much less ugly, less emphasis on off-road use. The Jackal again, for reference:

(* almost all my routes are hilly as the house I'm renting is basically atop one of them and the hardware store, lately my favorite haunt, is atop another)

Cliffs Notes: i'm happy with the performance of this first e-bike that i've built. i feel that aerodynamics, frame/dropout strength, and battery position are the main limiting factors of the bike platform at this point, and these are not easy issues to address without going custom.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
i think it's already been mentioned in this thread but my experience speccing and building my own bike has given me new perspective:

eGo. http://egovehicles.com/products/north-america/

$1899 for the middle-spec roadworthy one depicted above.

24V brushed DC motor (ETEK?) at a maximum of 200A with a belt drive to the rear wheel. 24V 34Ah of SLA (816 Wh). 130 lbs. claimed 25 mile range for 150 lb rider on flat terrain. limited to 24 or 18 mph depending on mode.
so how does what i've built compare? i've spent a couple hundred dollars more, but i could have used a costco/walmart bike instead of a "real bike" with the Nexus hub and made up the difference.

eGo in a glance:

- 130 lbs
- 816 Wh of SLA batteries translating to claimed 25 mile range under ideal conditions
- decidedly not going to fit on a bus bike rack :homer: , not to mention not welcomed on bike paths or locked up at bike racks
- nominally rated 1.5 kW/4.3kW peak brushed motor with belt drive
- suspension fork/seatpost, lights, mirrors, DOT legal
- limited to 24 mph, probably for range issues as well as DOT regulations in order to be registered as a moped

my Transfer/Crystalyte e-bike in a glance:

- ~75 lbs
- 576 Wh of LiFePO4 batteries translating to 25+ mile range under worst conditions (flat out 25 mph without pedaling except to get moving as i did today), or 40+ miles if babying it
- fits on bus bike racks and has the option of pedaling back if it came down to that
- peak power to the ground of ~850W at around 18 mph
- rigid as they come
- ~25 mph on flat ground, and can add speed over this if not lazy

given that my fancy LiFePO4 batteries should last 3x longer if not more than SLA i think i did ok.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Twike. www.twike.us

20,500 Euros. yes, ridiculously expensive. and yes, those are pedals: this is a human-electric hybrid, like the idea of my e-bike taken to its (il)logical extreme. it also comes in an electric-only version.

"5 kW" AC electric motor. 353V 20Ah LiMn battery pack. top speed of ~53 mph, range of <=90 miles. more if you pedal...
cool, but the cost... egad. i'd MUCH rather have an Aptera for $30,000 USD.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
BugE. http://www.bugev.net/

sold as a kit: $3400 for the chassis, suspension, fairing and bodywork, canopy, motor and wheel sprockets, wheels/brakes/tires. $325 for the electrical bits (not electric: wiring harness, brake light, switches, etc.). $1300 for the electric kit: 48V DC drive motor, controller, charger, throttle, power meter, DC-DC converter.

note that a battery is not included, and price your own labor accordingly.

if you're not crafty then HarveyEV sells the BugE complete for $9300 with SLAs, no doubt with a hefty markup.

specs for the kit version:

Advanced DC 140-01-4005 motor (24-48V, 3.8 hp). Alltrax 24-48V 300A controller. 48V battery of your choice, based on your range requirements and an estimated energy use of 50 Wh/mile.

range from 40-120 miles depending on the battery. 45 mph at 48V. run it at 60V (with different components to match and a higher price) and you can get 65 mph.
most everything is built in the pac nw! 50 Wh/mile for this vehicle compares to the 24 Wh/mile i use when running my e-bike flat out and ~13 Wh/mile when using it only for assist on hills.

i actually really like the look of this one. has the attributes that i'd look for in a platform in between a bike and a car (just as the video says): weather and wind protection, 3-wheel stability, aerodynamics, light weight, layout optimized for electric drive rather than the hobbled design of bicycles. has room for 2 bags of groceries.

of course, i don't think it makes any financial sense whatsoever at the assembled prices ($9,300 for SLA! no way). build one yourself, however... <wheels turning in head>

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I'm continuing to greatly enjoy the ebike. Although my cheap $12 headlight/flasher decided to self-destruct from a bump while at speed, I nevertheless logged 20.71 pleasant miles today. The ultimate destination was a eZee dealer across town . Yes, I went there to taunt them.

:busted:

Stats from today's ride:

20.71 miles at 17.4 mph average (not bad given the stoplights and tooling around trying to find the place!). I'm now at the 90 mile mark overall on my fifth day of having it up and running.
49.0V ending voltage on the pack, with a minimum in the 41 V range seen under heavy load
6.992 Ah
316.24 Wh total
15.3 Wh/mi via the CA!

I am quite pleased with 15.3 Wh/mi given that there were quite a few extended flat sections where I didn't pedal at all and let the motor whir away. I did note that there was a 40.x A peak even though I have the current limit set within the CA at 35A (again, I have a 36-48V 35A controller) so I dialed the CA's current limit to 30A to be on the safe side.

Yesterday I crafted myself a U-lock holder out of four zipties... I'll have to retrieve the dSLR from the girl's place some time soon and give the bike a proper photo shoot.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Dude. You're obsessed. Get help.

:monkey:
such is the life of the chronically hypomanic... i figure as long as jbp is around, with his spreadsheet of fuel economy values on his Astro van down to 8 decimal places, i'm comparatively normal.

:lighten: